Thread: Anchor River Steelhead

Default Anchor River Steelhead

I am looking for some current information about steelhead fishing on the Anchor River. Fish and Game reports that most of the steelhead are already out of the river. I have heard from fisherman that in the past the steelhead have been in the river until it is too cold to fish. So I would love to hear from anyone who has some insight to this fishery.

Thanks

Default They'll be there all winter

Anchor river steelhead overwinter in the river and spawn in the spring.

That is my understanding as well. They are just starting to come in from the reports that I have heard.

Default Good fishing!!

If you find yourself lucky enough to be withen an hour of the anchor your a lucky man. The fishing has been good with unwieghted muddlers and fry patterns taking the top quality fish. Some egg stuffed dollies are still fighting for flies. Tred light and read all fish and game regs if not familiar with the area. You may find a few stray silver salmon to test your gear. Cutting your own leaders from a spool of 8lb test saves money and keeps your leaders fresh. I use a 6-8 foot section yet some guys go to 3 feet for sink tips. Have a good time and enjoy learning about a fish that deserves top treatment.

Default Annual Fall trip

last week - found fishing slower. First 2 days no hookups and none by anglers I saw or talked to. But a good slug of fish came through Thursday afternoon.

Variables: In my brief (compared to some guys there) 5 year hx of annual trips, the Anchor seems to turn off and on, sometimes related to tides, but sometimes not. Fish show up, then vanish... then more show. Some warm years, high water blows the river out for a couple of days - nearby Ninilchik or Deep Creek can be tripsaving options. When temps drop, water levels improve - concentrating the fish. I recall landing one steelie who swam under a large ice sheet in an eddy pool - but the river seems to stay fishable til freeze-up, sometime in the 20-31 Oct range.

Patience: Friends agree with Charholio - the fish stay in the river. Talk to guys there - some keep their cards close, but others will share tips. The river is worth exploring. Egg, leech, sometimes nymph patterns, but sometimes something different in a fly gets fish, when they're around. I fish a sink tip, but most don't. Good luck.

Default Special fishery...

1. More private land "posted". Hiking upstream on the North and South Forks, I saw more posted signs than before. Most guys seem to be considerate/respectful of property owners' rights along the stream. In the long run, any other attitude will just make it tougher to keep enjoying this special fishery.

2. A few old timers along the Anchor River might say something if they learn you don't crimp your barbs. That attitude to me is a sign of respect for the fishery. Besides, crimping the barb helps me extra-concentrate on landing the fish. Read the regulations too. Steelhead fishing is catch and release only. For the protection of the fish in fact, "Rainbow/Steelhead Trout may not be removed from the water".

Have fun. Dress warm.

Just came back from the Anchor a few days ago. Steelies are there but the ice is gaining on the river.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel