Thread: A Project nears Completion.....

Default A Project nears Completion.....

How long has it been since we started this one?
    Back when the 375 Ruger was still a rumor and the dimensions of the brass were not fully know a fellow forum member and I began to discuss the possibilities of such a case as a base for a wildcat. Several here have read about it now and then and it has taken a while to sort out all the details but I think it is finally becoming a reality.

We e-mailed reamer drawings back and forth and we discussed the merits of each change. We also worked through the many details of each step and tried to coordinate every phase so each part of the project would be complete and arrive in time for the next step. I've done this several times and this one has been one of the smoothest from start to completion or near completion that is.

The making of the rifle involves the lock, stock and barrel, not necessarrily in that order. My counter part managed that effort quite well. My tasks were less involved. I finalized plans and the design of the chamber reamer, considering lead time for it to arrive at the chosen gunsmith with the barrel and action. Dave Manson produced one of his superb reamers and that went well for us. The same chamber reamer drawing was forwarded to the die maker to assure dies and chamber and the ultimately formed brass would all be compatable. This requiring a stated 16 weeks lead time which actually became what has now been seven months but delivery is promised within a few days now. This drawing is also e-mailed to the brass maker for a quote for making brass with the correct headstamp and dimensioned to fit the newly designed chamber.

We will have the name, chosen by my forum counter part, stamped on the reamer, dies, rifle barrel and ultimately on the headstamp of our custom made brass. It is a good feeling to know a plan has come together. Though the project is far from over, we are nearing the end of the gunsmith tunnel and the light may be muzzle flash from the new rifle.

I'll leave the details and photos to the owner of this newby and anything else he may have to add. I am still excited about once again stamping another new name on a wildcat cartridge of my design. The fun begins with the initial testing and load development. Hopefullly my experience and education in this field will carry the project through to completion quickly and without serious difficulty.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I remember that rather lengthy thread!
    Excited to see it's almost done & hope it does all you hoped for.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks Murphy,
    I am still waiting for a call from the gunsmith that the new .358 Nukalpiaq rifle is completed, imagine that it will be anyday now. As soon as that happens may have a few pics to post on this thread.

Sorry guys, no pics yet.

Didn't want anyone to misunderstand my previous post, AGW gunsmith after receiving my rifle back from McMillan Fiberglass Stocks did his part and completed the rifle on November 10, 2008. Redding came through as far as I know with the two sets of custom reloading dies that I wanted, one set for Murphy and one set for me. Murphy did email me back in mid January 2009 stating he did develop a load for the rifle using a 275 grain Kodiak bullet @ 2600fps. Quality Cartridges emailed Murphy in October 2008 with a price quote for new properly headstamped brass which he forwarded to me back in January 2009. Haven't ordered the brass yet, (kinda expensive) but will order it eventually since I do want brass that has the proper headstamp. From there I haven't really heard anything further about my rifle, or my reloading dies, formed brass or any further load development results. I was planning on heading into Fairbanks to pick up my rifle in person but that did not work out for me, was just too busy this summer with work and family. So we thought that it would be best to mail it to me. (Still waiting for it, so that is why there are no pics of it to date). Maybe during the interim Murphy if he is not too busy can fill us in on the status of my rifle and the loads being developed for it. Sure would be nice to have my rifle and ammunition home before this fall's hunting season starts.

Just wanted to add that the project started on August 12, 2007. That was the date I made the first inquiry about a 358 on a 375 Ruger case here on this forum. In 10 days I will be 2 years into the project. If I had know that it would take this long, probably would not have gone through with the project. Additionally it cost a lot, had to put in a lot of hours @ work and do a lot of saving to pay for the rifle components, gunsmith's time, reloading dies, and now a good chunk of change is going to go toward having the brass made with the proper headstamp. One thing I can say about all of this; the custom route takes a lot of time and cost a lot if you wanna do it right.
    When I finally get my rifle and ammo back home and take it out on it's first big game hunt will probably ask myself the big question; Was it worth it?

A complex project that requires many fingers to complete can test ones nerves. However going hunting with a gun of your own design with a cartidge layed out by Murphy that carries your name on the headstamp would be second to none.

You could buy a new truck and in ten years you got nothing but your much anticipated new gun will serve you until death do you part and then several generations of your offspring for years to come. I am green with envy!

Yes, this is really cool, I can't wait for the testing. 35 Cal is a favorite of mine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have followed this one as well and have found the whole process fascinating.

Thank you gentlemen for sharing the experience with us...

I too am fond of .35 caliber rifles, namely the .350 Remington Magnum, but this wildcat should be a REAL fine one and I am interested to see what kinds of numbers it turns in.