Thread: Kodiak reports?

Default Kodiak reports?

Anyone been to kodiak this year for deer? Looking for some reports.

Where at in Kodiak? The north end of the island was hit for a second year in row with heavy snow thus causing another year of high mortality. I have seen more goats than deer this year! We have lost most of our hunting area on the road system to the natives, so if you were planning a road system hunt, stay home. :-(

I took this one off the roadsystem on Sunday. You need to get off the road and quad trails to find them. Packing them out 4 miles isn't much fun though. I seen a couple bigger bucks this fall, but seeing them and getting to them is a different story.

The dog was happy to be done with his packing chores for the year and able to go duck hunting yesterday.

TB, that buck you dropped ain't up north of town there is it? pics look familiar but a million hills on kodiak all look the same anyway. nice deer. hows the snow level down there now?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My son and I saw over 20 does, but only three or four had fawns with them. We saw only two bucks and my son killed one of them. We only had two good days of hunting weather and we saw all those deer on those days. This was on the N.W. side of the island.

i used to guide on the N/NW side of the island and the guide i worked for said deer up in that region are hurtin' real bad. he didn't even see a buck last fall. don't suprise me you came up short on that trip as well. seems the south side has been the most productive the last two years.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Not so good

I was down there last week with a buddy helping him fill his goat tag (south road system). In the course of a week of beautiful weather we saw maybe 25 total and only one buck. Of course the buck popped up about five seconds after my partner shot his goat so I let him walk because we had enough on our plate right then. The deer were almost all up in the high alpine country and the buck was a long ways from the road. We talked to the biologist in Kodiak and he said the last thee winters have really taken a toll on the deer population. We did talk to a couple guys that had been elk hunting on Afognak and they said they saw pretty good numbers of deer over there, but they were focused on wapiti.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    TB, that buck you dropped ain't up north of town there is it? pics look familiar but a million hills on kodiak all look the same anyway. nice deer. hows the snow level down there now?
    Nope straight east!!!
    Its sort of in the vicinity I sent you last fall for that goat. You may have seen it in passing, but I think you were on the other side of the ridge.
    It was spitting snow on my way out, but the only thing on Monday was a little termination dust. It snowed again Monday afternoon, but then warmed up later in the week. Still some snow up high from last winter, but a lot of it melted in September. Most of the lakes were froze up Wednesday when I went duck hunting. The lake I was on got pretty busy around 9am with mallards and widgeon, too bad I had to pull out at 10 to go to work. Managed 3 though, which isn't bad for me on opening day...

Default Southside of Island

Had a friend tell me the southside of the island wasnt hit too bad and you can get deer there. Any truth to that? AND can you access that side along the road, or do you need a boat? Might try to head down there in November for deer, will take a shotgun if the sea duck hunting is any good.

TbinKodiak, Pm'ed you about duck hunting down there.

Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Southside is air access only.

Default Popular!

I dumped a goat right off that point behind you 3 years ago & saw deer, but never a buck like that one. VERY NICE! Congrads.

Default South End + thanks

Just got back yesterday from hunting the south end. Shot three deer, buddy shot three deer. Three of them had nuts, three of them didn't. The ones without were extremely fat and still in velvet. Quite a few bears still around the open tundra from a whale that washed up quite a while back. Gut piles and carcasses were gone the day after. Soaked the velvet antlers in the pond overnight and it just peeled away the next day. Awesome hunt as it is every year.
    Also, a huge thank you to the guy who helped me haul my gear and meat totes to my truck at the Anchorage airport, and congrats on your elk hunt. I didn't get your name, but if you visit this forum, I want you to know your help was greatly appreciated!
    Weather around the island is still a few days of nasty followed by a day or two of just fantastic. Typical for October Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I dumped a goat right off that point behind you 3 years ago & saw deer, but never a buck like that one. VERY NICE! Congrads.
    Unfortunately I used to see 20+ bucks in that valley 3 years ago. This year I had a name for all 5 of them...