Thread: Ruger Frontier Scout Scope Question

Question Ruger Frontier Scout Scope Question

I have a Ruger Frontier in .338 Federal with a forward mounted fixed power 2.5X scope which has about a 9" eye relief. Has any one tried a variable power pistol scope on this or a similar rifle? I am thinking a higher power scope would be could handy for this rifle, if feasible. Comments would be appreciated.

In regards to the already posted query about the .338 Federal, I find this to be a great round for deer, goat, sheep, etc. so far. I intend to use it on moose soon. I am reloading it with 180 grain nosler accubond, tring to duplicate federals premium round...so far, so good.

Thanks

I have scopes on some of my pistols, and the variables set above 4X to 5X are very picky about eye relief. I don't know if you'll be able to view anything with a 9" relief. Visit a gunshop and browse at the pistol scopes to see if you can use any of them with a 9" eye relief.

The Scout scope concept is not just a scope in the usual sense. It is so placed to allow aiming very quickly, in all light levels, with both eyes open. This aids in target acquisition and tracking. One difficulty with a normal scope is its limited field of view (even at low power) and slow speed of target acquisition, especially on moving targets. The 2.5x scout is about the limit in power for this both eyes open aiming and not cause the shooter to get dizzy or disoriented viewing through a moving scope with one eye at normal and the other at some magnification.

It in essence is meant to make a scout scope a hybrid between fast iron sights and slower, more accurate scope sighting. There are advantages of irons over scope and vice nersa but this scout tries to blend the best of both. It does take some getting used to and some level of practice with it to gain an advantage over either.

Will a pistol scope work? Yes and no, mostly no. Eye relief for a pistol scope is factory set at about 16". A rifle scope is about 3.5" and as you have found the scout is about 9". Each of these eye reliefs has a window of plus or minus about 1.5" depending on power but in general are about that. What this means is that to be able to see the full field of view through each of these scopes we must hold them at about the eye relief distance from the eye. Inside or outside that distance we will see a lighted circle with a cross-hair in it and have no reference to align it with the eye and target.

You can mount a standard rifle scope on that rifle on the receiver to give you higher magnification without the down side of the scope scope (lack of higher magnification) but would be a little slower to use than a scout.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Scout scope

Thanks for the insight, Murphy..I find the scout scope to be super for fast target acquisition, even on a running critter, so I think I wil leave well enough alone. My gunsmith agrees with you and he, too, pointed out that I could mount a regular 3x9 in the usual position, if desire. I may do that on certain hunts that will be long range, non-moving targets, but keep the scout for all around shooting.

Thanks for your great contributions to this site, Murphy!
    Old Yeller