Thread: 45-70 or 35 Whelen?

Default 45-70 or 35 Whelen?

I have been thinking of selling one of these. Which would you keep?
    4570 is a Marlin stainless XLR with laminate wood. It has a ghost ring sight.
    .35 Whelen is custom FN Mauser action blue, glass bedded walnut stock. Has a Nikon 3x9x40 mounted on it. No iron sights.

I have reloading equipment.
    I also have a 3006 for a supply of brass for the .35.
    Which would be best for Alaska? I was thinking of selling one to obtain more reloading supplies and some accessories. I have 13 long guns, 4 shotguns and three pistols.

The two above are my largest calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    I have been thinking of selling one of these. Which would you keep?
    4570 is a Marlin stainless XLR with laminate wood. It has a ghost ring sight.
    .35 Whelen is custom FN Mauser action blue, glass bedded walnut stock. Has a Nikon 3x9x40 mounted on it. No iron sights.

I have reloading equipment.
    I also have a 3006 for a supply of brass for the .35.
    Which would be best for Alaska? I was thinking of selling one to obtain more reloading supplies and some accessories. I have 13 long guns, 4 shotguns and three pistols.

The two above are my largest calibers.
    I own and love both. I'll put some noses out of joint, but in my hands the Whelen is vastly more versatile as a hunting round. Probably the only thing I'd change on it is the scope. I prefer a 1.5x5 on all my larger calibers.

i'd get rid of the Whelen, but only because I already have the same gun in 358 Norma Mag!
    Seriously, if I were coming o Alaska with only one rifle & those were my 2 choices I'd take the 35 without question. Much more versatile & will do anything you need up here.
    I love the big lever guns, have had a couple & wouldn't mind a guide gun in 450 Marlin (I already have dies & brass from an Encore), but the 35 Whelen is an outstanding & under rated round. I had one in a Rugger 77 but trading fever got the best of me Had one in the AI version in a 15" Encore pistol & it was an outstanding round, but I got rid of it as I'm getting out of the Encore handguns.
    All in all I think the 35s are the best compromise gun up here.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I totally agree with the others here. The 35's are one of the most underrated cartridges going, and the 35 Whelen delivers the most punch per grain of powder burned. More than ANY other cartridge. I shoot a 358 Win and love it, and the 35 Whelen is a souped up version of my 358. The Whelen shines when handloaded, and you're obviously set up for that. Here's a site that provides some interesting info:
    http://35cal.com/rep.html

My own opinion is that the 35 Whelen is pretty much twice the cartridge that the 45-70 is. Just as much punch, and way more versatile. I hope you keep it, but if you decide to sell it, let me know. It sounds like a sweetie.

I would keep the 35whelen. I also have both. the 45/70 is a better knockdown, close-up but as everybody knows things dont go as planned. the whelen is a better overall caliber IMO.

Thanks,
    This is what I thought.

Another vote for the whelen. It'll do everything the 45-70 will do as well as what the whelen will do. Heck, load the whelen with a 225 tsx, launch it 2700 fps and there are few hunting situations in alaska that will require a different recipe.

The 45-70 is certainly a great round, its just you never know when you'll be presented with a longer shot.