Thread: Need Help With A Problem

Default Need Help With A Problem

This weekend my 01 Rancher started acting up. The carb was dumping fuel into the airbox, so much that it filled my airbox 2/3 with gas after a couple miles. I pulled the airfilter and you could see the fuel spilling from the carb and into the airbox, when I turned off the fuel naturally the fuel stopped pouring out of the carb. I pulled the diaphram and needle both looked fine. I removed the bowl to inspect the jet and float, both looked fine. There were a few pieces of dirt in the bottom of the bowl but thats it. I just couldn't figure it out. Then I pulled off the carb breather hose, put it back on, and bingo the gas stopped pouring out of the carb. The atv started up but when I gave it gas the motor would sputter. After half an hour of sputtering the atv started to run like normal, but now the atv has a tough time idling.

Any ideas?

The sputtering sounds like water in the gas and it froze my 6x6 started doing that the other day when it got cold up here ,I put some heat in there and it ran fine after that
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I had the same problem with one of my atvs. My problem was garbage in my float bowl filling my engine with gas and was pumped into the air box.

check your oil for gas.

I checked the oil and it smelt fine, but I plan to change the oil since it's about that time anyways. I also tipped the atv on its side when there was a gallon of gas in the airbox. I'm sure some gas made it's way into the case.

The atv runs fine after I give it gas, but now it just dies if I let it idle for more than a couple of seconds.

Default I would guess

that the same crud that kept the float valve from closing is plugging your low speed tubies in the carb.
    Mike
    Get it fixed for the AOD Run on the 18th!
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Exclamation Carb

I bought a fixer-upper last winter to tinker with and then sale, it had the same problem to a T. I rebuilt the carb twice and then took it to a shop where they rebuilt the carb also and it still ran like crap. I then bought a new carb and hooked it up and then it ran purrrfect. The carbs are kindof expensive ($300-400) but it might be your last option. Oh yea, I sold the ATV for $1500 profit, not bad for a winter project.

I'd bet that the "garbage" in the bottom of the bowl got stuck in your float and kept it open. Once the bowl fills, it then starts spilling over into the air box. Like Mike said, you probably have some of that garbage stuck in the jets now.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I'd bet that the "garbage" in the bottom of the bowl got stuck in your float and kept it open. Once the bowl fills, it then starts spilling over into the air box. Like Mike said, you probably have some of that garbage stuck in the jets now.
    The gas does not spill into the air box. It goes into the pistons. If a valve is open it then goes into the oil and thought the vent tube to the air box. If you have gas in your air box you will have a lot of gas in your oil. On my atv I had a gallon of gas in my oil and a gallon of gas in my air box.

It depends on the carb configuration. It is possible for the overflow to enter the airbox. Plus, I think he said this happened while they were riding so any extra fuel entering the cylider would be burnt, it would just be running rich. The fuel making it to the airbox would be stuck.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Assuming you've eliminated the carburetor, have you checked the intake path downstream of the carb for a leak? Here's my thinking--air is somehow leaking into the intake without first going through the carb, thus reducing the vacuum at the carb's throat. With less vacuum, the fuel is not sucked out through the main jet as efficiently, causing the engine to run lean. With less power, you're applying more throttle than you realize to maintain the same power/speed, and then the excess fuel is backflowing into your airbox.

Or, I'm also wondering if a clogged inline fuel filter might be reducing fuel delivery pressure to the carb.

Thanks for the help guys. As of right now the machine runs great under power but will die at idle and gas no longer leaks into the airbox. Tonight I'm going to tear the carb apart again, make sure it's clean, lock tite the screws, replace the oil/filter, replace the plug and so on.

After an evening playing with the wheeler I'm convinced the float was stuck. After an oil/filter change, new plug, clean airfilter, and some other maintenance the wheeler seems to be running good. We'll see how it holds up on a bunny hunt Sunday. I hope I don't have to walk back to the truck.