Thread: 6x6 Polaris EBS? Braking

Default 6x6 Polaris EBS? Braking

Anybody have this on there machine? What do you think? Was told by dealer It was not recomended, or on the Ranger. Trouble I,m having is when trying to shift it grind the gears to high, not so bad going to low or reverse, turned the Idle down to nothing, no help there, it seems that the belt is to tight pre loads the secondary. At the dealer now, tried all the different belts, everything take apart nothing wrong, The belt also all ready down in the secondary about a 1/4 in. seems low, makes it feel like starting out in high range. Machine has only 63 miles on it! I bought last week used. Don,t know what to think! they suggest put stock clutch back on, Anybody have one they have laying around?

I'm not up to speed on the 6by's but with most atv's this can be solved by simply adjusting the length of the rod connected to the shifter and transmission. GL!

Thanks W.G. Thought of that, However it doesn,t seem to be that type of problem, If shut machine off it will shift no problem, Its like the gears are spinning when the machine is running,The belt seems to be too tight to let off the secoundary from spinning while you try to shift.

Is belt tension adjuatable by removing/adding shims? Do you have a clutch kit installed on the atv?

I've got the EBS on my 6x6 and now have around 1500 miles with no problems. I've only changed the belt once (around 1000 miles) and it wasn't even all that bad, I'm still carrying it as a spare. Your shifting problem sounds like you have the wrong belt on the machine. The EBS belt is different than the non-EBS so you may double check the part numbers and make sure they gave you the right one.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AK mud, Do you know your belt no# Stock with old clutch was 077- the Ebs book say,s 091,or 069, or 113 tryed all them they are all to tight? I was thinking on this last night wonder if the motor mounted to far foward? How is your,s mounted in there is there center to center ajustment? I can,t see mine because it is at the shop, They say find stock stuff put it back on? I know ton of these machine have this on it? Thanks

Don't give up on it, I absolutely love mine and wouldn't have a Polaris without it! I have the shop manual for it somewhere (I'm in the middle of moving...). I'll try to find it and see what the book says. I'll also check my old belt to see if the numbers are still readable.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Diito AKMUD

I have EBS on my 6 wheeler and wouldn't have one without it. He is right, the EBS takes a different belt, so make sure the #'s are right. I can check mine when I get home tonight as I have a new one hanging on the wall.

I am pretty sure your problem is related to the shims behind the secondary pulley. To check it out ,remove the belt cover. Start the machine in neutral, rev it a bit then let off.The belt should not turn when you let off, if it is adjusted correctly. Notice if the belt is touching the inner half of the clutch or the outer. If it rubs on the inner sheave, you need to add a shim behind the secondary clutch. If it rubs on the outer sheave, you remove a shim. The shims are just large washers.Usually the machine comes with two preinstalled.It can use from zero to a total of 4 shims depending on the rubbing on the front clutch.You will probably solve your problem by doing this.Ask if you have more questions.

Longshot makes a good point. Can you check to see where the tension is being applied? (on the side of the belt = shim problem, on the inside = clutch distance/belt length)
    AKmud

Thanks guys, The problem with the shiming It has the two mentioned... Is that belt is sitting way down in the secoundy already, Going in any farther as i mentioned before makes the machine feel like it,s in high instead of low. You want that belt as high up as possable to keep the right ratio: The guys, at the shop are at a lose as what to do except return back to stock parts,? My book say,s 069 for Ebs beltno#and the 091 is for 600,700,800, Also the belt is not touching on the side,s it rubbs right on the shaft itself, Just like if where to short?

I got to thinking about the shim thing after I posted that last comment when I remembered you said the belt was riding low in the secondary. If it is riding low, it has to be too short, there is no other explanation. I don't know if there is any adjustment for shaft to shaft distance. On most snowmachines, you can adjust that distance slightly with the torque stop and motor mounts. There is absolutely no reason the EBS clutches shouldn't work on your machine! Unless....are there different EBS systems for different machines? I need to find that shop manual...
    AKmud

BTW, the part number off my old belt is Polaris #3211069. My machine is a 2004 model.
    AKmud

Thanks for looking at your belt no# AK. Thats what it calls for and has on it. I,m on the same page with you, just tad to short of belt. The Tec. says that moter is solid mount with rubber underneath ,another words no ajustment there, Yes there are different Ebs, one with ribbed other has smooth some time 05-06 were changed, I,m told i have 05 style on 06 machine, But they should all work? How,s your shifting to high? Mine has this big clunk in it Low Or reverse pretty good, I and friend of mine have 94 Model 96&97, all liq. 400 2strokes. Looking for the up grade.My 94 fried the wiring this moose hunt this yr. It has served me well over the yr,s but to much wrong with to fix cost more than it is worth, Just not off to a good start, with this one. Always seems to be something, Gotta love this <form> though Thanks for the replys

Default EBS Installation

Not wanting to highjack the thread, but is there an after market EBS that can be added? I have a '05 Ranger and would love to add engine braking. Are these just for the Sportsman 6x6?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by aktrapper; 10-15-2008 at 15:16. Reason: clarity

Yes, there is a ton of aftermarket stuff for these machines Clutch kits ect...I,ve been studying this stuff over the last week. All the way to the Factory My understanding with the 6x6 or the ranger didn,t come with it, is the weight factor.What it weighs and what it will carry+tow, they were worried that could over rev the motor in a downhill situation. Some drivers woudn,t know to use the brakes with it. I am going back to stock set up for mine, This not a ad here, but i .will be selling mine soon as the switch back is made. It is a maintance issue with me,I have figured out what was up with mine,But i like the kiss, Kept it simple stupid. Theroy. Last Machine has spent 14 yr,s out at my cabin,so bring in to town every yr to the dealer just to much. P.M. me if want more info, Call the dealer see if it will fit, There are different fly weights. As I,m not the greatest typer in the world.

So did you figure out what the problem was? Was it not fixable?
    AKmud

I Believe so, talked with the experts, And they did mention that shims under motor mount would solve that issue. I,m just not willing to do that. just easier for me to change the clutch set, back to stock. As stated,In the long run less moving parts,Belt whare Ect..Little different power curve, That hillard clutch needs TLC< every couple Yr,s. I,m a Flat lander and the other Ones i have&had never had it anyways. So there won,t be any different to me, Thanks for all your help,jeff