Thread: Mauser ejector question (1st of many silly Mauser questions?)

Default Mauser ejector question (1st of many silly Mauser questions?)

Playing with my "inherited" 98 in 358 Norma, & it isn't ejecting well. Extracts great & kicks the case loose from he extractor at the end of the stroke, but dumps the empty back in front of the bolt instead of "tossing" it.
    Ejector worn short???
    If so how hard are they for the mechanically inclined (ex-helicopter mech) to replace? I see how the bolt stop assy comes off but have never removed one.
    Who's the best source for such items?
    Thanks...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The ejector is part of the bolt stop "box". they do wear out. sucks too cuz I just gave away the last one I had laying around.

You can pick them up off e-bay, auction arms, etc for less than $20.

I don't think either the extractor or the ejector are difficult to replace but the ejector is cheaper and easier. I think your ejection problem is more the extractor as it is loosing its bite just a tad too soon. Some of these Mauser claw extractors, when ground to meet magnum bolt head size, are ill shaped and loose grip too soon because of it. The angle of the ejector being wrong (worn) or the fact that it is too short slightly (worn) could also be the problem.

Does it work correctly when you cycle fast? Slow? Niether?

I don't follow instructions well, I like pictures. If you can find an exploded drawing of the M98 and its parts you'll see the pins and such. The extractor is a pry up the nose and slide forward depatrure. Brownell's would be my first choice for parts.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

A commercial extractor for a Parker Hale or Magnum, Muaser will probbaly work on your 358 Norma Mag Mauser. As mentioned, some folks modified the extractor claw from the smaller diameter standard case to the magnum profile and just goofed it up. When that happens the case is pulled back just fine but then the extractor claw pops off the case just a little too soon and the case ends up sitting on top of the other rounds in the magazine.

Also,,, you may want to look at the little channel that is milled into the bold head that part of the claw extractor goes into as a guide. Sometimes this channel gets a bunch of old hard grease stuck inside of it and the claw is forced up out of the channel while it rotates. This will give you the same symptom.

I recently bought an older Husqvarna rifle that had been stored for 20 years and that rifle had all sorts of weird stuff inside the bolt parts...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Now the question is how to determine which is the culprit, the extractor of ejector.
    Float Pilot, the bolt is reasonably clean... But I'll look.

Got to thinking & remembered a '98 that I bought for the wife 15 yrs ago that's stuck in a case under the bed. It was a Interarms import (sportorized military) as I recall & it is almost unshot. For some reason I'll never understand I got it in 243 (in an '06 length action. Duh... make a dandy 35 Whelen!). Anyhow, I may take the entire bolt stop box off of it & stick it on mine & see if that gets it going... Hers hasn't been shot in about 15 yrs anyway.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I am beting it is the extractor like Murphy said. It is a fairly easy fix and nearly any gun smith could do it. I have open them up for mag cases with varying degrees of success; I now take it to a smith.

Good luck. J.

I took the bolt stop boxes off both my 98 & the wifes & compared the ejectors. Hers had a much squarer corner where it rides against the bolt. Installed hers in my gun & it seems to work OK now with some empty brass, but I need to get some more ammo loaded up & actually try iti in the field. Hopefully today.....
    Vance in AK.

I had this problem with my Whitworth Mauser in .375 H&H cal. The ejector and extractor looked fine according to my local smith with Mauser experience. I looked at other .375's, one a Winchester model 70. One thing they shared in common, an angled clearance groove inside the rear receiver bridge to help the shell gain more angle before it hit the receiver and was knocked off the extractor by the ejector. I dremeled this groove in mine (duplicating the angle of the shell as it tried to eject)with a 1/2" sanding drum and it has been flawless ever since, POSITIVELY kicking empties out. Guess they just missed it on mine.

Thanks Malamute.
    I noticed that very spot you speak of as I was playing with the gun & toticed that it put a mark on the brass there. If this doean't do it that may be next.....
    Vance in AK.

Default Mine too

Vance, my FN 98 did exactly the same as yours is doing and I got all the same advice you are. I tracked it down to the ejector spring . Take off the ejector/bolt stop housing and inside there is a flat spring that pushes the ejector through a slot.Slide the two parts of the housing apart and bend the spring putting more pressure on the ejector so it protrudes more and contacts the shell rim and flicks it out. Worked for me.

Default Mauser magnum ejection clearance cut pics

I took a couple pics of the clearance cut I made. Looks like the fatter cases need just a little more room for the shell to start "around the corner" to clear the action after the ejector hits the shell. Other .375's I looked at had this cut from the factory. The 30-06 Mauser I have has the cut, just not as deep as was needed for my .375 to function reliably.
    Attached Images Attached Images