View Poll Results: Sight Indicator Or Bouncing The Bottom

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sight Indicator

    15 39.47%
  • Bouncing the Bottom

    23 60.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Sight Indicator Or Bouncing The Bottom?

  1. #1
    Member liv2fish87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    278

    Default Sight Indicator Or Bouncing The Bottom?

    hmmmm which do people have better luck with? i know i do well with certain flies better on the bottom and i also have more success with beads with the indicator.....

    WHAT ABOUT YOU!

  2. #2
    Member big_dog60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    between wasilla and palmer
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    I use an indicator with beads but not with flies. I tried indicators with some of my flys but never had any luck.

  3. #3
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    depends on the water, the fly the mood of the fish etc. When done correctly using an indicator bounces the fly on the bottom...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Indicator? Folks, no matter what fancy name you call it or what shape it comes in, it's a bobber. No harm in using one, but I always laugh when fly fishermen try to make themselves feel better (or sound more serious?) by calling it an "indicator". As for me, I don't use bobbers too often, but they have their place. When drifting the Upper Kenai, bobbers sometimes come in handy. When fishing the bank, I'll almost always bounce.

  5. #5
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Bobber Primer

    Bobber:


    Float


    Indicator:


    Duh


    Also I use the indicator primarily to get a drag free drift as it indicates to me what the current is doing to my line. Its all about getting a better drift. Watching it go under after a fish strikes is just a bonus...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  6. #6
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Bobber Primer

    Bobber:


    Float


    Indicator:


    Duh


    Also I use the indicator primarily to get a drag free drift as it indicates to me what the current is doing to my line. Its all about getting a better drift. Watching it go under after a fish strikes is just a bonus...

    Right!!!
    Bobbers are used for rock bass and bluegills, usually while drowning worms.
    While floats are used by us centerpinning fools.
    And indicators are used by the fly guys.

  7. #7
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    I still don't get why you would centerpin over spin or baitcast
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  8. #8
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I still don't get why you would centerpin over spin or baitcast

    Give it a try sometime and you'll figure it out.

    Tha main advantages are longer drag free drifts & better line control.
    Plus it doesn't hurt that those longer drifts keep the bait/fly etc. in the water longer putting it in front of more fish.

  9. #9
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Interesting

    A float is a float is a float call it what you may but it is still a float.
    I do not use them, I shall not use them, I can not use them Sam I am.
    Isn't Drag Free Fishing a *****!
    All I want to do is learn to mend my Floating Line " Holy Crap" is that a Bobber as well ?

    Sorry had to have some fun. They have their place some people can't fish without I have never found them to have any distinct advantage for fly fishing but then again I am old.

    I have used them Jig Fishing as well as Roe fishing for Kings a float that is becuase I would never fish bobbers :-)

    Tight Lines Best Wishes

    Moose-O

  10. #10

    Default Here is why I do:

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I still don't get why you would centerpin over spin or baitcast
    I used to bounce with weights from the bank, but now I love bobbers:
    1. Much longer drift. ( of course you have to have elbow room for this )
    2. If there are weeds you can put your bait (bait meaning anything live, dead, or artificial that attracts a fish) drifting right over the weeds without getting hung up
    3. You see that light bite before you feel it
    4. You get better hook sets from straight up
    5. You get a better angle on the fish so you can drift your "bait" on the other side of a rock without hanging up

    I hope didn't misinterpreted your statement.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

  11. #11
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    so I understand that a 15 foot rod helps but you could throw a spinning reel on a centerpin rod and do the same thing right? Now a centerpin with a floating running line that you can mend real easy...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  12. #12
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    AKPM
    With a spinning reel in order to have longer drifts you need to leave the bail open in order for line to spool off where as with a center pin the spool turns freely on bearings to pay out line. Big deal you say, it is if you don't want to mis fish. With the spinning reel you either need to trap the line with your fingers or colse the bail to set the hook where as with a CP you just clamp down on the spool rim with your fingers and set the hook. The difference in reaction time may only be a 1/4 second or so but that is more than plenty of time for a fish to spit your bead, fly etc.
    Notice in the photo that my fingers have to move laess than a 1/4" to lock the spool before setting the hook. Back in the early days of centerpinning on the Great Lakes I too thought why not just continue to use a spinning reel, after being consistently out fished by my friends who were running them I gave in. I have several friends in AK that are finally coming around as well. Not to mention the others I have already corrupted!!!!
    I would be happy to corrupt you during next Septembers trip if you so desire.

