Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meindl Boots

Default Meindl Boots

Has anyone tried a pair of Meindl boots from Cabelas? Im looking at a pair of Denali hunters.

In my experience, boot fit is so different from model to model and from foot to foot that I would personally never buy a boot that I haven't tried on first. I'm not sure if any local retailers carry Meindl, but you might want to consider going into Barney's and trying on the LOWA sheephunters. I have not found another boot that can compare to its quality and comfort. As an added bonus, you'd be supporting a local retailer instead of a big box catalog store.

If Barneys doesn't have your size I would also check boot country on the Old Seward Hwy for the Lowa's. I have Kenetrek Mtn boots and they are very good as well.

I've got the Alaska Hunters, and I love them. I actually visited a Cabela's store and tried on all three of the Meindl/Cabela boot models. I'm glad I did. I bought a different model and a different size than the one I had in my mind when I walked into the store.

Default Meindl Boots

I've got a pair of the Meindl Alaska Hunters as well, and they are a great boot! I got them for a hunt that I did this fall. I've put quite a few miles on them (while training and also while I was on my hunt) and no foot problem to speak of.
    I would recommend any of the Meindl Boots.
    DJ

Default Got the Alaska Hunters

Best boots I have ever had. Everyone else in my group had wet feet and blisters. For once, I was the one dry and blister free.

I spent the summer breaking these in and was very satisfied with the support. It actually took some breaking in at the boot top around my leg. My feet are wide and the normal width fit me well. Would not be afraid to mail order from Cabelas, because if the fit is not right, they will get you the right size or get you into another boot.

I have two pair of Sitka's.

One is corked, the other the factory Vibram.

Corks are like 4WD down here in S.E.

Too bad they stopped making them . . . .

Default Scarpa

I owned a pair of the Meindl Alaskan Hunters and they were wonderful. Then I got a pair of Scarpa Liskamm from Barney's and they were even better. They are a little more expensive than the Meindl, but they have a stiffer sole as well as more ankle support. They seem to be more durable than the Meindl also.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I owned a pair of the Meindl Alaskan Hunters and they were wonderful. Then I got a pair of Scarpa Liskamm from Barney's and they were even better. They are a little more expensive than the Meindl, but they have a stiffer sole as well as more ankle support. They seem to be more durable than the Meindl also.
    I have mentioned the Liskamm's a number of times here as a boot I want to try after my Kenetrek's break down. I don't think they would be a very good lowland boot but they look like a fantastic mountain boot! My kenetreks are great but I found that I can't dig my instep into a side hill and have it hold. The torsion on my foot is such that my foot flexes and places the sole flat on the hill side. The outside of my foot will cut right in and hold with with very little of the sole actually on the ground. I don't know if that makes sense but I am curious how the Liskamm performs side hilling. I am also curious how they perform in the wet?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have mentioned the Liskamm's a number of times here as a boot I want to try after my Kenetrek's break down. I don't think they would be a very good lowland boot but they look like a fantastic mountain boot! My kenetreks are great but I found that I can't dig my instep into a side hill and have it hold. The torsion on my foot is such that my foot flexes and places the sole flat on the hill side. The outside of my foot will cut right in and hold with with very little of the sole actually on the ground. I don't know if that makes sense but I am curious how the Liskamm performs side hilling. I am also curious how they perform in the wet?
    They have Gortex, and they perform well in the wet. Also, they are very stiff, but I find them comfortable on flat ground also, although they really perform in the mountains. Sidehilling is never easy, but these boots make it bearable. Better in all those areas than the Meindl.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default love em

I got a pair at the Boise Cabela's this summer and love them. I was tired of wet feet and was going to get a pair of Danners. The salesman recomended trying the Meindl's and I got them instead. I don't remember what exact model they are though. I have put several miles on them with no blisters. I really like them.

Default Lowa's over Meindl's

Any day. There is a big difference there, at least on my feet. The Lowa's were the most comfortable boot I have ever put on. Put the superfeet insole in them and go!

Default Meindl Boots???

