Thread: Let's talk about Mausers....

Default Let's talk about Mausers....

What do you like about a Mauser 98 and what don't you like? Also what Mauser features do you like modern bolt rifles?

I like the "C" cut of the inner reciever ring, best gas seal.

I like the positive safety that acts directly on the striker. It will hold the striker even if the trigger is knocked off the rifle. Maybe a dressier safety lever to pretty it up a bit. The best was the model 70 transition safety.

I like the Mauser trigger but would modify it slightly for better pull. I prefer the Winchester trigger, simple, rugged, safe and reliable.

I like the claw extractor, none better.

I like the all steel one piece trigger gaurd/magazine box, floor plate in any of the various configurations.

I don't like the cut in the left locking lug for the ejector to pass through.

I don't like the dual purpose bolt stop/ejector. I would prefer something more streamlined and less bulky and a seperate function of bolt stop and ejector. The best is the Dakota 76.

I don't like the sloppy wobbly feel of the bolt of military Mausers, I prefer the precisely fit of the bolt to receiver of the Dakota.

I wish Dakota's were affordable.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Again?

Okay, so I'll save the 'they made gazillions of 'em and they're cheap" remark for the last. Oops...did it again.
    I don't particularly care for the fact that they were made all over the world, in hundreds of factories, cottage industries, and even in the streets in the middle east. Quality is NOT consistent from one make to the other, even in the commercial actions. Can't say that a Santa Barbara is in the same league with a Husqvarna commercial. Parts are not universally interchangeable. They just aren't. Makes shopping and building a bit complicated from time to time, and there's other easier actions to sort out.
    Seems like everyone and their brother makes just about any imaginable accessory or modification forthe things.
    I like the model 70 safety (any version) much more than most of the cobbled together imitations. I also am a fan of the Model 70 trigger, and have often wondered what it would take to make one work in the 98, but, there are an awful lot of 'boxed' triggers out there, and the streamlined look of the Commercial FN style shroud is tough to beat.
    Can't comment on the merits of the C in the receiver, except to say that only perhaps 1% of my rifles have this feature, and I haven't found it necessary to wish that I had it.
    I absolutely detest the way the bolt flops in the receiver ways. Mausers always had that sloppy 'flannel pajama' feeling to me, and I much prefer the feel of starched and pressed cotton, if that makes any sense.
    I'd sure like to see a lot more single shot actions available, and extractors or bolts with extractors for the smaller rounds, like .223 rim size. Wait, there's the 799 Remingtons and Mini Mark X's for that, never mind.
    I've never much cared for the way that Mausers flex around. They're just flat not stiff enough to make into a consistent competition type rifle, but they do okay as a casual varminter in any event, so not much to whine about there, and I've seen way too many of 'em with quality stock work and barrels that shoot much better than they should to expect anyone to take my criticism seriously.
    Now, for the biggies for me......They made gazillions of 'em and they're cheap!!!!!

Murph, cant argue to much with your list.

One more thing I like is the availabilty and interchangeability of parts between mausers.

I dont like the price of nice clean 1909argie's

All my rifles are 98's or 1917's. they knew how to make them, for the most part.

I'll take a nice VZ-24 anyday over a win, rem etc.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    I'll take a nice VZ-24 anyday over a win, rem etc.
    And so will I!!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

When a hunter says 'Mauser" images of the classic hunting rifle come to my mind. Rifles with beautiful walnut stocks, express sights, 2 or 3 position safeties, claw extractors, one piece trigger guard drop box magazine boxes. A beautifully made custom safari rifle based on a mauser action is a work of art.
    I have never had an opportunity to actually hold in my hand a rifle that would be considered a work of art but I have seen pics of them and read about the gunsmiths that built these rifles. One of my favorite books on the subject is titled: Modern Custom Guns by Tom Turpin lots of photos, also another oldtime favorite is by Jim Carmichel, Book of the Rifle. Here is where I read for the first time about the Brevex Magnum Mauser action. I consider this action to be the premier magnum mauser action. Probably never own one since they are out of my price range, but what the heck a guy can dream.

Thumbs up Mauser History...

I like the Mauser history. I have read about the Mauser exploits in the worlds most famous hunting grounds for most of my life. I have never owned one. Would we have had our Springfield and Winchester Mod. 70 bolt guns without the Mauser? I like and shoot Mod. 70's, I have several of them. If I was rich I would have a bunch of Dakota rifles in a bunch of calibers. It seems like a 100 years have passed and the basic Mauser design is still the standard for a real hunting rifle. I think it always will be, unless ignorance completely takes over our rifle makers.

Murphy, the sloppy bolt is something else but it works. I would rather it be tight but I can't compare my M98's and variants to a Dakota cause I never handled one or owned one. I have considered saving my pennies for one but that thought went right over my head really quickly

Thus far I have not experienced anything I truly think that needs to be improved on but you never know.

I appreciate the "all" steel design, the big ripping claw extractor, the 3 lugs, gas venting, the "soft" steel that will supposedly "swell" instead of "explode" when pressures show its ugly head.

There is no other rifle that I can compare it to for further work outside of some superb craftsmenship in building a supreme shooting, one to behold, twinkling in the eye Mauser.

I cannot for the life of me compare a Mauser to a Savage-just me.

gotta love a Mauser.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have a 1935 Chilean Mauser, 98, and I DONíT LIKE, not knowing if the 98 Mauser stocks that Hogue sells will fit it.

I sent them an email and they ainít answered me back.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty that I understand is a desirable Mauser. The hogue fits my VZ's quite well, abit large in the barrel channel but for 90 some odd bucks is not bad at all. Rifle shoots accurately as well out of it.

Hope it works out. If not I would be interested in acquiring a Chilean Mauser

Default no left handers

Hope you don't mind this little Aussie adding his 2cents worth to your discussion re Mausers.
    We have a lot to thank Paul for but God couldn't the manufacturers been a little forward thinking and made em in Left Handers. All of them exmilitary mausers and not one lefty.
    I don't particulrly care for the sloppy feel of a mauser but i could live with it if it were a lefty.
    Those horrible mauser military stocks and i still reckon i could live with em if they were in left handed.
    All those really cheap actions out there and not one a lefty, oh i could live with a mauser if it were only a lefty.
    Wahbi

Another mauser action that I would like to see is the Kurz Mauser. Read in Bolt Action Rifle by Haas and Zwoll that these actions were factory barreled for 3 cartridges; 6.5x50, 8x51, and 250 Savage. Now if a person had the money to buy a Brevex and a Kurz Mauser action, life would be good.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks grizz106:

I'm spose to keep this one in the family. It has the original stock, but has the bolt handle filed down, and drilled and tapped for a scope, that was mounted high for clearance.

I gather it has little collector value, so I thought to sporterize it, with a new stock and bolt handle, to begin with.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I dont like the military Mausers because of there sloppyness and weight but I did get an Interarms Mark X 30-06 that is very light and has a smooth action. I use to always joke that a guy could strap a 2 pound hammer to a Winchester and pretend it is a Mauser.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I use to always joke that a guy could strap a 2 pound hammer to a Winchester and pretend it is a Mauser.
    Mausers are for REAL men!! Girly boys shoot Winchesters

Let's be honest though, how many oz difference is there between a bare sporterized military action & a like length mod 70 action (honest question by the way)?
    My mod 98 358 Norma weighs 11# but part of that is the leather sling, 3-9x 50mm Redfield scope, one piece Luepold base, & the half a walnut tree the guy stuck on it! Beautiful, but being replaced with something a bit lighter someday, or at least having a good chunk of the beavertail forend etc removed. Sure is pleasent to shoot though!

(By the way, I'll be the 1st to admit that the old beater pre 64 mod 70 in 270 (of my father in law's) that my 15 yr old daughter shoots is a sweety. If I drew a goat tag... Gotta do something about the ancient Weaver in tip-offs though)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Its amazing how much a Dakota action cost and its just a very fine tuned 98 mauser.

All of the best commercial actions have all been 98's dressed up to different degrees. My 2 all time favorites were a Kodiak 30-06 and a FN 270. Both now belong to somebody else because I'm a dumb ***** (can anyone relate to that?).

My 24 year old son now ownes my all time favorite project rifle that started out a VZ 24 8mm and is now a pretty nice 06. That one took a whole winter and I did it all myself. At that time Brownells had a tech on their staff that ate, slept and breathed 98's. He was an old timer that was long on know how and short on words. Though I did the work he gets the credit for the projects success, all but the wood...cuz in his own terms "He weren't no whittler."

The two characteristics of the 98's that are unequaled are positive feed and positive extraction. I fully agree with Murphy's views on the ejector but I don't have a good answer for it. Just yank the bolt back hard I guess! It's always worked for me.