Thread: Still Waiting...

Default Still Waiting...

The area I've been hunting all season has progressively slowed each week. Still waitng for some new arrivals. However, it seems everybody went duck hunting this morning. There were 4 cars in the lot this morning and several other cars in the local area. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled hunting weekdays and avoiding the weekends when possible.

Hopefully the birds will push through over the next couple of weeks and it will all be over. No more early morning get-ups, slogs through the marsh, wet gooey gear to take care of upon arriving home, and a stinky dog to wash in order to keep the peace with Mrs. Duckhunter. But, as soon as it's over I'll miss the sunrises over the marsh, ducks turning to the call, 4 wing cupped/landing gear down mallards, and the panicked look on their faces as the guns come up. Overall, it's been my best season so far. I'm just hoping for 2 more days of big flights of birds over the decoys.......we'll see. We left early this morning with 2 birds in order to chase grouse. That was even slower. lol

Default freezing up ?

How were the ponds, I was hoping to get out one more time next weekend but am worried the ponds will be ice'd up south of town.

Funny year for grouse, I am finding the same as you, very slow, not finding many berry patches. I think the dog is starting to wonder if we are just out for a walk.

Not sure about south of town....but all the water was open Sunday due to the slightly warmer temps. I'm heading back out Tuesday morning so I'll report then.