Thread: Meat trailers

Default Meat trailers

Me and a buddy of mine want to build some meat trailers for our 4 wheelers. We have found a set of plans online that we will probably get but I was just interested in some of your guys ideas. Any insights or ideas would be greatly appreciated, also pictures of your meat trailers to help us plan them out. WE were thinking angle iron frame with wooden box to keep costs reasonable.

thanks

Default Fish Box

I made an angle iron frame that fits a large Plastic tote like fisherman use. It has a lid
    is about 3'x4'x3' high sturdy plastic and water proof. I'll try to find some pictures. I hold alot
    of stuff.

From my experience this year the two axle kind are better because of increased flotation with any weight in the trailer. I got the single axle severely stuck while others with the double axles cruised on by. Just an observation that may help in your design.

the two wheel walking beam trailers are the way to go they tow much more smoothly and of course they have greatly increased flotation. We have two pac-rat outfitter trailers and they are awesome so you might use them as a good example for fabrication purposes

One of the better setups I have seen was a fairly standard looking Aluminum trailer that was designed to fit one of the larger white fishing coolers so that it slid down in the low section of the trailer between the wheels. The top of the cooler formed a flat load floor with the portion of the trailer that extends out over the wheels. It made it very nice to haul in food etc for a 7-10 day hunt! Then wen you get ready to haul your meat out you just empty the cooler and you get most of your space back. Also if you need to load your meat low the cooler is light for the trip out so you can lash it up top and not get top heavy. Nothing like bacon, eggs and even fresh milk every morning for a 10 day hunt!

Default meat trailer

Here is what I use. Angle frame with tote. Plus crane. Has walking beam as well
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Here are a few things you may want to consider:

• Make the tongue about twice as long as you are planning. 4’ long minimum. It makes navigation on rough trails much easier and makes backing a piece of cake.
    • Put a swivel coupling (I made my own) on the tongue so when your trailer rolls over (and it eventually will) it doesn’t bend up ATV ball mount or mangle the hitch coupler.
    • Make a "safety chain" that attaches to your ATV so that if the hitch pops off of the ball, your trailer doesnt ghost ride down the mountain with all your gear in it.
    • Make the tongue removable for ease of transport.
    • do not make your trailer “water proof”. A trailer that floats is not a good thing in water crossings.
    • weld plenty of “D” rings onto it so that it is simple to tie down.
    • Use pressure treated wood and put several coats of penetrating deck stain on it to extend its life.
    • Use the same wheels and tires that fit your ATV. Take off factory wheels are easy to find on Craiglist and this forum. It gives you 2 to 4 spare wheels and tires wherever you go.
    • Install “bearing buddies” on the hubs.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Here is a pic of mine. It isn't as big as a lot of them, but I have only dumped it once (almost dumped the 6x6 too though) falling into a BIG rut. It is a very simple design, and the entire box can be made with one sheet of 1/2" plywood.

A friend of mine recently built a trailer similar and made it with a removable tongue like Alangaq said. He went a step further though and made it so the tongue could be attached to the back of the trailer as well so you can pull it from either direction. Makes it pretty nice not having to turn the trailer around sometimes.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    He went a step further though and made it so the tongue could be attached to the back of the trailer as well so you can pull it from either direction. Makes it pretty nice not having to turn the trailer around sometimes.

Yeah I could see that. Maybe a couple bolts to remove and switch the tongue to the back of the trailer. NICE idea.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Default 4 wheeler meat trailer

I also have a ball mounted on back to hook to when I get stuck or to pull another trailer.

Here's the one I just had built to pull behind my Argo for moose hunting. I can take it all apart with pins so it easier to store in the truck/trailer to drive to camp. At the top of the tongue, there's a 2" receiver where I can put my Argo winch and winch the moose right in the trailer. This picture was taken before I added the plywood and painted it.

Default Question for bcsteve

That's a stout looking trailer. Looks like great craftmanship. Why did you attach the tongue to the trailer frame as high as it is? What's the advantage of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    That's a stout looking trailer. Looks like great craftmanship. Why did you attach the tongue to the trailer frame as high as it is? What's the advantage of that?
    It is based of the Mountain goat trailer which as a tongue similar to mine for extra clearance when going over logs, steep hills or other obstacles. I gave my welder pictures of the Mountain goat trailer to give him an idea of what I wanted plus my own specification, including the winch mount. I told him I wanted just a regular tongue. He ended up building the tongue similar to the Mountain goat as it would also allow him to mount the winch bracket. Overall I'm very happy with it. I'll get to test it next week on a moose hunt.

This is how it breaks down, all with pins except for the two axles.

Default Nice setup

How heavy is the entire trailer? Looks like you could haul a D8 on it.

These trailers are awsome, thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm definately going to have to look into that walking beam design for the axles, looks very interesting.

Default this one has been good for me

RRR enterprises- on the web, built it myself, tub from mill and feed in anchorage