Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air guns for grouse

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Air guns for grouse

Recently i purchased a beeman pellet rifle, what a hoot to hunt grouse with it.. we have had a good supply of spruce and ruffed grouse lately and i have pulled 22 out of the back trail the last week or so. i have also a new surprising hunting partner for the grouse.

seems my wifes little miniature dachshund loves to grouse hunt.. he is not much on trail manners yet but he is sure adept at tackling them when they hit the ground. he also don't like the wood pecker or the gray jays feeding on the moose bones we hung from the tree. we missed one here, a few minutes ago all i got was feathers. i found they die fastest when hit just above the shoulder at the base of the neck. at 1000 ft per sec. the pellet still bounces when body hit with the winter plumage on. at over 20 yards. the dog flushed about 20 birds this morning and it took two hours to get his little excited self back indoors...

the only difficulty so far is the can of pellets.. have to open and close it each time as the air gun is a single shot. in the cold i spilled part of one can.... there should be an easier way to carry pellets for reloading...

any ideas?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Recently i purchased a beeman pellet rifle, what a hoot to hunt grouse with it.. we have had a good supply of spruce and ruffed grouse lately and i have pulled 22 out of the back trail the last week or so. i have also a new surprising hunting partner for the grouse.

seems my wifes little miniature dachshund loves to grouse hunt.. he is not much on trail manners yet but he is sure adept at tackling them when they hit the ground. he also don't like the wood pecker or the gray jays feeding on the moose bones we hung from the tree. we missed one here, a few minutes ago all i got was feathers. i found they die fastest when hit just above the shoulder at the base of the neck. at 1000 ft per sec. the pellet still bounces when body hit with the winter plumage on. at over 20 yards. the dog flushed about 20 birds this morning and it took two hours to get his little excited self back indoors...

the only difficulty so far is the can of pellets.. have to open and close it each time as the air gun is a single shot. in the cold i spilled part of one can.... there should be an easier way to carry pellets for reloading...

any ideas?
    Where are you located? I just bought a pellet gun to shoot at the ducks hanging around here. So far it has been hard convincing her that it was a good buy. May be able to convince her if I could find some grouse around Juneau.

If you can find the old school Crossman pellets, they come in an easy to open plastic case that fits on your belt. Also, the pointed pellets are MUCH more accurate and penetrate alot deeper. I was only able to get about 2/3s through a phone book with the flat pellets but all the way, plus an inch into a stump behind it, with the pointed ones.

Mark

I've used them in areas with restrictive firearms rules. I shoot a Sheridan.

I just keep a dozen or so pellets in my pocket and pull them out individually.

I take my pellet rifle on moose hunts for ptarmigan/grouse so that I'm not shooting a 22, spooking the moose.

Hey Vince my youngest uses a BB gun also for Grouse.We shoot alot of squirrles around here at the house also with it.And like you said dont shoot at the body as the wings take must of the brunt from the bb/pellet.I am just above that right at the top of the wing, and that usually drops em fast. Daniel

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Where are you located? I just bought a pellet gun to shoot at the ducks hanging around here. So far it has been hard convincing her that it was a good buy. May be able to convince her if I could find some grouse around Juneau.

If you can find the old school Crossman pellets, they come in an easy to open plastic case that fits on your belt. Also, the pointed pellets are MUCH more accurate and penetrate alot deeper. I was only able to get about 2/3s through a phone book with the flat pellets but all the way, plus an inch into a stump behind it, with the pointed ones.

i am JUST a short ride from Juneau...... well several short rides if you get the AK AIR milk run....

80 miles south of Fairbanks in clear....but hey come on up.... need an agent in Jeneau....i'll buy lunch
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Hey Vince my youngest uses a BB gun also for Grouse.We shoot alot of squirrles around here at the house also with it.And like you said dont shoot at the body as the wings take must of the brunt from the bb/pellet.I am just above that right at the top of the wing, and that usually drops em fast. Daniel
    LOL Daniel thats why i bought he pellet rifle.. the kids were all using the BB guns. and Dad needed to be able to walk the trail with them...

my oldest girl... 12.. can shoot squirrels in the head out the top of the trees.

my next 10... well she took my new pellet gun and shot x mas lights off the string.. one after the other... after i missed 3...

the boy 10... well he and his mom moved up from ID.... 2.5 years ago... thats him with the bear on my Sig photo...... with his 243... he cant stand being out done by the girls....

I bet him 5 bucks first time he shot the 10/22 he could not hit the bulls eye at 35 yards and open sight....

cost me 10 bucks.... 2 clips later..

the 7 yr old well she is coming along.... she is small so hard for her to hold them up still. but doing it.....

meet on face book here

here are two taken this morning... little dog does good dragging them out of the brush... not sure where he decided to get it from but he sure loves it

( first time getting photos on hope it works) i guess i have to fix date stamp on camera
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:48.

meet on face book here

Default Funny Dog

I love your pics of the dog, must be quite the character... completely shatters my sterotype of those little fellas...

Glad to see it getting out there and having fun, as far as I am concerned any dog that enjoys getting into the birds and can at least loosely follow orders is a good hunting dog!! No matter the size --

Enjoy and keep posting pics...

Cool pics. My schedule is busy as hell but I'll look you up if I get a chance to make my way up there.

Just FYI I'm pretty sure its illegal to shoot ducks with a pellet gun as it counts as a rifle, you may wanna check with F&G on that
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

here are two taken this morning... little dog does good dragging them out of the brush... not sure where he decided to get it from but he sure loves it

( first time getting photos on hope it works) i guess i have to fix date stamp on camera

Thats the awesomest hunting dog Ive ever seen?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Vince that is way cool,atleast you wised up before it cost you 20 bucks or more.And the picture of your dog is top notch thats so cool.Keep em coming.Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Just FYI I'm pretty sure its illegal to shoot ducks with a pellet gun as it counts as a rifle, you may wanna check with F&G on that
    If memory serves me right you can only use stainless steel for ducks well tungston somehting or another also,anyhow doesnt the pellet size have to be a certain size also? And I dont think they make a stainless steel BB or pellet for airguns do they? BUt I agree I'd check with F&G also.

thanks daniel.. at least now i can put some of those recipes to use from that other thread....

as a note the new pup will be here the 21st....

meet on face book here

i use my drozd blackbird for hunting grouse..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwUWzp21d_I

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Default weird dogs

I'm glad I'm not the only one taking the unusual dogs out. I got some pretty funny looks two weeks ago with the wifes mini shcnauzer.

Default pellets

Also, may want to give the Predator pellets a shot, they work pretty good for me out of a Talon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    If memory serves me right you can only use stainless steel for ducks well tungston somehting or another also,anyhow doesnt the pellet size have to be a certain size also? And I dont think they make a stainless steel BB or pellet for airguns do they? BUt I agree I'd check with F&G also.
    I couldn't find anything in the regs that said you could not shoot ducks with a pellet gun or anywhere it defined a pellet gun as a rifle. If I missed it please let me know. Also, they have started selling tin pellets. Guess having kids running around and handling lead during there youth seemed like a bad idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i will be in th F&G office in Fairbanks today... so i will ask and get clairification...on the duck question... if so, i might stop by peger bridge, hand full of bread and an air gun

grouse count this morning... 2 on the trail.. i let them fly until i see more. i like to keep a few around....
    Vince

meet on face book here

I couldn't find anything in the regs that said you could not shoot ducks with a pellet gun or anywhere it defined a pellet gun as a rifle. If I missed it please let me know. Also, they have started selling tin pellets. Guess having kids running around and handling lead during there youth seemed like a bad idea.
    Never gave much thought to it but we all tossed a couple in our mouth when we were in the birds heavy so they would be handy for reloading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast