Thread: Alaskan Moose Hunters Special - a proposal.

Default Alaskan Moose Hunters Special - a proposal.

I've been thinking about this for a while. We discuss freighter canoes on here frequently. Grumman 19'ers, Osage 17'ers, Scott Canadian style freighters, and others. None of them is really right for the job. What would be the right canoe, were we to get it built?

The area I haunt in my Grumman 19'er is a small river with many log obstacles. Sometimes we have to clear enough room for the canoe to slide thru, or slide the canoe over logs and jams. My run from the launch site is 53 miles. I want to be able to bring my moose out in one trip.

Aluminum square stern canoe .... "Alaskan Moose Hunters Special"
    20' length
    46" width
    flat bottomed with 3 keels
    24" transom
    15" to 16" depth for increased freeboard with a big load.
    .050 marine aluminum
    1500+# capacity
    140# empty
    rated for 15 horse power.

I like the Scott canoes, but they are quite heavy and may not like logs and rock gardens .... they seems to grow rather wide for narrow places. And they are pricey, unless you find a Craig' List bargain like one of our members did.

What go you think? If we can design an "Alaskan Moose Hunter Freight Canoe," what should it be?

Default Size

Have sent you a pm
    sid

Default Look

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a while. We discuss freighter canoes on here frequently. Grumman 19'ers, Osage 17'ers, Scott Canadian style freighters, and others. None of them is really right for the job. What would be the right canoe, were we to get it built?

The area I haunt in my Grumman 19'er is a small river with many log obstacles. Sometimes we have to clear enough room for the canoe to slide thru, or slide the canoe over logs and jams. My run from the launch site is 53 miles. I want to be able to bring my moose out in one trip.

Aluminum square stern canoe .... "Alaskan Moose Hunters Special"
    20' length
    46" width
    flat bottomed with 3 keels
    24" transom
    15" to 16" depth for increased freeboard with a big load.
    .050 marine aluminum
    1500+# capacity
    140# empty
    rated for 15 horse power.

I like the Scott canoes, but they are quite heavy and may not like logs and rock gardens .... they seems to grow rather wide for narrow places. And they are pricey, unless you find a Craig' List bargain like one of our members did.

What go you think? If we can design an "Alaskan Moose Hunter Freight Canoe," what should it be?
    Sounds like your trying to describe this canoe !!
    check this out www.johnsboatstuff.com ; the "Cinnamon 20" Canoe, it callad a cruising canoe on this website.

It's a wood boat though it has plans and could be made in aluminum. So I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel just make it out of a new rubber compound.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I finally sold my 19' Grumman a couple years ago for 2 main reasons. First, I usually hunt solo, and it was a PITA to portage by myself. Second, even with a lift, I found that I quite often couldn't get where I wanted to go.
    This year I went back to an old Coleman Scanoe with an electric trolling motor. This set-up obviously isn't suitable for going upriver against a strong current, but works well in small streams, sloughs, beaver ponds, etc. Its quiet, light weight, and easy for one guy to handle. On the down side, it can't carry as much as my old freighter, but I think its not a bad trade-off for what I use it for.

Default Moose Hunters Special

In their current renditions, I think that the Osage 17' canoe comes closest to the mark, but it is too small .... not generous enough in dimensions or load capacity. An improved 20' version of the boat could be the One.

The Osage is already basically flat bottomed, with multiple keels, and a wider transom (18") than the Grumman 19' (12"). My intent is too have a large, light canoe that is more stable and hauls a larger load than my 19', while having enough planing surface to operate more efficiently under power. A 22" to 24" transom should make quite a difference The depth of the boat needs to increase 2" or more to maintain good freeboard with a load. And a beam of 46" or 48" should increase stability and capacity.

I believe that with the high prices of fuel, there is a new surge of interest in these freight canoes coming, and a market to fill. Perhaps one of the manufacturers can be enticed into making a run of a Moose Hunters Special.

On the other hand, I've thought about building a stripper freighter .... if I can come up with the proper plans, and can't manipulate someone into producing an aluminum one.

There was an old book for building strippers.....David Hazen's [The Stripper's Guide to Canoe Building.......it has templates for buiding teh strong-back for a 20' canoe.....leave one end square and ad a foot or two in the mid section.

Mad River at one time made a large canow also......

Default Canoe for hunting

I went down to sportsmans warehouse yesterday specifically to look at the new square back predator canoe manfactured by old town. This canoe appears to be a beast for the small streams. Its a square stern 15'3" and 40" at the widest point an has a 1700 lb load capacity not sure about a hp rating but it should handle a solo hunter and all of his gear with no problems..

I certainly can't speak from experience like others, but I did learn quite a bit on my first moose hunt via canoe this fall. I took my 18'4" Mad River Lamoille in on a series of lakes with my wife. After loading up about 110 lbs of gear, food, clothes, etc for 6 days, I was pretty sure we were not bringing all that out + a quartered moose in one load. I know the payload capacity was there, but the needed room was not. One person and gear for that many days, it may have been doable (although a ton of work for that poor fella if more than one portage was involved).

I'm not familiar with the Osage, nor have I been in a 19-20' Grumman. But I'm guessing a canoe of that length in aluminum isn't something one guy wants to portage multiple times. Obviously not an issue with running up and down rivers or across one or two lakes. The Lamoille isn't one I'd want on a river (perhaps no problem for an experience canoer), but it does handle the open water very well.

Default what about the inflatables

The pro pioneer looks promising. Has anybody done any research on the inflatables?

I am from Maine and square sterns are poplar here, we do have a lot of the Scott's canoes around, I have a mold for a 21 foot x51 square stern, this is to build rib and plank, I have also built double ended stripper canoes.
    To build a canoe big enough to carry gear needed and bring a moose out it is to heavy to portage easily, I love my old town canoes I have a regular tripper (which i find easy to portage) and the tripper XL. The tripper XL is around 20 feet but it is a bit much to lift up and carry reasonably, but it can be done. I do move it around on roof racks on a truck, the plastic or ABS that it is made out off slides extremely well, over rocks beaver dams and such, much better than any aluminum or fiberglass canoe. I believe the rating is 2000 lbs, This Martial is the best in my opinion the seconds sell for around $1250 the last time I was in old town, so I believe they could build a squre stern version reasonably if they choose to. This canoe will take some heavy waves. I have transported moose I estiamed to weigh around 800lbs using a side mount 2 hp Honda motor, this was on the Mattawamkeg river, in a section that is a dead water mostly, I could have used a bigger motor in spots. The canoe could have taken a lot more weight easily.
    So If they offered a 20 ft squre stern built out of ABS, with the bow design staying the same I think it would be about the best moose hunting canoe that could be built. It could be built for a reasonable price, 1 man could portage it a ways, it could carry a big load such as gear and a moose. I would buy one for use here in maine.

P.S. if your looking for a book on building stripper canoes i would highly recommend Gil Gilpatrick book building strip wood canoes,You should be able to find his site on line, if not he is listed in the Maine guides assn. site. It has lots of good info, how to build a strong back/mold, how to design a canoe, how to take lines off an existing canoe, it has patterns for 6 or so double end canoes and 1 squre stern( but this pattern needs to adjusted a bit for river work in my opinion)-Steve