Thread: how much longer for black bears?

Default how much longer for black bears?

What's the latest you've seen black bears out in southcentral? I'm wondering how many more weekends we have before they are hibernating.

Default Black Bears

Last October 21st a sow with 2 cbs were on my deck then jumped in the river and swam across to the island. This was at 10:30 PM and I followed them with the flashlight. The next morning my garbage can was a mess My Bad.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

honestly i think it depends most on the snow fall... then the cold and dark... heavy snows will drive them in faster the the cold will. and are more likely to get up and feed with out a large snow cover. i have seen the out in DEC /JAN. along the little su river feeding. so my recommendation is hunt while you can.. and start watching for them hang around a denning site... you can go back and get them while they are sleeping..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I went out of Whittier this past weekend and didn't see any bears at all, only found a little fresh sign as well. I think along the coast its about over for blackies.

Default No blackies either

in PWS this past weekend. But it was raining, and we typically don't see bears in the rain. Not a whole lot of sign either and still lots of berries down low. Salmon were all dead and nasty white underwater, don't think they will be down to eat those. Looked high and low for them and nothing.

The weekend before last we seen some on the Kenai Pen. Might be our next try again, but who knows. Those bears were up high and might have been ready to den. They were right under the fresh snow line.

Default High

Just finished a 13-14 mile hike through the Kenai Mountains and saw 12 black bears in a little over a day. They were all up high feeding on berries. I have seen them the last couple weeks in October, but again they were up high.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

great shots blackfoot, is that triplets in the first photo?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Black Bear Hibernation....

Every year I see black bears out-and-about until it snows and sticks to the ground. I do not believe they dig through much snow for fall foods. Yet I have watched brown bears dig through two feet of snow to locate food.

It snowed a few inches in the Anchorage area on Monday, 10/06/08. I do not really expect that this snow will last, and I don't exxpect this snowfall to send the black bears to bed. But towards the end of October when the snow "is here to stay", and has a depth of 6 to 12 inches, the majority of the black bears will not be visible until late Apr/early May.

Dennis

Default Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    great shots blackfoot, is that triplets in the first photo?
    Yes. I think we have a healthy bear popluation on the Kenai!
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I saw a failry good sized black bear yesterday eating out of someone's trash can, after he was done there he went across the street for more. This was near Muldoon. I also saw several black bears way up high in Arctic Valley along with a brown bear. I think you still have another month before they will be hibernating.