Thread: A coulple of reloading questions

Default A coulple of reloading questions

I am new to reloading, but I had a friend walk me through the process and loaded 100 of .45 Colt. About 70 of those were 250 gr Rainer Lead Safe and the other 30 were Cast Performance 395 gr hard cast over 18 gr H110 and Federal Large Pistol primers. The problem is when I shot the 395 grainers the H110 seemed to burn quite dirty. Much more so than the 250 gr over Titegroup.

First question - would switching to magnum primers help the H110 burn cleaner? Or does that create more problems than it solves?

Second - I've also got a 300 WSM that I want to work up some varmint/wolf loads for. What is a good bullet in the 150 - 165 grain range? This will be over IMR 4350.

Third - I have a Sig P239 and it seems the chamber is not fully supported. Is this much of an issue with the 9mm?

Thanks for all your help!

Oh yes, the above .45 Colt load is for the Ruger New Model Blackhawk, so no worries there

Well I think powders like H110, W296 and Lil'Gun need a magnum primer. I have never got good ignition from any of these powders with standard primers. Even then it will be dirty, the nature of the beast but it will burn more effectively and give more consistant velocity. Probably a little cleaner also.

The 300 WSM for varmints (I'm thinking coyotes here) would likely be an excellent long range zapper with 150 grain Ballistic Tip Noslers. These bullets are quite frangible at those velocities and would not be recommended for deer sized game but as varmint bullets they would be explosive. 4350 would be a good powder for this aplication.

The SiG 239 will be fine with it's almost fully supported chamber with loads that are within SAAMI specs for the 9x19. Actually i think the chamber is fully supported except for the portion of the chamber where the brass is solid. The 239 is a fine piece of equipment and I wouldn't worry about the chamber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

There are some powders that burn a lot dirtier than H110. I do use Magnum primers with all my H110 loads though.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thanks for the help. I loaded some more rounds with H110 and Winchester WLP primers. Maybe if the snow lets up I'll give them a try and see how they go.

Default 30 cal varmint bullet

Try Speer 130 grain jacketed hollow point in your 300WSM. These are VERY explosive and usually very accurate. They are also a little cheaper than Noslers from what I've seen.