Thread: Petersburg lodges

Default Petersburg lodges

I am considering booking a fishing trip in the Petersburg area and was wondering if anyone has any information or experience with a few lodges and guides I have come across. The few that I have a little information on are Magestic Eagle Lodge, Island Point Lodge and Petersburg Sportfishing Charters. We basically want to fish for Halibut and salmon in Sumner Strait and Frederick Sound. I would also appreciate any other suggestions you might have also. Thanks!!!

Default check on coffman cove

I would recommend checking out Coffman Cove on Prince of Wales Island. I would give a good look at Coffman Cove adventures. They will really work with you on making the most out of what you want to get out of your fishing. They offer guided salmon fishing on the rivers and self-guided fishing for halibut/salmon on the ocean along with crab fishing. The hosts are great and really try to make you feel at home. Their trip prices are very reasonable.
    Oh I forgot to say the fishing is great!

Here is the link to there website
    http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

Lands End Lodge in Point Baker. (NW tip of Prince of Wales Island). It is a 40 minute or so float plane trip out of Petersburg. Fished there for a week in 07 and will be returning next summer.

The location is right on the Sunmer Straight. Halibut, salmon and rockfish are main species, with lingcod and freshwater in the rivers also availiable.

The lodge owners (the Miller family) are great, probably as good as people as I have met (I have known them for a number of years). When we went in early July, fishing was a little slow, but I have talked with people who have fished there in August and September. Report the fishing has been fantastic.

Of course, slow is relative for fishing. Over the week I landed 10 or so halibut, lots of rockfish and a single silver. Others there that week landed king salmon and the largest halibut of the week was about 80 pounds.

Great whale watching as well.

http://www.landsendlodge.com

Forgot to add feel free to PM me if you have more questions on Lands End Lodge.

Default Why Petersburg?

Why did you decide on Petersburg?

Yes, Alaska Air flies there directly. Not in my top 3 locations to fish from in Southeast.

1. Craig (no direct Alaska Air)
    2. Sitka
    3. Ketchikan

If you must go to Petersburg, then I'd fish from a lodge in Pybus or Gambier Bay.

If you aren't a fan of really scary landings don't fly to petersburg... Just a word to the wise
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks L.G. I guess I should rephrase it to cover South East Alaska. Yes, Petersburg is convenient for the direct flight. Curious about the lodges you mentioned in Pybus and Gambier Bay. Any good suggestions or experiences in SouthEast Alaska would be appreciated. Thanks!!

AK_PM: What's scary about the landing at PSG? Sitka and Lindbergh Field in SanDiego are my two top scariest landings... in the US at least! (We won't discuss my Vlad Air and Aeroflot experiences! ;-)

Back to the OP... Petersburg is a GREAT choice for fishing in SE... there's enough in the little town to keep wives/families/womenfolk happy, the fish processing is right there and absolutely tops as far as SE fish processing goes.

Just my opinion, but I would steer away from anything very far south of PSG or very far North (ie: POW island, Gambier Bay, etc.)... Yes, you'll have phenominal fishing at either end, but sticking close to P-burg gives you the option of fishing Frederick Sound AND Sumner straits. When the kings and cohos are running, you've got great fishing right there in the narrows too.

As far as an actual lodge, there are a number of great operations situated right on the narrows, and a few nearby. If you're going DIY, I was impressed with Capt. Magic (for the days when you want/need a guide and/or bigger water to fish) and you can easily rent a skiff (Doyle's, etc.) for the self guided stuff.

If budget isn't a concern, look up Alaskan Marine Adventures in Juneau... we do quite a few live-aboard, B&B, and Lighthouse adventures (I'm the only one booking lodging on 5-Finger Light right now...)

Oh, and even if he's not available, give Peter Wright a call at Summer King Adventures. He was born and raised in PSG, and runs an active charter business out of Juneau and Petersburg currently.

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I tend to agree with Case on this one. Petersburg is a sweet little fishing town and I have always heard good things about Island Point Lodge. Although, Pt. Baker is super fun as well. Level Island, Keku Straits, Kah Sheets, man there is a lot of good holes down there. Also one of the greatest bars I have ever had the pleasure to get drunk at. Good luck making a decision, I wish I had the time to make that one.

Spent A week at Kah Sheets this summer it Was AWESOME!!! The 3 of us landed Tons of salmon each day[75-100] also went halibut fishing. Caught 4 Halibut and never had even done that before. PM me and I will give you more details.

Default Petersburg

My husband and I spent a week in Petersburg at the Majestic Lodge mid- August and I loved it. Salmon fishing was alittle slow but we caught alot of halibut and Prince of Wales is short trip from the lodge. The lodge is brand new and they treated us like royality. I heard the that Island Point was way too crowded and nickel and dimed their guest for extras. We're thinking about another trip back next summer!

Default Gotta Love P-Burg

I'm glad to hear that people have enjoyed Petersburg. I grew up in that little town and I have to say that it really doesn't matter where you stay, if it's a DIY trip or a guided lodge trip you will have a really good time. The scenery is unforgettable and you will catch fish. Slow fishing is a relative term in Petersburg.
    Newman: I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip I was glad to get a chance to meet you while you were in town.