Thread: how to catch my lone wolf?

Default how to catch my lone wolf?

I have a black lone wolf that trots the same path almost weekly. It would be the present of a lifetime for my wife. Any tips on how I can take this elusive creature without spoiling the hunt? People have seen it and it is in an area frequented by people.

Default trap

Not sure of your situation as you say many people are in the area. If I was out in the woods without many people, I would find the trail slip in from the side and set a #9 in a foot print (I'm thinking snow here). I usually try to set the trap from behind a tree so there is no disturbance in the wolf trail. This set is usually 100% as it is a blind set and with a clean trap, they don't know its there.

Bristol Bay

I would do like northway said only set several snares along the trail it is using. However if it is in a high use area I would most likley leave it alone unless i knew I could connect on it in an area no one would see. If it comes through once a week where is the rest of the week? Figure out more of it's loop and maybe you can find a place to intercept it where people normaly do not travel
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Palmer, AK

Otterman, I don't know mutch about hunting wolves but I do know people and if there are people in an area walk a mile and you will be alone.
    I would guess that following the trail for a mile or so would produce a good location to set the trap.