Thread: Moose on Montague

Default Moose on Montague

Looking at hunting montague island next year. Me and one hunting buddy would be happy with taking black tails but the third partner wants to chase moose. Just curious how your moose hunts have been on montie. Any info would be appriciated.

I do not believe that there are any moose on Montegue Island. There are a few isolated pockets that hold moose on the main land, but that is about it.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

As spoiled one notes, there are no moose on Montague Island. As such...I'd say the hunting has been pretty poor. On the bright side, you wouldn't have much competition from other moose hunters.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my guess it would be VERY SLOW...

any moose there would have swam over from cordova area... i know the deer swim between islands all the time. there never used to be much a moose population in the PWS area... Cordova had them introduced in the (40's?) maybe as late as the 60's.......they started out in a home zoo and were later released.. and have done well. Valdez only started seeing moose south of the pass in the last 12 years.. these have wandered the river basin up from the copper.. and have only been sighted on the Valdez side of the keystone since 2000.. the first documented cow with a new calf for Valdez was at Robe lake 2002.... the mountains and snow fall in the sound have been there largest deterrent

I don't recall ever seeing a moose on Montague or hitchenbrook island though i am told a few have managed to get there. but i stand to be corrected on it. as i have not been there in 8 years now.

would be interesting to know how it stands now...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Montague moose

Last year I found the moose hunting to be every bit a good as the deer hunting on Montague. We got skunked on both on our one try...... I expected that on moose, but was surprised on the deer.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

I shot 6 moose on montague last summer!

I would be surprised to be skunked on deer too although I managed to do it once during a buck only season. I only saw one buck in six days. One of the other guys in our party got a buck a day for the first three days. You just never know.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

how is the deer hunting down there this year? I was down by hitchinbrook last fall and was pretty slow, due to winter kill??
    thanks