Thread: November Southeast Goat Hunt

Default November Southeast Goat Hunt

I'm thinking about goat hunting during Thanksgving this year. I've heard that the colder it gets the lower the goats are. I've even heard they come down to the coast. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience when hunting goats this late?

I was planning on boating to Misty Fjords and climbing up the punch bowl cove trail.

Normally, temperature doesn't seem to be the trigger that forces the goats down to lower elevations. However, as snow depth increases the goats are often pushed down into the timber. On heavy snowfall years they may even get pushed down to the shoreline. They are amazing animals and quite capable of living in some extreme conditions.

I'm not too familiar with the conditions in Misty but I would keep an eye on the snow levels & depth prior to your trip. If we don't have much snow by then the goats will probably still be high on the hill.

Good luck and be careful...we have had some bad storms in the past around Thanksgiving.

Default beach goat

He's right..........severe conditions for goats to head to the beach. It depends on local topography too. Some locations don't have intermediate relief for the goats and that leaves em no choice but to decend. I'm sure those unique locations are well gaurded by those in the know. Most spots will be in the backcountry and make for some really serious winter camping situations. Lots of camping with a little goat hunting thrown in. Short days.......LONG nights.

We already have fresh snow in the Misty's and quite often you could have too much in November for any kind of access to the mtn tops. Can't tell you when the goats start moving down.

Snow level is currently around 1,800 here in J-town.

We has some beautiful WX on Mon/Tue this week. I glassed one goat up on Mt. Juneau after work on Monday and two up on Heintzlemen Ridge from the Breeze-In parking lot in Lemon Cr. They are starting to get their fall/winter coats.

The later the hunt, the lower they will be . . . Certainly heard tales of many hunters shooting 'em right from the boat in Tracy/Endicott Arms.

in cordova right now, we have snow at sea level in many places but the majority of the snow starts aright around 800 feet probably, heard reports of 3-4 feet up around 1500. goats should start coming down in those conditions. sucky hunting though....i mean walkin'....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Not too sure about weather or snow being a factor. I have seen them at tidewater all months of the year and I have seen them on top of the highest peaks in the area all months of the year. They do go up and down though and one can get lucky sometimes. We hunted goats in PWS one winter. Snow was at least 8 feet on the level in Valdez. Goats out in the Sound were as high as I have ever seen them. Did not see any down low on that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Snow level is currently around 1,800 here in J-town.

We has some beautiful WX on Mon/Tue this week. I glassed one goat up on Mt. Juneau after work on Monday and two up on Heintzlemen Ridge from the Breeze-In parking lot in Lemon Cr. They are starting to get their fall/winter coats.

The later the hunt, the lower they will be . . . Certainly heard tales of many hunters shooting 'em right from the boat in Tracy/Endicott Arms.
    Best hope those people dont get popped doing that

Default goats

Thanks for the info guys, I'm thinking of checking it out and hiking up as high as I the weather will let me. I noticed we had fresh snow over the weekend on the mountain tops. Even if its impossible to get one it would still be a good trip because Taquan, promech, pac air, and all the others won't be buzzing the mountains at all hours of the day!

Default Long Nights

Bighorse mentioned a very important aspect of hunting in November.....Long Nights. Steep, ice covered mountain goat country makes for rough ad tough hiking and climbing conditions in the dark. Long November nights result in a lot of "tent-time". If hunting solo, one must be self confident to remail mentally tough. If not hunting alone, one needs to really know the hunting partner to not go crazy during those long, cold nights in the tent.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Default crampons

might be needed, especially frost/ice covered grass, etc. Be safe! Wish I had the time to do it!

Austin,

It depends on the snow level there, but Ive seen goats on the beaches in November out in the mistys. I know the herd on brown/dude/diane drops down behind ketchikan lakes about then. And the large herd south of town, John Mt, Mahoney mt, comes all the way down to the beach and right behind silvis. So you will definetely be catching them on their way down, if not shooting them from the boat.

I have tried those late season hunts in the Misty and none have ever worked out ... they are tough hunts.

Many times the Goats just head for virticle ground when the snow gets deep ... and the Misty has plenty of that upland away from the beach.

I have known of a few late season goats taken in the Misty over many years but not that many.