Thread: Advice

Default Advice

I was given an older model .50 caliber Thompson Center (hawken style) muzzle loader by a friend. The gun was only fired twice he said when he gave it to me. I have never fired a muzzle loader and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for information on loads, needed gear etc. I live in Dutch Harbor and dont know of anyone out here who shoots black powder.

Thanks in advance,

Default Hogdon

Hogdon has a free booklet on muzzleloading. It may only cover Hogdon Black powder substitutes but that's a start. T/C will send you a starters instruction booklet if you request.
    Lyman has an excellent book on black powder guns, shooting, ballistics and much more if you wish to purchase one.
    It's a lot of fun; Good Luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by akdoshin View Post
    I was given an older model .50 caliber Thompson Center (hawken style) muzzle loader by a friend. The gun was only fired twice he said when he gave it to me. I have never fired a muzzle loader and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for information on loads, needed gear etc. I live in Dutch Harbor and dont know of anyone out here who shoots black powder.

Thanks in advance,
    You can get the Hodgdon manual as a PDF download here. Go the the Products dropdown menu and select Muzzleloaders.

There are excellent loading instructions and data in the Lyman "Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual." It will become your bible.

You can download a PDF of TC manuals from this page.

This page has what looks like very useful articles for you.

If you still have questions, pipe up. I can probably track down more sources for you.