    I should also say that it's not the be all and end all. I still spend a lot of time with the fly rod or bottom bouncing. It all depends on the situation.


  13. #13

    Default

    With a CP you can run your float for as long as you can see it without any drag. Plus, you can stop it for a second or slow it down easy. The long rods really help when mending line. Even with a spinning reel with the bail open, the line will sometimes need be peeled off the reel to keep the drift drag-free. No doubt CP is the best way to float fish. Baitcasters aren't too shabby either.

  14. #14
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    I watches Drifter use his CP reel this year, Im a "bobber guy. I was inpressed with is drifts, He is also open to using a spinning reel and just a standard fly rod and reel. He is a quality fisherman and a man I had a blast with on the river and camp this year. Someday when Im rich and famous like Dave ill have a CP setup too.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sierra foothills
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Bobber Primer

    Bobber:


    Float


    Indicator:


    Duh

    Um, not so duh:




    Sure look like floats to me, but them flyswatter fellers still call them indicators.

  16. #16
    Member G_Smolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    5819'59"N 13429'49"W
    Posts
    413

    Default

    In my latest article, I push for the adoption of the word "Bobbercator", a term that encompasses both worlds.

    Seriously, though...folks that HAVE to use the term 'indicator' or feel the need to defend such a word need to lighten the hell up. Get over yourselves and admit what the rest of the world knows...It's a bobber.

    I fish bobbercators when I need them, and if I can possibly work a hole without one, I let my line go naked. Sometimes I switch up to the bobbercator when I feel the need for visual stimulus, but most of the time I let them languish in the dark recesses of the gear-bag.

    Remember...not 'indicator', not 'bobber'...BOBBERCATOR.

    Y'all will thank me one day.

  17. #17
    Member liv2fish87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    278

    Default wow

    incredible

  18. #18
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    the bobbercator brings out the little kid in me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  19. #19
    Member Skookumchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    AKPM
    With a spinning reel in order to have longer drifts you need to leave the bail open in order for line to spool off where as with a center pin the spool turns freely on bearings to pay out line. Big deal you say, it is if you don't want to mis fish. With the spinning reel you either need to trap the line with your fingers or colse the bail to set the hook where as with a CP you just clamp down on the spool rim with your fingers and set the hook. The difference in reaction time may only be a 1/4 second or so but that is more than plenty of time for a fish to spit your bead, fly etc.
    Notice in the photo that my fingers have to move laess than a 1/4" to lock the spool before setting the hook. Back in the early days of centerpinning on the Great Lakes I too thought why not just continue to use a spinning reel, after being consistently out fished by my friends who were running them I gave in. I have several friends in AK that are finally coming around as well. Not to mention the others I have already corrupted!!!!
    I would be happy to corrupt you during next Septembers trip if you so desire.

    I should also say that it's not the be all and end all. I still spend a lot of time with the fly rod or bottom bouncing. It all depends on the situation.


    Sweet grip! Did you make it? Birch bark?

    Edit: Oh yeah...bobbers are for wimps!!
    Nice Marmot.

  20. #20
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Sweet grip! Did you make it? Birch bark?

    Edit: Oh yeah...bobbers are for wimps!!
    Thanks Skookum, I did indeed make it. It is made of Cottonwood bark from a downed tree in Cooper Creek CG. The ends are composite cork and the checkers are maple and cocobolo with brass accent rings. The reel seat and butt cap are Amboyna Burl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •