Thread: Squirrels any good to eat?

Default Squirrels any good to eat?

Lot of them scurrying around my house. Wondering if they would make a good meal.

I dont know about eating them...but they sure are fun to shoot
    Last edited by AK Trout; 10-07-2008 at 15:14. Reason: spelling

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i know guys that do stew them... normally soaked in milk to remove some of the spruci taste...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i know guys that do stew them... normally soaked in milk to remove some of the spruci taste...
    I'm assuming they could stand in for rabbit in recipes right?

Mark

Excellent survival food, but nothing I'd like to stock the freezer with.

They can be stringy and bitter. The soaking-in-milk trick is a good idea.

Stewed a couple up, honestly they remind me somewhat of a gamey pork roast....

Sure are fun to shoot

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Squirrel can be very good if prepared right. As with most game, the younger the better. Older ones are much harder to skin, also. I usually
    par-boil the critter with bay leaves, onions, ect. for a while to help tenderize. Flour and season, brown in your favorite grease, but in the dutch oven and cook slow. After cooking for about 3 hours slow, make gravey with the drippings, and serve over wild rice. MMMM.....I'm making myself hungry for squirrel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Squirrel can be very good if prepared right. As with most game, the younger the better. Older ones are much harder to skin, also. I usually
    par-boil the critter with bay leaves, onions, ect. for a while to help tenderize. Flour and season, brown in your favorite grease, but in the dutch oven and cook slow. After cooking for about 3 hours slow, make gravey with the drippings, and serve over wild rice. MMMM.....I'm making myself hungry for squirrel!!!
    Sounds good. Might give this one a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    That makes me think of trying squirrel dinner.

I always thought I may be missing out on something good having shot hundreds of them and never trying to eat one.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default They get my stamp of approval

I've shot two squirrels this year for their pelts. (I am getting into doing my own tanning, and squirrel is a good place to start.) I ate both of them, and I found them to be very tasty. I roasted the first over a fire on a stick, and I boiled the second in water with some spices and ate it with rice. I was surprised how good they were. I agree that the meat is similar to pork.

These are red tree squirrels, not ground squirrels. I was hoping to get a ground squirrel this season to get myself a bigger pelt to try to tan, but it didn't happen. Are ground squirrels any good to eat? Don't see why they wouldn't be.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default The great white hunter has returned....

.....after four hours of hiking with a total of ONE squirrel. At this rate I'll die of starvation shortly before midnight. At least if I don't like them it won't have wasted too many.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    .....after four hours of hiking with a total of ONE squirrel. At this rate I'll die of starvation shortly before midnight. At least if I don't like them it won't have wasted too many.

It's amazing how hard they are to find when you want to shoot one huh?

Wanted to eat one a few weeks back when I was camped out, but had no luck...darn...
    Nice Marmot.

Yeah and when I went looking for a bear Sat I didn't bring my pellet gun. Must have saw 15 of those buggers. To top it off, I lost my bear tag somewhere in the woods at Cowee. $125 down the drain.

Trying some moose and squirrel pot roast tonight. Told some of my friends down south about it. They are not quite as excited about eating them as I am.

We eat squirrel here in WI. Have since I was young. Par boil with some onions in the water until slightly tender.. Dust with flour and fry in butter with a little oil so the butter does not burn. Hope you will try them. These are the larger grey squirrels. We never ate the red.

Trying some moose and squirrel pot roast tonight. Told some of my friends down south about it. They are not quite as excited about eating them as I am.
    mmmm.....

Last thanksgiving I made up some porcupine and spot prawn kabobs....the girls weren't so exited, but I thought they were great
    Nice Marmot.

Yeah and when I went looking for a bear Sat I didn't bring my pellet gun. Must have saw 15 of those buggers. To top it off, I lost my bear tag somewhere in the woods at Cowee. $125 down the drain.

see any sign?
    Nice Marmot.

I got to say I was pleasantly surprised. It tasted like pork. Definately will be eating it again. Only thing was it was really stringy. I will need to cook it a bit longer next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    see any sign?
    No nothing. I went about 2 miles up the river from the bridge and 1 mile down from the bridge with a couple of jaunts into the woods.