Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm moving to alaska.

Default I'm moving to alaska.

I'm moving to alaska possibly as soon as next summer. I really want to go primative. Build my own cabin live off firewood. Hunt my own food and such. But I have no idea where to start??? What to do for income?

I've been doing plenty of research but I need help!

Default Moving to Alaska

Andrew,

That's a very noble and ambitious goal you have and I wish you the best of luck. As I say to other folks; a bag of rice and a dream is all you really need. Just a little effort and in no time you will be living like a king off the fat o' the land. Any good man with a strong back , a sharp ax and a straight shooting rifle can make a go of it. I'll hook you up with some sourdough starter when you make it to the border.

I'm quite set on going. I think I'm going to try to get some DNR or staking land in the middel of state property. Four wheel or boat in and build a cabin. Shouldn't cost to much for the land if its staking land. What do you think? I sure love the outdoors.
    Squatting would be a last resort.

And what kind of Gear list would you guys reccomend?

Default a shovel and a bag of quick lime....

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    so that whoever finds you can clean up whats left.

Seriously....you can do all the research in the world and still not have a clue what its really like to do what you're talking about. I've spent a little time in a dry cabin with no electricity and wood heat. Its not quite the romantic thing that people make it out to be.
    My advice would be to come up and try it close to town first. You can still rent dry cabins practically in Fairbanks. If you've never lived that way, try it before you do something you're completely unprepared to do.
    Also....everybody wants that piece of DNR land right in the middle of state property that they can access with their 4 wheeler or boat. If they were that easy to come by, we'd all be living that way.

Gear? You don't need any gear. All you need is a sharp knife and some flint. Do it up right, find an old broke down bus to live in and just live off the land the way god intended us to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Andrew,

That's a very noble and ambitious goal you have and I wish you the best of luck. As I say to other folks; a bag of rice and a dream is all you really need. Just a little effort and in no time you will be living like a king off the fat o' the land. Any good man with a strong back , a sharp ax and a straight shooting rifle can make a go of it. I'll hook you up with some sourdough starter when you make it to the border.
    Read somewhere that one bag of rice may not be enough......better make it two.

heck if your man enough use your chest hairs to make snares to capture your food.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

I'm moving to alaska possibly as soon as next summer. I really want to go primative. Build my own cabin live off firewood. Hunt my own food and such. But I have no idea where to start??? What to do for income?

I've been doing plenty of research but I need help!
    Do lots of homework first.........then follow your dream and don't let anyone crap on your dream.
    Good luck to ya
    Peace Out!
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Thanks I know it's not gonna be easy. But I'm set on doing it.

Thanks I know it's not gonna be easy. But I'm set on doing it.
    Its been done before. When you live off the land pretty soon the land don't taste so good! It costs a lot of money to live off the land.
    Tim

I guess I just don't see why it should. After you buy the land your set.

Mr. Cochran,
    Just wanted to add in my 2 cents, timing is everything if your set on moving up to Alaska, IMO (just my opinion) best time is in the spring/summer when the wild food resources are available. Gives you time to harvest what you will need to survive especially if you are planning on living in a remote area, warmer too. Also gives you time to stockpile loads of firewood. When fall comes you may be able to hunt some moose, caribou or bear for winter meat. Another good skill to have especially in remote areas is the ability and willingness to trap and/or snare animals/furbearers. You may be able to generate a little income that way, and use some of the animals you catch for food. Beaver, rabbit and porcupine are all good eating. Fishing is another good skill, fish can be caught year round even through the ice. Out in my area Natives also use fishtraps, the type you set in small drainages to catch small fish. These little fish can keep you fed too. Also if you are planning on living in an remote area learn about fish and meat drying and smoking methods. Dried meat and fish can last for a long time. May be a good idea to find a good dog too when you get to Alaska, the dog can warn you if there are any bears in the area. Also can help you pack some gear and stuff with a good dog pack. Another option is to find an old sourdough that is willing to learn ya on wilderness living, I am sure there are many around the state that need a strong back to carry their fall moose out of the woods. As my grandfather used to say "you boys always pack too much stuff, when I was your age I would bring a bag of rice and some dried fish whenever I go out into the wilderness". Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yes I think the first year I get up there I will find somebody to train me. And be that time I'll be a resident.

SNIP
    Squatting would be a last resort.
    Did nobody else catch this comment? Well, I'd pull out a good life insurance policy to help your family or friends. Stick to buying your land and not squatting!

Honestly if you can put away (or allready have) $40K to do it on you should be ok. Get a 30-06 and a .22. There is some decent land available OTC from the state. If you really want to live primitive then start now. Arkansas is good place to do it. Stop buying stuff and save every penny. When you get to 40K then make your move. If you can't save money to buy your AK property while living in Arkansas you will never get it done here.

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaguy View Post
    Did nobody else catch this comment? Well, I'd pull out a good life insurance policy to help your family or friends. Stick to buying your land and not squatting!

I'm just kidding there. I don't think I would ever do that. It'll be me alone out there aloso. BUT NO! I won't be squatting!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Honestly if you can put away (or allready have) $40K to do it on you should be ok. Get a 30-06 and a .22. There is some decent land available OTC from the state. If you really want to live primitive then start now. Arkansas is good place to do it. Stop buying stuff and save every penny. When you get to 40K then make your move. If you can't save money to buy your AK property while living in Arkansas you will never get it done here.

What about staking property. I never hear much about it? Sounds good to me as I would not ever develop it. I don't know what kind of rules they put on you but is it hard to get?

I guess I just don't see why it should. After you buy the land your set.
    I admire your goal and idealism, but to suggest that you're set after acquiring land shows that you don't really understand Alaska. I don't mean this as an insult - truthfully, even most Alaskans in the urban areas don't understand the area beyond their front door. Be careful. First of all, gathering food will be far more difficult than you ever imagined. Success rates for moose hunting hover around 30%. Alaska is not like Arkansas regarding numbers of game. The land is simply less productive, and moose have higher caloric needs, thus there are far fewer animals in a given area. Finding a legal animal can be very difficult at times. If you don't harvest a moose or at least a few caribou and bears in the fall, how "set" will you really be? Don't underestimate this. If you do get an animal on the ground, do you know how to properly care for it so that you don't lose the meat? In a cabin off the grid, you won't have refrigeration. Do you know how to properly jerk the meat or otherwise dry or can it? Dealing with 600+ pounds of meat before it spoils can be tough, particularly if alone. As for firewood, it's not as plentiful in some areas as you may think, and even if you can get it legally, you'll have to consider how to transport it to your cabin.

The previous advice to start with a dry cabin near Fairbanks is wise advice. Don't take offense, but you can't possibly understand the difficulties you'll face until you get here. Start small and build upon your successes while learning from your struggles.

Are you a handyman? You will have to repair all your own stuff if it breaks. Please consider that there is no 911 out in the bush. Should you hurt yourself ( break a leg or arm) you are on your own. Just living out there without hurting yourself takes some thought. Can you shoot well? Do you hunt? Garden? Are you in shape? Hard life out there demands a hard man. If you can answer these questions honestly yes, than take a year to realy prepare and you might make it. Good luck.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast