Thread: Looking For a lab

Default Looking For a lab

Looking for a lab puppy to train or a lab that is a few years old that has already had some training

Default gsp's

dont know if you jsut want labs but theres a guy in big lake that has some killer German Shorthair pointers... there bloodline is on fire i just picked up a female and they are exellent retrievers and pointers...all around dog!!!! 400 bucks a pup... if you want the info let me know
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Default Yellow Labs

I just bought an 8 wk old yellow lab up in Birchwood, look at ADN.com. Paid $500 for AKC registered pup. Mother and Father are on the property.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Check the clubs

The clubs are a great way to find a good dog. Clubs can provide a better source of vetted breeders. While its not fool proof, some clubs won't let members advertise their dogs on the web site unless they have the standard health clearences and you also know that the dogs work.
    A month ago I asked a guy that was selling Lab puppies in Fred Meyer parking lot why he was selling them there. He said the clubs wouldn't let him advertise because he didn't have OFA or eye clearences. Good for the clubs.

You can see a list of dog clubs including retrievers at www.alaskadognews.com calendar pages. Click on the September PDF.

www.alaskadognews.com

Default Pound

I have seen guys find good bird dogs at the pound. Alot of people leaving state, or can't have pets in a new living arrangement. I have seen three labs guys got from the pound that were just what they wanted, a great pet and a decent duck finder. They are usually not papered, but what an awesome deal for you and the dog.
    Two of the dogs came from Kodiak, Coast Guard guys who couldn't take the pups with them.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Retrievers at the Animal Shelters- good option but work

One thing to look for is that their dewclaws have been removed. Most breeders will remove them, Baron Rea from Wetlands Retreivers told me that. If not you may be getting a mix or not a lab at all, just looks like one. Before you go to the shelter,get a bird wing, I think you can buy feathers at Sportmans if you can't find one. Toss it around in the dog yard and see what they do. I also take a squeeky ball and some treats to see what motivates them for photos. Same to see personality.

I've been taking photos of shelter dogs for about 8 months and found that you need to give them plenty of time on the first visit. I saw one lab-golden? dog come out last week that cowerd in the corner for about 3-5 minutes. They've been in a kennel with not much to do for days. After the kids stopped shreeking at him, got down to his level and petted him, he came alive. I had a hard time leaving him by then.

Labs are pretty resilient but its taken 3 years to get our shelter lab, Molly to retrieve on command with some enthusiam. She seems to have gone through some bad "force" on land, shaking when I started it so I had come up with another way to motivate her.

Shelter dogs are more of a crap shoot than a puppy from a known litter but ours have given us so much love and try so hard. It's a real thrill when you can take a dog that someone threw out, bring it back and evan excell. Molly jumped 20 ft at DockDogs this summer. For hunting this year though I'm glad we have our meat dog to ensure what we shot is picked up.

www.alaskadognews.com