Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .30-06 for Moose and Grizzly

Default .30-06 for Moose and Grizzly

Will this round kill Alaskan game? I'm wondering.

Default NO

and then again maybe, been discussed 3000 times on here already, here's the long and the short of it so no one else has to chime in--- placement is more important, and the 06' has killed everything in Alaska, so go ahead and use it. No one on here would use it to kill a griz unless they had too, or unless they are crazy, and then definetely within 100 yrds....

If I didn't sum this up correctly rest assured you will get 50 answers for which gun is the best for Ak.

my early vote is the 300 Weatherby

The .30-06 is probably the most common moose hunting rifle around. Some people think it is too light for grizzlys, but they are used on them.

Like BAR said, it has been discussed in depth and more depends on shot placement. If you do a search on 30.06, you will find a TON of info here.

The 30.06 has probably killed more moose in this state than any other caliber. For bears....I've taken a few blacks with it and I know friends who have taken browns, but there are probably better calibers for the big (mean) guys.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

This year's moose went about 15 yards after a chest shot with a 30-06 / 180 grain nosler partition. Earlier in the fall, I had the drop on a griz at about 100 yards with the same rifle and load at the end of an unsuccessful sheep hunt, but fortune favored that bear as I couldn't remember that as a resident I did NOT need a tag for griz in that area. Bummer. Lesson - know for sure what non-target species are available before you go.

Well a sharp stick and an arrow can kill moose and bears
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Bigger

I hit a big brown bear (8-1/2 to 9') this fall using my 30-06 and 220 gr Nozler Partitions. First shot at 75-80 yards dropped him like a sack of potatos. Second and third shots hit him in the shoulder trying to break him down. Last sight, he was over a mile away and running like the wind, never found a drop of blood or hair anywhere. Spent over six hours that day and even looked by air the next day and never found him. I am still dissapointed at loosing that bear. Now I am in the market for a 375 H&H. Just my opinion, use the largest gun you are comfortable and accurate with.
    Adison

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    I hit a big brown bear (8-1/2 to 9') this fall using my 30-06 and 220 gr Nozler Partitions. First shot at 75-80 yards dropped him like a sack of potatos. Second and third shots hit him in the shoulder trying to break him down. Last sight, he was over a mile away and running like the wind, never found a drop of blood or hair anywhere. Spent over six hours that day and even looked by air the next day and never found him. I am still dissapointed at loosing that bear. Now I am in the market for a 375 H&H. Just my opinion, use the largest gun you are comfortable and accurate with.
    Adison
    Thats quite a story. I'm trying to wrap my head around why there wouldn't be blood.

I would argue that the .30-06 has killed more big game in alaska than any other caliber. I've only shot moose with mine, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bear if I had the chance.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Adison

sounds like a hump shot....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    sounds like a hump shot....

Thats what I was thinking. A buddy of mine did that with my .06 on a good sized Valdez blackie. First round piled him up with feet in the air. About 2 seconds later he was up and running like a sprinter! No blood/no hair/no bear...

The bear was broadside at 75yds (per rangefinder) and my gun shoots 3" high at 100. I don't think he compensated for it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Great link ed.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for incidental brown/grizz. For me, I'd like to be less than 150 yards for a grizz if possible.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    Will this round kill Alaskan game? I'm wondering.
    Yup. Seen plenty of both killed with a .30-06.

Magnums start becoming more prevalent once you reach the gravitational influences of Los Anchorage. Bushkins hardly ever use them and those that do are transplants.
    Now what ?

My dad killed his AK pen grizz with a 30.06. Not to mention bou moose and dall sheep...all depends on the shooter

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

No doubt a .30/06 will get it done. However, you must ask yourself if it is enough if the bruin mounts an enraged charge after taking a hit that wasn't perfect. If that is the most recoil you can handle stick with it. I wouldn't recommend making a habit of hunting large bears with it. The longer you do it, you're odds increase that a situation will arise that requires immediate energy beyond that of the .30/06.
    I worked with a fellow who shot a grizzly with his .30/06. I could see the sobered concern in his eyes as he recalled the bear's enraged behavior after hitting it square in the chest. The bear got away.
    Bottom line is most Alaskan guides carry a much larger caliber for such charge. The .30/06 will work but a .300 win mag, weatherby, RUM, .338 or .375 will get my vote for Mr. Brown or if I'm hunting moose in grizzly country.
    If you use one for bear, use heavy-for-caliber boolits such as 200 and 220 grain A-Frames, Fail Safe, Barnes X and the like.
    Good luck with your '06.

What is a hump shot?

Thumbs up 30-06....yes!

The 30-06 and a good 180 grain bullet is a good big game load that will always do the job if the shooter does. Long live the great 30-06!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    What is a hump shot?
    that spot just above the shoulders, it is part of the spine with out the cord in it. and creates the hump on moose and bears.... there is a Tech name stars with P but don't ask me to remember it. any way when a critter is hit here it sends a shock through he nervous system and usually knocksthem on their butt ( imagine the ol lady putting a fry pan to the back of your head) unfortunately there is NO CRITICAL blood, spinal cords or organs in the hump. a bullet generally passes through leaving little to no damage. after the initial wack... they usually get up and leave you scratching various body parts wondering what you did wrong...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Adison
    What??? 3 shots, one knocked him over- I agree sounds like a hump shot, the other 2 'in the shoulder' and no blood or hair? That could be the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen posted on these forums.

I have been shooting 180 gr. nosler partitions for about 10 years and have been very happy- best all around cartrige going, but to each their own.

Default Vince

PM sent. j

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast