Thread: .375 Build

Default .375 Build

I sold my Savage .375 H&H. I am a Remington fan, and I just couldn't warm up to the feel of the Savage. I have a Remington magnum action on the way and plan to build another lightweight .375.

I initially thought I would build another H&H, but I am starting to wonder if there would be a better way to go, concerning the chambering. The finished rifle will have a 20-21" barrel and have the lightest contour I can get away with.

I have a bunch of .375 H&H brass, so that would be an easy chambering decision....as would an AI or Wby version of the case. There's a bit of a buzz, lately, surrounding the .375 Ruger. I'd have to replace my brass, but I don't think I'll have trouble pedaling my stash of H&H cases.

If you were building from scratch, which .375 chambering would you choose?

I'd stick with the H&H. Its definitly time proven and brass is easy to get.

Its nice to have a light rifle but when you start getting up to the various 375's, IMO a little more weight always help. I'll lose weight on other things.

No doubt in my mind, 375 Wby. It will allow you to shoot either standard the H&H or the Wby version.

However, for you lucky right handers I doubt I would look any further than a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger if I were buying from scratch.

Here is a recent thread on the same subject:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/295102839

Dan-

I'm in the same boat you are and have settled on the 375 weatherby. All the benefit of the 375 H&H plus extra power. YOu can shoot H&H ammo out of it in a pinch too. I'm going to have steve at alaska custom make it up for me. I'm going to leave the barrel longer than 20" this time. I think 23-24" will be the way to go.

Steve at custom guns has a 375 Improved with 20" barrel and still gets 2800fps out of 270gr x bullets and the weatherby is extremely close to the improved H&H.

What did you do with your other .375, Josh? Did you dump it? What action are you using for the new one?

The 375 Ruger will be popular enough that I dont think it will be too hard to find brass or ammo just about anywhere in a couple years.

Another thought though is the Remington action is set up for the longer length of the 375 H-H already so the improved versions would be easy to do.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".