A few years ago...okay ten years ago...I had a great pair of Merrell's. The soles had departed and gone to wherever good soles go. I contacted REI and asked about having the soles resurrected, lordy a miracle, they would do it for only a $50.00 donation to the church of REI.

I mentioned this to Ron Flint while on the chair to the top of Eaglecrest down there in Capital City. Ron's a skier and the owner of the Nugget Outdoor Store also of Juneau. He suggested I call Hoffman's Boots cause they're the ones that caulk the XtraTuffs for the loggers, surveyors and all that be tired of the Teabury shuffle an amble thru the jungle of So'East AK would be...so I did.

The fine folks at Hoffman's resurrected my Merrell old soles with many nice bright shinny spiky caulks that made my trek thru the forest fun again. Way more better than any Vibram could ever hope to be in the forest.

All for only $90.00, cheaper than Algore carbon credits. That was 10 years ago.

The Merrell's eventually disintegrated but the soles were industrial!

What's this got to do with Meindl's? Nothing except this link...

http://www.hoffmanboots.comProductIn...roductid=MEINC

These guys might have the Meindl's you be searching for.

If you have a good pair old boots whose sole has gone to the devil, Hoffman's can caulk'em for you.

FYI...when the caulks are new...before you get them wet...take them all out, yes unscrew all 37 or so caulks per boot. Dab a spot, sparingly, of Never-Seize on the threads and screw them all back in snugly. Taking care not to over tighten. The dis-similar metals of the steel caulk and the brass receiver in the rubber sole will corrode and it will be impossible to remove the worn out caulk...you might be wondering how I know this.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Alaskan Hunter's is all I wear for hunting season. Great boot that I highly recommend.

Another Alaskan Hunter fan here. They fit different than Lowas and I prefer the Meindl fit. I got lucky. I ordered mine from Cabelas and I got a good fitting pair the first try.

love my alaska hunters, just did some goat hunts with another guide who has koflach, we did alot of sidehilling and i actually wore my crampons less than he did and never had any problems sidehilling, pretty stiff boot, soles are really stiff and hold up well on rocks and sidehilling, instep crampons are a great addition to any mountain boot. ANY boot. If they fit your foot right, you'll more than likely be happy with them. get them wear them, and try some more of the local boots that are mentioned and see if the extra money is worth it or the fit is better/worse.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Meindle Mountain Hunters

Another vote for Mendles. I wore Danners for years but the Meindle is just a better mountain boot. One thing to consider is how tall of a boot you want. I like the 8" but some like taller boots.

Default I like plastic or fabric boots in the hills...

I'm really liking my Kayland Super Rocks. Although not skiboot shell/liner technology, they are stiff and hard enough to handle most sheep country and conditions (self arrest country with the occasional brief foray into " a little sketchy" and "What am I doing Here?!!")
    The Kayland is light too, for a burly boot that will lock down the heel to a moderately stiff (~70-80 DIN) sole. Mine have been up the SE Ridge of Ascension and the Resurrection Peaks Cirque and a few miles of hiking and mountain black bear hunts. They still look almost new, just more comfy.

If you have the right shoe size, you could score...

http://gearx.com/kayland-super-rock-boots.html

Size for a thin sock. The boots will pack out to a hiking or trekking sock eventually, but the fit is narrow enough to lock down the foot and ankle - nice for coming down an iceaxe route with a big honkin load on your back.

I wear Koflach Verts/BD Sabretooths if it's technical enough to strap on the kittykats, but I'm not into the mountaineering sufferfest like I used to be...

Giver!

Ish

Killin' it!

Default Gotta hand it to the Germans

They really know how to make boots. I owned Danners for years until I tried a pair of Meindls (spelling?). In my humble opinion, there is no comparison. They are hands down the best boots I have ever worn.

Default meindl

I know one thing, you will never twist an ankle in these boots. It took me about a year and a half to break 'em in. They are very good boots for me, however, some peoples feet are different and the boots may not "fit/wear" like they should and you won't like them. hence the negative comments. I bought mine in the lower 48 in the store so I could try them on... This is highly recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast