Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall Wetlands

Default Mendenhall Wetlands

Any body else doing any good in Juneau?

Had a great weekend myself. Saturday I got 1 hen mallard, 2 bluebills, and 4 teal by 8:30. Sunday morning was 2 fat mallards, 2 bluebills, and 3 teal. Back at the truck by 7:45...coffee was still warm Even surprized myself with 2 doubles and 2 one-shot kills. Finally getting my timing back down it seems....and the ducks were eating up my spread

Even better was hunting with my 1yr old choc. lab pup. She's doing pretty good for her first year and didn't miss a bird.
    Nice Marmot.

Nobody here huntin' the wetlands huh??

Well, I guess I'll have to carry this thread alone...

Anyway, went out yesterday afternoon and there were freakin' mallards everywhere! Unfortunatly they were all held up in a couple huge flocks (100's) and wouldn't split up for much. Still managed to get 5 mallards and 2 teal in a few hours. Ava, my little pup, did real good for her 5th hunt...she's REALLY getting into it now! Need to take the camera out there next time. Its pretty funny when she has to race the eagles to get the ducks back
    Nice Marmot.

I do a bit.. not so much this year.

Planning on hitting Salmon creek on saturday morning for an hour.

Do you have a 'spot' on a pond you hunt or in the channel somewhere?

Depends on the tide and weather...

LOTS of teal out by GCI
    Nice Marmot.

I'm looking at going out this weekend, either tomorrow or Sun. I was planning on hitting up near Spuhn Island. Saw a number of mallards holed up in a cove there 2 weeks ago. You going out again this weekend Skookumchuck?

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    I'm looking at going out this weekend, either tomorrow or Sun. I was planning on hitting up near Spuhn Island. Saw a number of mallards holed up in a cove there 2 weeks ago. You going out again this weekend Skookumchuck?
    Heck yeah! There were so many fat mallards out there yesterday, I can't wait to get back out. Tides are good this weekend too. WAAAYYY more ducks out than a couple weeks ago.

I'm not sure if Spuhn Is. is considered part of the wetlands...you might want to check w/ fish & game to make sure. Otherwise make sure your 1/4 mile away from any CBJ road if your not in the wetlands....or use a bow.
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Heck yeah! There were so many fat mallards out there yesterday, I can't wait to get back out. Tides are good this weekend too. WAAAYYY more ducks out than a couple weeks ago.

I'm not sure if Spuhn Is. is considered part of the wetlands...you might want to check w/ fish & game to make sure. Otherwise make sure your 1/4 mile away from any CBJ road if your not in the wetlands....or use a bow.
    Looks like my buddy is on duty this weekend so I won't have a shotgun to use. Otherwise I would say we should meet up.

This is starting to get too easy! 5 mallards, 1 pintail, and 1 widgeon in under 30 minutes this morning....awesome! Didn't even have time to wear the dog out. The weather was great...40 mph wind and heavy rain. Would have been done sooner, but decided to pass on the teal today...the pup was not very happy about that
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    This is starting to get too easy! 5 mallards, 1 pintail, and 1 widgeon in under 30 minutes this morning....awesome! Didn't even have time to wear the dog out. The weather was great...40 mph wind and heavy rain. Would have been done sooner, but decided to pass on the teal today...the pup was not very happy about that
    Very jealous. Where abouts are you heading out at? (pm) I am going to see what I can do about borrowing a shotgun and getting out there in the morning. Not too keen on taking my boat out in these winds.

The wetlands might be the thing I miss most about J town
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

weather looks good tonite for a first light hunt. going to go back to N. sunny point and see if i can find some of these big birds you keep bragging about.

my Lab is 11 now so he deserves to get a few more birds before his time is up

Sunday was tougher for us at least...Still limited out but it took several hours. Between my buddy and I we got 2 mallards, 3 widgeon, 2 shovlers, 7 teal, & 1 goldeneye. Very few mallards flying. Lots of widgeon, but they didn't like our spread at all. Still no geese.
    Nice Marmot.

man.. mon morning was horrible.

2 hours only saw 10 birds total, nothing closer than 80 yards

no shots, my lab isn't talking to me right now :*|

Ouch...poor dog

Were you @ Sunny PT? I think most of the mallards got blasted back to Auke lake on Sat, but the widgeon and teal are still feeding in the flooded grass during high tide...Just be careful not to get stranded somewhere.....Not too fun when a 2 hour hunt turns into an unintentional all-day marathon...

Has anybody been seeing geese???
    Nice Marmot.

heard some geese, but didn't see them

Yeah, spent the first 30 min at the first channel, but didn't see anything, so I went further, past the trees to the marked channel. Saw 2 small flocks of teal way out, and a couple singles... passed another hunter on the way back and he hadn't gotten anything to shoot at either

when i was out it was kind of a bluebird day.. im kind of pissed i didn't setup a blind this year off the enginneers cuttoff road like previous years.

ran out to glacier lake (dredge) after work.. bounced a ringneck from the small raft in the lake.. sure glad I had my lab since he was in the middle.

he's happy with me again

Default geese

geese have been really hard to hunt down but last week i got a flock of 15 to decoy in and dropped four

havent seen them since

Quote Originally Posted by alaskafudge12 View Post
    geese have been really hard to hunt down but last week i got a flock of 15 to decoy in and dropped four

havent seen them since

Sweet....good shootin' I've only seen a handful all season, nothing even near close enough to shoot at. Might be time to start lugging out the goose shells. Which side of the river were you at??

I did see a big flock of cranes a few weeks back, but they were sky-high and on a mission....
    Nice Marmot.

When I have hunted the cuttoff road side of the river, I usually see the geese heading to auke/mendenhall lake around 5 minutes before legal shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Lokis View Post
    When I have hunted the cuttoff road side of the river, I usually see the geese heading to auke/mendenhall lake around 5 minutes before legal shooting

Tell me about it.... Hopefully the lake freezes before the end of the season
    Nice Marmot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast