Thread: float hunt and fish

Default float hunt and fish

My son and I are in the beginning stages of planning a raft trip next august or september hunting for caribou and moose.

We are looking at floating 100 miles plus and have a couple of weeks, does anyone have any suggestions which rivers might be good for this type of hunt?

We would like to avoid nasty white water which might turn a good trip up side down however, we both have experience floating rivers.

Also does anyone know a bush pilot service that provides taxi services and or rents rafts?

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    David

Default Float hunting etc

I think when Mike Strahan gets his book out, this will be a great resource.
    Going north to some of the rivers that float from the Brooks range would be a great place to look for longer floats. Many of the rivers over on the Upper Nush, and Mulchatna have the river corridor closed off to out of state hunters with the 2 mile buffer zone along the side of the river.
    Noatak, Melozi, etc. can offer that Expedition you are after.
    Max

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I think when Mike Strahan gets his book out, this will be a great resource.
    Going north to some of the rivers that float from the Brooks range would be a great place to look for longer floats. Many of the rivers over on the Upper Nush, and Mulchatna have the river corridor closed off to out of state hunters with the 2 mile buffer zone along the side of the river.
    Noatak, Melozi, etc. can offer that Expedition you are after.
    Max

Max,

We've done some research on the Noatak however, none on the Melozi.
    So I'll do some digging re: the Melozi River.

Oh and thanks for the info re: the Upper Nush & Mulchatna river areas.
    The other day I D/L the Alaska hunting regs however, the entire hunting regs are missing so we are awaiting paper copies from Alaska Fish and Game.
    Thanks Max,

DAvid

The lower melozi has a couple of nasty rapids. The river goes thru a narrow canyon. The melozi also sees a fair amount of hunters, both ak. res, and drop hunters. It does have a generous moose season tho. There are caribou back there as well, but very scattered, and I believe the caribou season is closed to non res.
    I have seen float hunters on the Yukon below Ruby, who went thru the rapids. I've also seen the rapids and they looked scary to me. Might depend on the size of your raft.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Melozi

I guess you can put in at several places along the river in ponds that are near the river its self, and then do the same coming out so you can avoid the rapids. It does seem that this river has been getting plenty of attention in the past few years. I heard a guide is working part of it too.
    In the past the river was nice because the rapids kept the power boaters out and made the river a nice quiet float. Now the Commercial operators could not stand it and put some boats above the rapids either by towing them up in the winter , or flying them in, so now you have the Motor issue to deal with... Yeah...
    Nothing a Rafter loves more than to see a guy in a jet boat or prop unit coming round the bend... Its like they can't stand to not destroy the silence.
    Its amazing the amount of work people will do so they can be lazy .. oh now thats is an oxymoron ..
    I have yet to have heard of an animal that could make his call heard above the roar of an engine. Ok a Loon can do it.. you got me.
    The river I floated last week was free of any motor boats due to the lower fall water levels. You may need to find a river that just plain won't support a motor boat,, but then again if its that shallow you will probably have to drag a few gravel bars... but thats not all bad. UNLESS..read story below..lol
    I know this has been brought up before, but Last week We again proved that Catarafts vs round boats in shallow rivers is no contest. We ended up loading the round boat with a Gross weight of1,200 lbs of people and gear. The After several gravel bars that took enourmous effort to pull the Cat over , and the Round raft just floated over, we ended up with 1,600 lbs on the Round boat and 650 lbs on the Cat so it could keep up.
    my buddy kept saying, that He didn't understand,," Cats are the thing man"... Thats what all his buddies convinced him of..
    I drew him a picture in the sand of what makes the difference..
    Its called Displacement, and water pillow caused when a flat surface is pushed across water. It makes an added little pillow of water under you that gives you that extra inch that a cat won't or can't no matter what.
    Sorry I got off on that tangent,
    I hope we can find you the perfect river for your trip next year.
    Max