Thread: TOK to Dawson?

Default TOK to Dawson?

Anyone know where I am supposed to sign up for this ride? Is it guided? Anyone who has done this ride please chime in! A few of us experienced riders were thinking of doing it this year. I know it can be cold, we are prepared for that, but what else?

Default Trek

Sign up at the Alaska Trailblazers website. This is a great trip!! We look forward to it every year. Dawsonites are very hospitable and they make it a lot of fun. This will be my 9th or 10th yr. The wife goes too. She's done it 6 yrs now. It is not guided, but you are traveling with 150 other people and the trail (Taylor Hwy) is groomed the entire way. It's a pretty easy trip if the temps aren't too bad. 2 yrs ago we had -40 the entire way over and -20 coming home. What a pisser. PM with more questions.

Talking Questions

Tell us more info on this ride. Miles, dates, fuel, lodging, and any thing else that would be of help on planning this trip. I live down at Anchor Point and am looking to do some exploring new territory this winter and this trip sound interesting. Dan

It's about 200 miles each way. The price includes fuel half way in chicken. Once you get there you'll have to buy playing gas and make sure you are full when you leave. Once there, keep asking for the "toe drink".....It's fun great time with lots of activities to keep you occupied if you don't drink too much.

Default thanks!!

this sounds like a blast!! I got 2 of us that will probably try to do this, maybe three. 2 of us will be on summits, does the trail have enough snow for these big tracked powder sleds? I have never had a problem, but I have never gone 200 miles on just the trail!
    keep the info coming!

Cool lowdown

Mountain sleds are fine...depending on the snow year. I recommend installing ice-scraters for the diggers (deep lug tracks). I ride my mountain max every year and a couple yrs ago wife rode the 151" RX-1. We didn't use scratchers, but dipped off the "trail" every once in a while if it was skinny. The wind often blows several areas clean and you are riding on pavement for a stretch. Expect to replace carbides when you get back.

You should sign up in pairs. Accomodations over in Dawson require that there are at least 2 to a room. There are several options if you want more in a room...B&B's, hotel suites, etc...

It's even a better time if you don't remember much (that last shot won't hurt you).

Like the aussie said, approx 200 miles each way. It can take 4 hours or 14 hours depending on your ambition and temps.

Dates for '09 are as follows:

trip #1: 2/26-3/1
    trip #2: 3/5- 3/8
    trip #3: 3/12- 3/15

Here is a link to the website: http://www.trekoverthetop.com

Once you pay the entry fee, almost everything is inclusive. Gas both ways in Chicken (fills up sled only), accomodations in Dawson, breakfast in Tok before you leave, 2 lunches and 2 fantastic dinners in Dawson, Gerties show (2 nights), and dinner in Tok once you return.

You are responsible for gas in Dawson, your level of intoxication, and misc stuff that you acquire along the way. Pack relatively light. You don't need much over there. I usually pack a medium duffel (waterproof is good) and strap it to my tunnel ext, cause I don't have saddlebags.

One thing to mention...if you have a DUI or are a felon, good luck....the Canucks are fish-poo's (figure that one out) when it comes to granting entry to you folks.

Take a long look at the website, it will give you good info.

By the way, tell 'em Dick sent you...they will probably deny you entry.