Thread: snare cable flexibility?

Eagle River

Question snare cable flexibility?

I am going to be building some snares and am wondering what would be the most flexible wire, 1x19, 7x19, or 7x7. I don't want a stiff cable because I have heard that lynx will refuse to push through a stiff snare cable.

Bristol Bay

I use 7x7 for everything but wolves for them I use 1X19 as with wolves I like a nice round loop that will stay in shape. It is really a presonal preference for most trappers of one or the other it sounds like you are wanting the 7X7 wich is not near as stiff
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default I use ..

1x19 for wolves. Not really sure what my lynx snares are though. I like the stiffer wire as it holds a circle much better. I know with the 7x7 you will have to have branches, etc. to keep a wolf snare up. Way too limp for me.

Fairbanks, Ak.

I prefer 1/16th, 1x19 cable for lynx. Lynx are not very snare shy, cable dia. won't scare them away. The 1x19 holds a circle well, if you load it. I think it is more stable in the wind also.
    Plenty of trappers here in Ak. and stateside like 7x7, lotta critters caught with it every season. You'll have a harder time with the 7x7 getting a decent loop, but you get used to it and learn how to use it.
    Stay away from 7x19.........way too limp.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I would disagree slightly with MT about lynx being snare shy. My first year trapping cats, I had several of them go right around my snares. I was using 3/32, 7x7 cable. Last year, no refusals with the 1/16, 1x19 cable. I caught 3 and they hardly put up a fuss.