Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears

Default Bears

I was hoping to get a little information on the bear activity around Snug Harbor road around Cooper Landing. A buddy's kid is really excited to go after a bear and I am hoping that we might be able to find one down around that area this weekend. Don't know how much snow is on the ground or if there is much bear activity down there. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PM inbound.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default they are there

I shot a three legged bear in that area last Thursday. Not sure how much snow this recent weather has dumped up there, I wouldn't wait to much longer to go. The bears are usually pretty easy to spot the hard part is getting up the hill, and then hoping the bears haven't moved. Good luck!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. I think we are a go for this weekend. Probably gonna throw the .22's in for grouse just in case. Thanks again and even a slow day of hunting is good for the soul.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhunter View Post
    I shot a three legged bear in that area last Thursday. Not sure how much snow this recent weather has dumped up there, I wouldn't wait to much longer to go. The bears are usually pretty easy to spot the hard part is getting up the hill, and then hoping the bears haven't moved. Good luck!
    how does a three legged bear square?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mountain Hunter, Was your 3 legged bear missing his front right paw? I saw a 3 legged bear in August in that area near Dave's Creek. He was a fairly small bear. Just curious if it was the same one. Anyways, Congratulations Kyle

Was the meat any good, did you keep any? Did you know it was a three legged bear before you shot? Just curious. Might also be headed if weather is nice. Anyone been to the Cooper lake, is it frozen over?

Gonna be crowded I'm thinking
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default three legged bear

Just to clarify he was already missing his front righ leg before I shot him. It was about a 420 yard shot, and my buddy and I thought he was wounded cause he was limping. He took one 165gr barnes TSX and went down like a ton of bricks. Yes we salvaged most of the meat, and he tastes great. I haven't eaten a lot of bear in the past, so I dont know how it compares but I love it. He is not a big bear by any stretch of the imagination. It was interesting when I took him in to get sealed the Bio said he was likely a 5 year old bear! The bear I shot last fall had a smaller head, but a bigger body, and he was only 3 years old.

Default Just got back

The Snug Harbor road is taking a beating. Getting washed out really bad in one spot, growing by the minute and we left just in time I believe. Cuts across the road at an angle is about 3' deep or better and was getting close to 16" wide or better across 3/4 or more of the road. Some shoulder left but soft and water was flowing on that side too, follow tire tracks. This spot is right before the rainbow lake trail head. One subaru made it back there. We went in at 9:30am and came out at 12:30pmish. The gash had grown in length and girth since we first passed it. Other spots are getting washed out areas but only like 6" deep. Didn't get any pics, wanted to be we ate and then just left. Pretty cool kinda though.

The bears are still out! The bears are still alive! We arrived at the hot spot. Spotted two bears down low. Got ready and went after them and it started to sprinkle. They hit the brush before we made it to them. Got there and no sign of them and that brush is a good 8' tall. Open spots but the bears moved in and couldn't see 'em no more. Waited but rained harder and packed it up. Hung out a bit more glassing, but the darn rain would quit and then pick up, quit and pick up. Plus the road washing out was starting to bug me and we left just in time. Still more time but we got out and washed it erode right before our eyes. Cutting way under and was getting scary walking around it. We seen no tracks in the snow up high. We should have two nice boars but oh well, would have been to easy! Hour earlier them bad boys would be in the truck right now.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    The Snug Harbor road is taking a beating. Getting washed out really bad in one spot, growing by the minute and we left just in time I believe. Cuts across the road at an angle is about 3' deep or better and was getting close to 16" wide or better across 3/4 or more of the road. Some shoulder left but soft and water was flowing on that side too, follow tire tracks. This spot is right before the rainbow lake trail head. One subaru made it back there. We went in at 9:30am and came out at 12:30pmish. The gash had grown in length and girth since we first passed it. Other spots are getting washed out areas but only like 6" deep. Didn't get any pics, wanted to be we ate and then just left. Pretty cool kinda though.

The bears are still out! The bears are still alive! We arrived at the hot spot. Spotted two bears down low. Got ready and went after them and it started to sprinkle. They hit the brush before we made it to them. Got there and no sign of them and that brush is a good 8' tall. Open spots but the bears moved in and couldn't see 'em no more. Waited but rained harder and packed it up. Hung out a bit more glassing, but the darn rain would quit and then pick up, quit and pick up. Plus the road washing out was starting to bug me and we left just in time. Still more time but we got out and washed it erode right before our eyes. Cutting way under and was getting scary walking around it. We seen no tracks in the snow up high. We should have two nice boars but oh well, would have been to easy! Hour earlier them bad boys would be in the truck right now.
    guys PUT A VARMINT CALL IN YOUR POCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can not stress that enough...

see the photo of the young lad in my block.. that guy was called into 17 yards before the boy shot him.. we have GREAT success with it. you see bears and they go to the brush.. sneak in close as you can and start wailing your heart out.. and DON'T STOP
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I knew better

I gave it back to made a while back. Never asked him for it and never have bought one yet. Might have helped, but not sure with all the rain. But we had to go man. The road by now might be un passable. Would have to call for help and swap gear to another vehicle or have some heavy duty ramps brought in. I think not have a pred. call might have saved us some hassle. Man I knew I should have took some pics. Not sure if I should report it or not. The fish program at cooper lake was recently messed with. Somebody must know what is going on with that road. That shale was going fast though.

Default Ditto on the road

Went in there to nose around and maybe bumped into you. Passed a truck that told me about the washout. Pretty impressive to say the least. As I was coming back out I passed a couple State trucks heading back up in there so I am fairly certain that someone knows about it. I didn't want to take the chance of getting stuck on the wrong side of a washout so headed back out of there. Going in further down the road towards Soldotna tomorrow a.m. will let you know how I do.

Smile Bears

The bears are definately still active in the Kenai mountains as of Saturday!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    how does a three legged bear square?
    I believe you'd have to triangulate that bear

Thumbs up Don't wait......

My wife and I drove by a small black bear in the ditch a few miles before Cooper Landing yesterday (Sat.) Nice coat on him. We were on our way to Anch. 2 friends were down Snug Harbor Road last week end and chased a bear way up on the mountain, he got away. No snow down low, lots of rain. These Kenai black bears are heading to the den so I would not wait to hunt them. I am sure there are still lots of Brown Bears wondering around looking for that last big meal!

Default what kind of predator call?

vince- I have thought for a while about trying a predator call. I have done some calling for coyote using a rabbit in distress call. Is this what you use? If not what would you suggest?

Yes,rabbit call will work fine,bears need a steady call.Dont pause for too long,they'll loose intrest.

vince- I have thought for a while about trying a predator call. I have done some calling for coyote using a rabbit in distress call. Is this what you use? If not what would you suggest?
    I use a variety of hare and rabbit calles... one will work better then others on each different bear... i usually have 3 or 4 in my pocket. tone, pitch, all that comes in to play.. as well as temp.. the colder it is the farther the call will travel so you don't need as loud a call when you spot bears. we have called them in 1-2 miles across a valley this time of year constant stead calling with about 30 sec being the longest break when you know they are in the area ..

try to imitate a baby crying while you do.. i also will do a calf in distress call for moose.. which is similar to a cow call but MUCH higher pitched...

http://www.clipstr.com/videos/BearAttacksAMooseCalf/ this has been posted on here before.. but the video is great to hear a calf getting eaten.. and bears are like horny bull moose... as long as it is close they will come...

meet on face book here

Default bears???

Are the bears in the dens around Fairbanks yet???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast