Thread: fuel containers

Default fuel containers

Does anyone know where the best place (Anchorage, or the valley) to get the black poly fuel containers. The 15 gal size works best for me.
    thanks in advance

Alaska Battery Supply on Potter just east of C St. carries them. I think the 15gal ones are about $30.

Alaska Battery Mfg.
    166 E. Potter Dr. #2 Anchorage AK 99518
    ph: (907) 562-4949
    http://www.absak.com
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Dewey's in the past has sold the 15 gallon white poly fuel containers. The white containers won't heat up/expand as much when in the sun as the black containers. I went with the white containers and made white covers for the containers to minimize effects of the containers sitting in the sun.

Default containers

thanks guys, Ill check them out today

SEA MARITA has them, think they were $99....
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default The mechanics will love you!!

Hope you are using the containers for storage and not running on them, as they collect water and will ruin your motor in a short time.
    50% of all of my rebuilds were due to water, and most of them came from running off these piece of @*#! poly's

Quote Originally Posted by akdawg View Post
    Hope you are using the containers for storage and not running on them, as they collect water and will ruin your motor in a short time.
    50% of all of my rebuilds were due to water, and most of them came from running off these piece of @*#! poly's
    Please explain how they collect water - I have never heard this before.

Default Condensation

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Please explain how they collect water - I have never heard this before.
    Just as airplanes have pitcocks to drain condensation from their tanks. The poly tanks will condense moisture,which is collected in the bottom of the drums, sucked into the motor and boom. PROBLEMS !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Pre-caution

I can't believe most guys aren't taking pre cautions with water by having some sort of water/fuel separator and when siphoning, using the Mr. Funnel or something else. I realize water will still be there, but shouldn't be enough to shut you down, should it?
    I run polys and use one to run off and others to store. Siphon with Mr. Funnel into the run tank that is hooked to a Raycor before the engine.
    Seems like removing water from a poly would be alot easier than getting it out of a built in.

It is really easy to avoid getting water in your fuel if you are runnning off the plastic drums. First make your pick up tube about 1 inch short. Since water is heavier than gas it sinks to the bottom. If you are a boater and do not run a fuel filter/water separator then you deserve to have problems.
    That being said, buy the white containers. Much easier to use since you can see the level of the fuel inside. But 30 gallon containers are really cheap to get at the local car washes.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Just as airplanes have pitcocks to drain condensation from their tanks. The poly tanks will condense moisture,which is collected in the bottom of the drums, sucked into the motor and boom. PROBLEMS !!
    How is that different than all the other tanks in boats? Don't most poly's have a low spot for water to settle making it easy to use most of the gas and leave the water where most permanent tanks suck off of a flat bottom and take everything?

In either case running fuel through a high quality filter is a necessity.

One word of cution on the white containiers from car washes and places like that - They are not DOT approved for fuel. I have used them for years with no problems but recently had Fred Meyers shut down the pump I was using and refused to let me fill them because they were not "approved" containers.

Charterboat Operator

saw some blue, round 15's at Spotsmans Warhouse today for $35.00.
    i, like Rambling Raven, just use the white 15's. havent had the pumps shut down on met, yet

Default Blue tanks

Bought 3 of the blue 15 gal polys at SW a few years back ($20 each, inflation!) They work great. I have seen, and I have done it too, people open the plastic caps with a leatherman or something besides a bung wrench. Spend the money for the bung wrench, and a backup. Poked a hole through the cap in the rain with a leatherman, which made that tank useless for the rest of the trip. Also, the rubber band style gaskets need to be replaced often and take more with you just in case.

I have an older 1981 80 hp Merc sittin' on my older river boat and it still runs like a top. That motor has had nothing other fuel from a poly drum it's whole life. The motor has never been tore apart or any mechanical problems.

I have the pick up about a inch of the bottom, run a fuel/water seperator and change the filter every spring. I also use the red bottles of heat in the poly every now and then.

I love running polys personally with a quick disconnect on my smaller river boat. It allows me to shift weight easily on the boat depending on what I am hauling.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Blue Water Drums

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Also, the rubber band style gaskets need to be replaced often and take more with you just in case.
    I bought two myself and replaced the vent hole gasket with an o-ring and then purchased a bung gasket made for gasoline(Replacement gasket for the black and white drums). Still holding tight going on three years. They work great for the price. The only problem is I don't trust the handle when their full but I have yet to break one.

Default Some good answers

Good to hear that we all agree that the pick up line should be off the bottom, so not to draw in water.
    The drums are great, however the vent is the problem, water sits in the cap / vent and leaks into tank. Not sure waht type of washers are used for the gasoilne purpose, but would like to hear more on this for ventting.

Default Gaskets

The drums are great, however the vent is the problem, water sits in the cap / vent and leaks into tank. Not sure waht type of washers are used for the gasoilne purpose, but would like to hear more on this for ventting.
    AKDAWG,

I'm not exactly positive I know what you're asking but I think you must be asking about gaskets for the fill/vent caps. I purchased the bung gaskets from Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna. I asked about fuel gaskets and they led me to them (down the same isle as the gas cans, oil, etc...). I have one of the black more expensive drums also and they seem to be the same gaskets that come with them. I'm not positive they were made specifically for gasoline but I was told that they were. They do last longer (haven't replaced one yet) than other gaskets I have used. As for the vent cap I just used a regular o-ring. I never open the vent cap when fueling as the fill cap is so large and I siphon the gas out.