Thread: Does anyone know where to find 50 caliber balisitic charts?

Default Does anyone know where to find 50 caliber balisitic charts?

I am looking for ballistic charts for my 50 caliber T/C muzzleloader. I am shooting a T/C Omega with a 28 inch barrel and shooting 370 grain maxiballs with 100 grains of 777 pyrodex powder. I would like to know what the foot pounds of energy are out to 150 yards. I am also curious how the 300 grain shockwave sabots compare with the same amount of powder.

The other question is what do you feel the minimum foot pounds of energy are required to make an efficient broadside kill on a big bull moose?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CubeCove

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    I am looking for ballistic charts for my 50 caliber T/C muzzleloader. I am shooting a T/C Omega with a 28 inch barrel and shooting 370 grain maxiballs with 100 grains of 777 pyrodex powder. I would like to know what the foot pounds of energy are out to 150 yards. I am also curious how the 300 grain shockwave sabots compare with the same amount of powder.

The other question is what do you feel the minimum foot pounds of energy are required to make an efficient broadside kill on a big bull moose?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CubeCove

I just checked Lyman's latest BP loading manual, and though they have extensive ballistics tables for 50 cal, there's nothing there for 777. The Hodgdon site has lots of data for 777 under the Products section. There's a PDF you can download with data and starting velocities for a variety of 50 cal bullets, though no downrange data. Knight has extensive downrange ballistics tables for their bullets in a PDF, if that's any help. You might go right to the manufacturer's sites for the bullets that interest you and see if they have downrange tables. Between the MVs you get from the Hodgdon sites and the tables from the bullet manufacturer, you can probably piece it together.

Hope that helps.

There's a nifty online ballistics programm at RealGuns.com.

Good info. Thanks for the advice. I have also seen a good calculator if you know the weight of bullet, and speed it is traveling at this link:

www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/energy.htm - 33k

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    Good info. Thanks for the advice. I have also seen a good calculator if you know the weight of bullet, and speed it is traveling at this link:

www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/energy.htm - 33k
    Yeah, I meant to toss that into my post and forgot.

Here's some food for thought with your Omega:

My hunting pard has one, and it's laser accurate with patched round balls (.490 ball with .018 patches) over 40-50 grains of Pyro P or Goex 3f. Not a big game load by any means, but it's a 50 yard head smacker for snowshoe hare with that load. Best of all, it's a really fun plinker. You'll shoot that load a bunch between big game seasons, saving yourself a bunch of money in the process. You can get Lee round ball and conical moulds for around $20, which really cuts down shooting costs if you can find a source of free lead. A couple of hours of casting turns out several hundred balls, so it's a great tradeoff for your time.