Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing?

Default Ice Fishing?

Hey all,
    Does anyone ice fish? I hope this is the right forum. I'm new to Alaska, and fishing in general really, and would like to try some ice fishing. I'm currently reading up on flyfishing for the spring, however with the weather change I'd like to try ice fishing. Mainly lake trout I guess.
    I have a 6 y/o that loves fishing and would like to get out too and I'd like to get out with the right stuff.
    I'm thinking a small shelter would be good with a small heater. Portability is a must.
    What would be a good shelter?
    What are the good lakes around Eagle river, Anchorage area?
    What do they bite on?
    Any help or getting me going in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Welcome to Alaska.

Do you mean lake trout or rainbow trout in a lake?

There are alot of rainbow lakes around, some better than others.

There are only a few that have lake trout. Long Lake (mile 86 Glenn highway), Lake Louise near Glennallen, Kenai Lake, Skilak Lake, Hidden Lake (last 3 on the Kenai).

Try pike. Fire Lake has a few right there in Eagle River. Nancy Lake on the Parks has some nice ones.

If you are buying a motorized auger. Get a 10" one if you are going for lakers or large pike.

Lures and baits vary.

Huts can be seen at Freddies and Sportsmans Warehouse. Try Craigslist also.

Mike

Default YES!

ice fishing is very doable up here! It's not quite as popular as the stream fishing in the summer, but I like it that way!! Drop me a line if your going out sometime, I have a few close to town lakes I would like to try. I have a good assortment of gear, but no shelter.
    I grew up in Maine, and back there it is a MAJOR winter time activity. There is some good fishing to be had up here in the winter! let me know if you need any help with anything, I live in chugiak, so I am just up the road from ER.

Default There are other forums...

... such as Iceshanty.com.

But we will be doing lots of discussion about ice fishing right here.

Real fishermen fish 12 months out of the year up here. Well, at least 11.5.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post

Maybe on the KP but in the interior where it gets down to absolute zero I know I take that time off.

Default Too cold for me!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Maybe on the KP but in the interior where it gets down to absolute zero I know I take that time off.
    −459.67 Fahrenheit is too cold for anyone.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Back when I was a younger buck - when it was too cold to flight train we used to go fishing.

Still can't figure out the logic with that one...but I'm sure the brain cells I froze contained that vital information.

In that regard, I still like to venture out on the ice.

Default Au contraire!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    If I lived up in your neck o' the woods with those BIG pike, and those HUGE lakers I would be out every chance I got Inuit style.

I invested in a fold out ice shelter tent a few years ago, and then got a pop-out tent last year. Either one of those coupled with a propane heater, an auger, and a fish finder makes ice fishing even in the coldest weather an enjoyable experience. Nothing like pulling a big fish up from the depths and seeing the head come up through a hole in the ice. Love it! I can hardly wait!

Oh there is lots of ice fishing to be done up here. PM me if you want a few places to jumpstart your season when the ice comes.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I agree with Sayak.

Default sounds good to me

sayak, when you head up to the interoir, when you pass chugiak, pick me up!! we'll catch some dandies!! Never got a pike over 24" thru the ice, but caught plenty of big lakers!! So generally when are the lakes safe?

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    sayak, when you head up to the interoir, when you pass chugiak, pick me up!! we'll catch some dandies!! Never got a pike over 24" thru the ice, but caught plenty of big lakers!! So generally when are the lakes safe?
    That is totally dependent on the weather and the particular lake you want to fish. Some freeze much later then one a mile away due to springs and such in some lakes. A good measure is a couple weeks after the first truck of the season breaks through Big Lake. That means "it's almost safe, but not quite..." Sounds like a "Get Smart" quote... Be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    So generally when are the lakes safe?
    NEVER. There are simply varying degrees of risk. Ice can and will fail anytime.

Last year here in the valley we didn't have good ice until almost december due to abnormally warm November. Ice is GENERALLY ok by mid november but you never know. I remember 3 years ago we had good ice 1st week of november. So every year is different. Be careful.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Good fishing coming up

Sounds like their should be some good fishing coming up when the water finally freezes. Since I've never icefished it'll give me time to get some things.
    We've never caught a pike but have only been out twice for a few hours trying. We will though. Patience.
    We like catching rainbow trout. The majority get thrown back but we usually keep a few to fry up at home.
    TBLOOMA, I have a buddy that comes from South Addison part of Maine. Nice place. Went up for his wedding and tent camped just off the coast. Had some awsome fresh lobster right off his uncles lobster boat.
    Since we're close and if it's ok with you, I may hit you up when it gets closer to make sure we're squared away and suggestions. Man, I can't wait.

Default test holes

Make sure when you go out, drill test holes along the way. If your like me and don't have a power auger, use a battery powered drill with a paddle bit. Drill holes in the ice every couple of feet unless you know for sure that the ice is thick enough to support bipeds...usually about 4 inches of good clear ice will support one person.
    I generraly wait till about 6 inches or more before i like to go out.

Have fun, bee safe!

FM

Wink

There is quite a bit of good fishing you can get into on the ice. If your interested in the pike, me and my friends usually make several trips to Flathorn and horseshoe lakes during the winter its a great trip. most years we just take our 4 wheelers as the wind keeps the snow depth to a minimum out in the open and you can run the gas line all the way in. Invest in some good tip ups, herring and some hooks. each person can use 5 tip ups on these lakes. Typically there is four or five of us that go. We meet Above burma landing about 5am usually takes about 45 minutes to get out there and start setting up. couple guys will drill the holes, 5 guys means 25 holes. couple will set up some shelters and build a fire. Then you just wait for the flags to start popping, never have come back with less than 10 fish in the 20 to 30" inch class. They eat good if you know how to get the bones out.
    Finger lake is a good lake to take the kids it is poluted with land lock salmon and they bite all day. Throw in an occasional 5 or 6 lb char and its a petty good winter fishery.
    I reccomend one of the eskimo pop up shelters that stakes to the ice. I have watched lesser shelters get ripped to pieces in the wind we have whipping across the lakes in the wintertime. Including those pricey flip up models than come with there own sled. I have watched as their owners have chased them completely across the lake. The wind comes up all at once around here so dont go cheap on the shelter. Eskimo makes a very stury 2 man shelter that you can pick up for about $140 at SPORTMANS Warehouse comes in its own bag and sets up in just a few minutes just stake it to the ice and attach the guy lines to stakes on th upwind side and start fishing. It has plenty of room and stays nice and toasty with a small heater, throw a couple of chairs in it and you are set.
    I am out on Finger lake several times a week once the ice hits 8 inches. Many fisherman venture out much sooner than that. It all depends on what you are comfortable with, I am usually still hunting before then anyway. I would be happy to take an extra shelter out one weekend for you and your boy to give a whirl. Just PM me and we can discuss the details if you are interested.

Default Finger Lake

I just checked out Finger Lake on the ADFG website...that is some serious stocking they have going on there: ~34,000 fish from about 7-9 inches in length; but then they also have put in over 100,00 fish from 1.9 to 3.8 inches...what's with these fry? Is the lake so nutrient rich that these will put on enough size to be caught the following year???

In any case, it looks like a good bet to hit with my 4-year old daughter this year. If anyone else is looking to take their kids out, say mid- to late-Nov or Dec., it would be fun to meet up. Those are dates I'm off the slope and by which, hopefully, the lake will be safe to ice fish. I suppose, too, it'd be nice to meet up with someone who owns an auger!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post

The other .5 is for hunting, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    −459.67 Fahrenheit is too cold for anyone.
    Real cute! That would come from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    NEVER. There are simply varying degrees of risk. Ice can and will fail anytime.
    Although this is true, you have to agree that the ice would be okay from at least November until March. You can't always assume that because there are weak parts in the ice that it's going to cave. To a degree, be cautious, but if we were all to be THAT cautious, we would never ice fish, would we?
    I don't know.
    I can't say that I have all types of experiences with being on the ice, but I can say that if my husband can drive on Chena Lakes with his 3/4 ton truck in the middle of November, I'd like to believe that Chuck D should be just fine in being able to ice fish.
    Chuck D, I'll be honest with you, my first time being on the ice was unnerving, but I have to agree with the other person that stated that it's so rewarding pulling that fish out of that hole and knowing that you succeeded in ice fishing.
    It's just as addicting as any other fishing. (grins)
    Lurker.

There are plenty of wall hangers in the lake. Plenty of fishermen also. What the web site doesnt tell you is that fish and game cuts a hole in the ice every year and dumps in a bunch of brood stock char in 4 and 5lb class. The lake usually freezes up pretty quick also. The ice stays clear and freezes hard. The lake is fairly shallow and will freeze fast but there are a few spots in the lake that are spring fed and have thin ice early in the winter. Solid fishing can be found at the west end of both islands for trout char and land locks. Raw shrimp and nite crawlers work best. I have taken several big char with 1 inch gitzit jigs worked off of the bottom. Just like in the spring the fish are most active in the morning and a few hours before dark, they will continue to bite well until about an hour after dark. The key at this lake is that you need a shelter that will withstand the wind its hard to concentrate on the fish if you are fighting the wind and there a few days where the wind is not blowing on the lake. Once you locate fish take care to make sure you stake your shelter to the ice. If you prefer a flipup shelter alwayset it up with the wind at you back. This will save you if a 40mph gust shoot down the lake. If you own one of the pack shacks save your self some miserey and leave it at the house. the CANNOT handle the wind.
    Good Fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast