Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 win mag for Moose and Grizzly

Default .300 win mag for Moose and Grizzly

Is THIS round good for all alaskan game? I've done some reading about it and it sounds to me it is. But I want to hear your opinion.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL Andrew one thing your going to find is this crowd Loves to agree to DISagree... your .06 is a good round the 300 win mag is a good round... none of it matters if you don't know how to shoot them. look up and down the threads they range for 223. - 338...is this good for that?n honestly the # 1 round of all time in AK i would bet is the 30-30... it has probably killed more large game then most the Popular Cal's. combined I shoot moose with a .223 and a 300 win. or any in between because i know how, and when... my best friend years ago... had a 54" bull walk out in front of him.. Beretta .9 MM para. 3 shot to the heart and 20 yards... moose laid down and died. we all agreed probably not his smartest choice but he was confident at the time and that is the biggest hurdel...

what are YOU comfortable and Confident shooting? bore size will not make up for lack of practice or training. that is all there is to it. learn to shoot
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Could always do what a friend of mine does.

He packs his 30.06, then his Ruger pistol, then his 45/70 rifle as well. He also takes a second pistol sometimes too. And he wonders why he is dripping in sweat while I am doing fine on the trail.

I figure by the time he sees an animal, then decides what he is going to use, then fumbles around and gets the right gun chambered and in position, that the poor critter will have died of old age or laughed itself to death.

But this is the same guy who does not like to hunt in the rain nor will he venture more than a mile from the truck. Needless to say I don't go out with him very much. To date he has never killed anything.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I know how to shoot quite well. I feel I can put the bullet where I want it. But I want to put the most effective one in him. As of right now I am looking for a new rifle. So I want to get the best caliber possible.

300 mags are great. It all comes down to bullet placement.

One of my favorite hunting rounds is the 308 winchester. The 30-06 is that plus some and more still for the 300 win mag.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I agree with the others - I like the 30-06 with a 200 gr Nosler Partition for large game.

There is a 300 on the swap and sell that is a good price. If I didnt just by a 300 I would pick this one up. It is a weatherby vangaurd SS for 650.

Default 30 cal

I own a 300wsm,300H&H, and 300wm so it's obvious I like the caliber.

I handload and work up from 150g-200g bullets for these guns.

Versitile and Capable.

Learn how to shoot them.

Default 330 for all AK

I have a 300WM for "most critters" and a 375 H&H magnum for big toothy things

Default yep

I use a 300wm and a 300wsm. My old man used a 300wm for lots of years. We have shot everything from deer to griz with it.

Default 300 win mag

Buy a rifle in which you feel is the best in your hands. It's all abot the placement of the shot. Me i shoot a 300 win mag. My father bought the gun the day i was born and when i turned 16 he gave it t me. I have shot all kinds of differnat game with the rifle it has never let me down. With no piont really made here just pick out a rifle that makes up happy to own and feels good when you pick up. It don't matter it a 30.06 or a 300.

Default 300 wm

In my opinion is the best round!! from 150gr-220gr @500yd or 50feet you can't go wrong aslong as you know how to shoot But out of all my guns(28) its my favorite...Just my 2cents?

Dude......you didn't have to start a new thread , you coulda just stayed asking questions on the 3 page thread asking about the 06.

jumping back and forth .... tough to keep up with you. Nothing wrong with the .300 win mag, loved mine for awhile until I picked a FN Model 50 .30-338 win mag, was the "famous" .30-06 but rechambered/bolt face open'd and rails tweek'd some.

I'd say keep the .30-06 Springfield and buy the .416 Ruger, 2 different beasts entirely and could use them both from mice to .............both designed in the standard action. Of course the Ruger is a new round and won't come out until later this year or in the beginning of the next and ammo won't be available until Spring of 09 so.......it is your call. Or the .375 Ruger if you don't want to go over .40 bore....there is no more 12' Kodiaks so the you can use the .375 Ruger on whales.

I'd say the .300 win mag don't hold much over the .30-06 in reality IMO unless you want to send something light way down range but the aught six can do that as well. Ruger too has the 300RCM something to consider in the 30 cal. magnum in a handy package. Between my .30-06 and the .30-338 I prefer the 06-it's just me. But what do I know? I too have been known to highly favor and carry my Win. 94 .30-30AI with either the Partition or 180 hardcast sooo....I figure you have some time to do your homework and figure out what you want to spend and for what purpose. Lots to choose from.

Lots of sheep, caribou, Moose, bears, seals, Muskox, Sitka deer, Goats have fallen to the aught six-not much more can be said against it other than being facitious and saying "I think I'll go buy one and shoot 165 TSX's out of em".

It's been a good one thus far and no reason why we can't just agree to just disagree on some things many good calibers to choose. I've 4 .338 calibers, 2 mags and 2 A-Squares but go to the aught six more often than not and to my 9,3x62-2 different breeds.

When you are good with one particular firearm and acquire more you too will feel that you can pick up any one of them after first developing skills with them and doing with confidence what you need to do. It just does not matter.

It has been said to "fear the man that has one weapon and that can shoot it well"! Something along that line but you get my drift.

shoot straight.

Wal I guess I'm going to buy the aught-six and put my bullets in the right place!

Default rifle

The 06 and the 300wm are both popular in Ak. Get good bullets and it really doesn't matter. Take which ever you shoot best. I knew an old timer in Kodiak that took many bears in kodiak w/ a 30/30 winchester. I prefer my 300 weatherby but I like to be able to reach out and touch something if need be.

Default reach

I think that is the major difference your getting with the magnum 300 caliber, reach.

I'm no balitician (balistics) but it's my impression the 30 caliber projectile being thrown at higher velocities has more range before it falls prey to gravity and wind.

I shoot the magnum 300 guns for that reason.

If I want to maintain velocity and down range trajectory in a smaller powder "kick" I shoot the 25-06. In fact because of the "kick" factor I tend to go for that gun often.

It depends on what I'm hunting too and what season I'm in. When it comes to alpine critters its just smart to have a long bomb ready to roll when that big ol' boy spots you before you spot him. You may only get one shot when he stops to stick his tounge out at ya before he crests the ridge.

I have turned into a 1 gun hunter - 375 HH for everything from Coyotes to Brownies, but I could do the same thing with a 30.06...

PS...The wife will be using the 375 for deer and antelope this year.....WE ALL GOT TO BE CRAZY RIGHT!!!

some may think over gun is too much including myself but....no such thing as over dead.

Default AKmike30

Wow, the day you were born he went and bought your rifle! That certainly endeared you to the outdoors and instilled your identity with the outdoors and your father! I am a father of 4 and am proud of your Dad. You have been blessed, me thinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast