Thread: Opening Day

Default Opening Day

Well tomorrow is opening day here in Dutch Harbor and the forecast is for 50 knot winds with gusts up to 70 knots out of the southeast. This puts a huge crimp in my opening day plans - no boat ride across the bay in that weather! I will have to fall back on one of the alternate areas accessible by vehicle and foot if the forecast is accurate (out here it is accurate as often as it is not). Sure hope that it misses us and I can hit the river drainage across the bay for some jump shooting, otherwise it will be sea duck shooting.

Hope to post some photos tomorrow

Look forward to your reports and picts. Have a safe and good hunt.

Default Hunting report

Well opening day started out with me running into a rock which damaged the prop on my boat, then we had to drag the boat (a 22 ft Hewes craft) up a stream about 100 yards because if unusually low water, I lost a fishing pole somewhere along the way and we trudged about 4.5 miles in the rain and winds up to 40 MPH along the willow infested river bottom for 6 ducks. It was a great day! Saw lots of ducks and had many opputunities for shots that we blew. No pics as they turned out too blurry with the fog on the lens (sorry). The day yielded 1 mallard, 1 teal and 4 harlequin (should have had quite a few more teal and mallards though). Cant wait to go on Friday....

Quote Originally Posted by akdoshin View Post
    Well opening day started out with me running into a rock which damaged the prop on my boat, then we had to drag the boat (a 22 ft Hewes craft) up a stream about 100 yards because if unusually low water, I lost a fishing pole somewhere along the way and we trudged about 4.5 miles in the rain and winds up to 40 MPH along the willow infested river bottom for 6 ducks. It was a great day! Saw lots of ducks and had many opputunities for shots that we blew. No pics as they turned out too blurry with the fog on the lens (sorry). The day yielded 1 mallard, 1 teal and 4 harlequin (should have had quite a few more teal and mallards though). Cant wait to go on Friday....
    Don't you just love, duck hunting. When the things go bad we just keep on hunting. Hope it gets better for you.

Default Second try at pic

DSCN5989.jpg

I took our lab pup out hunting this morning in hopes that we would jump a few teal. I was quite surprized to jump some brant and get a coupl so close to town. Was a good morning (also got two teal a little later) but tomorrow it is back to work.

Good looking pup! Any rust issues yet with the 870 Express? I used to watch mine rust before my eyes while hunting the salt marshes in Texas. Upgraded to the Wingmaster and had the same issues. I gave up finally and just figured it's a duck gun. Nothing seemed to stop the rust.

Default Rust

Thanks. No rust issues yet on the express (at least not bad ones). I have been using the gun since I bought it in 1991 and seem to have been able to avoid having it get too rusty by hosing it down frequently with rem oil spray. However, that is why I bought this one and use it instead of the one my father gave me - because of all the salt water it gets exposed to.