Thread: predator guns?

Default predator guns?

I'm just curious what others use for predator hunting. Realizing that once you start using your predator call you have become the hunted, how do you compromise between having enough gun for whatever might answer the call (i.e. bears), but not so much gun that you do unnecessary damage to smaller animals?
    For the last several years, I've used a 30-30 loaded with 170 gr. Interlocks. It is light, compact, easy to handle, and I've found that for the range I typically shoot when predator hunting it is adequate. I did kill a decent size grizz with it years ago, but of course it isn't my first choice as a grizz gun. Eventually, I may switch to a 270 or 280, but for now I'm happy with the 30-30.

Mark

I finally just bring my 300 WinMag., because my weeklong excursions by snowmobile are in March/April when bears are a possibility, and a 300 will just punch a nice, 30 caliber hole in smaller animals without much expansion.

The only predator's I'm interested in anyway are wolves and bears. I have no need for foxes, coyotes, or wolverines.

204 Ruger and 243 wssm are my go-to predator rifles.

22-250 17mochIV 7mm-08

I will probably carry my tikka 270wsm this year unless I get the funds for an AR 15. Then I will probably start with the 223 before eventually getting into reloading and building a 6mm AR which is my version of the ultimate do it all predator gun.