Thread: Bull Magnet Call Question?

Default Bull Magnet Call Question?

I just rec'd one of these puppies and I was wondering if anybody has found a way to seal the smell of the fiberglass and not dampen the great sound it produces? Not worried about the moose smelling it - just nasty to me to put to my mouth!
    Wife and dogs really enjoy me practicing with it also! Ha
    Randy

Default bull magnet

Use will make it go away

I washed mine wwith hot soapy water & then let it sit out in the open air.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Park it under the shed outdoors with the grass and the leaves for the winter!

Anyone else bust theirs all to heck? Maybe I am too rough with it but mine is all cracked and freyed around the end of the cone. I will probably buy some fiber glass resine and dip it in it to reset it. I find the thing a little bulky to haul so I may just go back to the good old moose scapula and hands or a field made birch bark cone.

a 10 minute brush thrashing session will kill it.

375 nailed it, beat the crap out of it against some tree's and brush and the smell will magically disappear.

OK, I am soaking it in a vat of bourban for a spell - that should help!

Any great idea's from you hard core moose hunters on a good "thrashing" tool? I thought about a plywood paddle of sorts, figure when my hunt is done I can use it for camp fire fodder! I had a scapula but it got left on a fly in in Ontario - doubt that I will have access to another unless I can get a friend to save one...

Not sure the call works anyway - been using it during the prime moose rut here in Illinois and ain't saw one moose yet!

The Magnet also makes a very good thrashing tool also, it gives that somewhat hollow sound of a bull banging his antlers against a tree. Only thing is I wish they would still make the bigger model Bull Magnet, using their current version my hands are all tore up from busted tree limbs.

Default green spruce

I scraped my bull magnet aka "LOVE HORN" against some green spruce and the smell was gone.

AKHUNTER 45; I learned the hard way that a pair of gloves is a necessity when smashing the love horn on brush and trees. If you do not hold the love horn just right when smacking a tree the vibration stings pretty good also.

Smokey; Keep trying the love horn works. I am 100% confident you will call one of those Yukon River bulls to your front porch in Illinois.

Lujon; My Love Horn is showing some good signs of use as well around the ends. I do not believe their is a such thing as being too rough with the love horn. The more you smash the horn, the more it sounds real.

AF: Thanks for the tips - I have some sasafras tree's on a farm I own and that just may do the trick as they carry a strong but pleasant odor!
    I was worried about tearing my horn up until I thought about what a days practice shooting session cost using 300WM and 45/70 ammo and figured what the heck just another cost of the hunt perhaps...
    I rattle in whitetail's here and I too learned to wear gloves early on - ouch! However several years back I got a nice set of mule deer antlers and they are shaped MUCH better for rattling, I have never seen them promoted by the stars of the hunting shows but they are far superior to whitetail antlers...
    I did call in a nice black angus bull but horns were small!
    You have a couple nice pictures of moose, congrats and enjoy your youth and adventure out all you can, I am not sure how many future big game hunts my body will take but I have no regrets as every pain was earned in the wilds over 52 years of hunting, trapping and fishing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I found mine was easier to use and, sounded better after the leading edge was worn in some. it was very awkward at first two minutes on a black spruce and it was all better.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

smokey,

I have never seen them promoted by the stars of the hunting shows but they are far superior to whitetail antlers...

Almost every item promoted by the "stars" is garbage. Sling stix come to mind.

I have been very fortunate while hunting in Alaska. My long hours of preperation and some luck have worked out. The bone on my walls are reminders of the best memories in the field with family and friends. Luckily my wife hunts also and allows me to place those memories up.

The first animal I called in with my love horn was a cow moose in the yard. My dad tells a great story of hunting elk in Colorado where his buddy who had been practicing his elk calls and at first light a big fat bull moose was in their lap looking for love. I am waiting for the day that a grizz comes in to my moose calling. I constantly look over my shoulder.

AFHunter; With all your talents as a moose caller it sure would be cool if you could get down to the delta area and film a calling video for youtube. With all the moose in that area you should be able to get some pretty impressive footage.

AF, I agree - many items promoted are sponsor driven! I have also had several outfitters tell stories of many of the so called"Outdoor Stars" being total jack$*** wanting all kinds of give me this and that and wounding game and wanting to continue hunting etc. One prominent writer wouded 3 trophy bears ( archery) and was mad when the outfitter told him he was done! Not all are bad for sure but some names I heard were suprising.
    Since I know very little about moose I would like to know what you hunters can tell me about how mobil the bulls are? If you see one in a bay or feeding area are they likely to return on a fairly regular basis making it worthwhile to sit and watch say for a couple days?
    Also, on my one and only moose hunt in Ontario we heard limbs snap on more than one set up and assumed it was moose circling us - do any of you guys post a second hunter say 100 yards or so downwind with any success if this is what is happening?