Thread: Control box switching.

Default Control box switching.

Well I got to looking at my new control box that came with my motor. Dang if it isnt what I need. Its a setup for left hand. I need right hand.

How hard is it to get another right hand box and switch everything over. Is that possible? I have not taken the box apart so I have no idea what it all involves.

Before anyone can answer your question you need to find out if.

Do they make a right hand control box?

If they do, make a right hand control box can you just get them to exchange it?

Can you get a schematic of your control box?

I would talk to the people you order it from and the manufactory get all the information you can.

Why can’t you use a left hand control box?

Many of the boxes are interchangeable. Look at it carefully and see if it can be switched around (like a spinning reel). Even if it can't be changed, sometimes it can be mounted opposite and still be functional.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Why not just take it back to who you bought it from and exchange it for the correct one?

I answer some of the questions as I am helping him......

What Rim Fire needs is a box that mounts to the right side of the boat. His control came off a center counsel which had the control mount on the right/ left hand mount. Which makes it backwards from where it needs to be.

Already looked at doing the swap not going to work because of the lanyard hookup and cable exits. OMC made these things pretty side specific.

Also this control is just new to RF............

We looked at maybe spacing it out from the boat mounting area with just longer bolts. But was hoping someone may have one laying around that we could get a hold of. He needs the control with Power tilt and the round plug.

At least we are finding this now and not in May when we need to use the boat

I talked to J kimberley services today. He said everything can be flipped around. I even asked about the couple of switches on the side. He said theres holes for them on the other side of the box. I didnt see those holes last night, and cant look at the box right now, but I'll believe him for now
    So problem solved there I hope.

After your explanation Dupont Spinner I understand the issue and have no insight sorry.

I went down and took a good look and yes we can make the swap. They put these neat plugs on if your not paying attention you would miss them. Also it looks like the kill switch is molded into the control but that also is just attached very nicely.

I stand corrected. Always learning something.....

What's the outlook on the transom riser????

should be done by the end of the week! With any bit of luck still might make a test run this weekend!

Where are you running it if you get it out this weekend?

probably just a lake, finger maybe? Dont know if any rivers are worth going to right now. Could probably put in at the mouth of knik.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    probably just a lake, finger maybe? Dont know if any rivers are worth going to right now. Could probably put in at the mouth of knik.
    I live close to finger lake and it is where I take mine to test. One of the only local lakes where there is enough room to run it pretty good without driving all the way to big lake.
    I wouldn't do Knik on a maiden voyage given the potential for a loss of power or control. The Glenn Bridge is an excellent place to practice launching and retrieving while fighting the current though! Make sure wherever you go that you take some paddles! If you don't have them let me know and I have some you can borrow. Let me know if you need another person on the boat, if you lose power a river boat is no fun to paddle alone!

Thanks for the offer Lujon! Not alot of people would volunteer to test out a motor in october. If I get to test her out this weekend, Ill let you know