Thread: BLR takedown

Default BLR takedown

My first big game rifle was a model 94 30-30. Since that rifle I have been a fan of lever guns but havn't found them very practical so my entire inventory is (aside from that rifle) is bolt guns. The BLR take down in 450 Marlin sure seems to offer a unique package! I like to hunt from my sled and intend on making another spring bear run with it this year. The idea of having a thumper rifle that breaks down and fits into a pack is GREAT. My question is regarding the precision of a take down like this. Would it make sense to install a frontier style scope on the barrel or are they precise enough to mount the scope in the standard position and expect to be dead on through multiple dissasemblies? I have a breakdown Papoose .22 that does very good but most shots with it are fairly short.

LuJon, I mounted a Leupold Scout scope on my 1895G and the accuracies is great! I shot of course using both eyes open, it provides an excellent field of view. Never needed the scope on my 'brush" gun on the receiver due to the WWG rear sight mounted - if need be I could take scope off with the QR levers and use the irons.

The BLR take down is a nice rifle but it has one feature about it that is poorly designed. After you take apart the rifle there is a long thin metal lever that sticks straight out on the receiver end of the rifle. There is no way to fold this lever up out of the way until the rifle is put together. Take a look at this before you purchase one to make sure you can live with it because once the rifle is taken down this lever sticks out unprotected.

Does this make for easier cleaning of the barrel?

The part in question has no bearing on the cleaning of the barrel. Once the rifle is broken down into it's two key components the barrel is super easy to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    The BLR take down is a nice rifle but it has one feature about it that is poorly designed. After you take apart the rifle there is a long thin metal lever that sticks straight out on the receiver end of the rifle. There is no way to fold this lever up out of the way until the rifle is put together. Take a look at this before you purchase one to make sure you can live with it because once the rifle is taken down this lever sticks out unprotected.
    That is a dissapointment! I may still take a look but if I can't break it down and just stuff it in a pack I might as well get a guide gun!

I looked at one at boonies today. I see what you mean about the metal latch hanging out when it is broken down. It still looks pretty sturdy though. I might have to consult the crystal ball and see if a take down BLR 20" bbl 450 marlin is in my future!