Thread: Need help setting up a fishing trip

Default Need help setting up a fishing trip

A couple of friends and I are interested in setting up a guided fishing trip in Alaska. However, we have no idea where to begin.

We are interested in fly fishing for salmon. I'm not sure what the best time of year to fish for salmon, or where to fish. So I am asking for your help. Can someone guide us in the right direction?

We are looking for a full service tour. Everything but airfare.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Gary Giehl
    Utica, New York
    315-790-2182 Cell
    gary@adirondackfleece.com

Default Oh My!

Your question is similar to: "I am looking into a guided fishing trip in the US!" You will need to be a bit more specific on the experience that you are looking for.

Do you want a guided float trip or a fly-in lodge experience? Do you want remote fishing or are you willing to be around some folks?

What species are you hoping to catch?

Are you looking for small stream or big water?

To get you started, salmon fishing begins in May and continues through October. King salmon is the earliest and coho (silvers) are the last. You can find sockeye (red), pink and chum (dog) in between.

So, that is a start to help you refine your search a bit.

Good luck

We are looking for a fly-in experience.

We are looking to catch any salmon and also interested in trout fishing.

I would be interested in fishing both small stream as well as big water.

Thank you.

Look into the Alagnak River. The river gets runs of all 5 salmon species so if you time it right you should be able to catch 2 or 3 different species during your trip. You can also catch jumbo sized rainbows and grayling.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Look into the Alagnak River. The river gets runs of all 5 salmon species so if you time it right you should be able to catch 2 or 3 different species during your trip. You can also catch jumbo sized rainbows and grayling.
    I agree that the Bristol Bay drainage will offer many choices to fulfill your desires. On the other hand, don't overlook Kodiak, however this year the king fishing was shut down on many streams on Kodiak due to low returns (as were many others, like the Yukon, and Mat/Su Valley streams). That doesn't necessarily mean anything for next year... do some research on both areas.

Default Check out the attached link

Mr. Craft has a couple of outstand lodges all with a slight different flavor of AK.

http://www.fishasl.com/

They offer fully guided trips from very nice lodges.

Take a look at SW Alaska. Great fishing to say the very least. I take float trips each year. We did the Goodnews last year. Incredible fishery at times. Look up the Goodnews Lodge on Google. It is the only lodge on the river which is nice. Also, the nearby Kanektok River is famous. There is a lodge there as well. I had someone tell me recently they have been there 6 straight years and had a great time. Not sure of the name, but I believe it is run by John Duncan and sons. For trip timing, it will depend on what species you are after. A rough estimate, kings around July 4th and silvers last half of August and first week or two of Sept. Great dolly varden and rainbow fishing in this area as well. Fall is peak from what I can see. Which is late Aug and early Sept. But great fishing in late Spring from what I read/hear. We take our float trips in Fall so that is where most of my insights are. For fun, below is a link to our float trip pics. It is a mix of three trips in NW Alaska, and one trip in SW. When the link opens, click "view slideshow" in the upper right side of the page. In my opinion, a float trip is the ultimate way to see Alaska. Solitude, world class fishing, great scenery, wildlife, etc... It would also save your group about $10,000. Food for thought. Any interest, shoot me a pm. It is easier to plan/do than you might think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603727567944/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.