Thread: Huglu?

Question Huglu?

Anyone know anything about this shotgun, like what it might be worth? It's a 12 gauge over and under with fixed chokes. The only info I can find stamped on the gun is: Huglu AV Tufekleri Kooperatifi T.S. 870 T.M. It also has a fixed sling swivel on the barrel & a screw in swivel in the butt stock with ~30" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Kort View Post
    Anyone know anything about this shotgun, like what it might be worth? It's a 12 gauge over and under with fixed chokes. The only info I can find stamped on the gun is: Huglu AV Tufekleri Kooperatifi T.S. 870 T.M. It also has a fixed sling swivel on the barrel & a screw in swivel in the butt stock with ~30" barrel
    I am not familiar with them but it appears to be a turkish shotgun. I have heard a number of good things about the turkish craftsmanship from friends in the military that were stationed there. I havn't had the opportunity my self though since my unit was cut in half durring the staging for the ground assault into Iraq due to Turkish limits. I being the lesser ranked of a two man team was sent to Florida instead.

For value I would look here:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

You should be able to track down info on your gun by contacting the manufacturer.
    http://www.hugluarms.com/home.htm

There's a fellow on 24 Hour Campfire that has a new one in 28 gauge....barrel solder failed after a few shots.....barrels separated. They would have to be very cheap for me to consider one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kort View Post
    I'm only acquainted with them secondhand. Got several friends who are very serious bird hunters in the lower 48, who use serious shotguns. Parkers, old Ithicas and such. They prize the 16, 20 and 28 Huglus as knockaround guns, feeling they're a very good crossover between price, handling and function. They claim they're really reliable, so I'm wondering if the 28 gauge with the failed solder is a generation thing- maybe older ones are better than newer ones?

Just don't know enough about them to answer that, but it says something to me when guys that own and shoot really premium doubles buy them.

Default had one , tossed it

I had one a few years back a friend of mine brought it back from turkey ,Mine was an over under . It looked great untill you looked at it closely , lots of gaps , ill fitting front grip . uneven finish on the metal . Save your money and get a quality gun made by a good manufactuer .

I have two Huglu over/under shotguns and have been very happy with them. I have used them for hunting as well as skeet shooting, a conservative estimate would be 1200 rounds through each. I will caution you that Huglu makes several differant grades of shotguns, from the very cheap and poorly done to guns that are assembled and finished by one gunsmith. The ones I bought are higher end guns that I purchased from the factory in Turkey for 325.00 each.

Talking Huglu

I also have 2 Huglu over and under sotguns. I am ver happy with both of them. Cheapest one is 103 D Canvasback Model in 20 ga. cost in US about 700.00. Other one is Grade 5 and worth more than any Japan--Parker. They make many Models and grades. Which one do you have?

They are common shotguns that are pretty cheap to pick up in Turkey. I have brought some back and sold them after finding the quality is not that great. Barrells were not real consistent in terms of wall thickness. Addtionally the firing pin was made of rather soft metal. Had to replace it after about 200 rounds. Of course they give you extra firing pins when you buy the gun. Should have been an indicator of the quality. Cheap gun that I won't own agian.

Default Which one?

"I also have 2 Huglu over and under sotguns. I am ver happy with both of them. Cheapest one is 103 D Canvasback Model in 20 ga. cost in US about 700.00. Other one is Grade 5 and worth more than any Japan--Parker. They make many Models and grades. Which one do you have?"

How do you tell which one you have? I just picked it up from a friend who needed some cash, paid $150. Would like to sale it, maybe at the gun show this weekend, but want to get a fair price or at least what I paid for it.

Default Turk shotguns

I used to buy them while at Incirlick Air Base Turkey. I think that it was a crap shoot as to whether you got a nice one or not. One thing for sure: they are very pleasing to the eye and the craftmanship looks old world (because it is). They cost $200 to $300.

Default firing pins

I have heard all the talk about the firing pins, and I like many got extra when I purchased the shotguns. However the only firing pin problems I have seen were caused by the owners putting the guns together improperly. If you don't push the unlocking lever to the right when you assemble the gun the firing pins are protruding through the reciever and when the barrell is closed it shears the tips off of the firing pins.

Huglu is a consortium(?) co-op town in Turkey where they build firearms. The so called Huglu shotguns comes in many grades and level of qualities that has been mentioned here. You get what you paid for. They will never be a Beretta or a Browning Citori. A couple of guys at the trap range used them but they wore them out pretty quick.