Thread: Kingfisher Boats

Default Kingfisher Boats

Hello all,

I've been reading this forum for several months, this is my first post; Lot's of great info on Alaska fishing and boating. I plan to move up next spring.

I've been researching saltwater boats, as I plan on doing as much as possible. Looking for for any input on the Kingfishers...2425/2525 Pro Series. Would be great to hear from any owners, or anybody with experience with em'.

I'm located in Juneau, and I've seen a few Kingfishers around here, although I believe the ones I've seen have all been around 28'. Although I don't know much about them, they appear to be very well made.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were on our last trip of the season, from Juneau to Tenakee Springs and back. In Tenakee, we ran into a fella with a 28' Kingfisher and got to talking boats. And he had nothing but good things to say about his Kingfisher.

I looked at them before I ordered my Glacier Craft 28. I thought the ceiling was to low and for the same ammount of $ the GC was way more boat. But I had to wait 2 1/2 years for the GC where I could have had the Kingfisher in a few weeks. Check out the custom boat builders before you buy. There are lots of them arround.

Not sure if it is true of all Kingfishers but the three boats at the boat show last year all seemed to have some flex on the back deck. I wasn't too impressed with that.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

i know what you mean about the flexing. The back deck flexes, the roof flexes, and when you walk above the bed by the bow it flexes. I hate that cheap feel to it. The inside is nice for an aluminum boat, but like someone said above, check out the custom builders too. Glacier craft boats are a much higher quality boats. But you do have to wait to get one.

All, Thanks for the feed back....I've been reading up on the GC and agree they do look stout. Taking a year or two to build would'nt be too bad, but what about after purchase support? I'm hearing two camps!

Kingfisher makes a solid boat for any boating that you would encounter in Alaska, although you'd most likely have limited upgrade options to best suite your boating needs & would probably pay as much or more down range when fine tuning w/ optional equipment at a later time as compared to having a custom built boat w/ those options included while it's being built.
    Keep in mind that there are leaps & bounds difference in construction & long term ownership & satisfaction w/ custom boats. I can speak from experience as a previous North River owner & now having a 28' * 10' GC on order. I've also researched lots of different custom boat builders & most quote a min of 18-24 months for completion; builders from AK to BC.
    Have you spoken w/ Mike at GC for specific details on their GC schedules?
    One big question that might answer your question & or concerns, how many previously owned GC's do you see for sale?

Mitch,

Quote Originally Posted by outaMT View Post
    All, Thanks for the feed back....I've been reading up on the GC and agree they do look stout. Taking a year or two to build would'nt be too bad, but what about after purchase support? I'm hearing two camps!

We just finished our 6th season with our Kingfisher. I have not noticed any " flexing" issues, and have had only minor issues.

take a look at bay weld in homer the make a really nice boat too.
    Boatless

Default Kingfisher

Had a 26' 2 years ago.
    Took it from Seattle to Nootka Sound-(or tried to)
    Scariest boat my wife and I have ever been in. Rode absolutely terrible in moderate seas across the straight ! They look great on the dealer lot- but the freeboard and the ride is absolutely scary. If you just want to be "cushy" in a boat and cruise around looking good-this is your boat !
    If your are a serious offshore fisherman and want to be able to go anywhere anytime-look at a Hewescraft 26' Pacific Cruiser. They are not pretty but they give you an amazing and safe ride.

xtrareliable

I just purchased a 2725. So far it has been great (1 month old). Granted, I'm just running around in puget sound fishing for salmon (hardly rough seas). I purchased the boat because it is cushy inside and great for the family. I looked at North River, Fish-rite and Hewes. I did find it strange that Hewes didn't have a self bailing aft deck in the models I looked at (although I heard they just started building one in the class I was looking at). All-n-all North River,Fish-rite and Hewes were great options...I just chose to go with the most comfortable cabin. Good luck with your search and your decision In my opinion, it doesn't seem like you can make a bad decision in the aluminum world.

And a self bailing deck does what when you're in it?

Default 25/25 kingfisher out of whittier

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for awhile and finally decided to join. My husband and I have a kingfisher 25/25 that we just purchased early this summer. Before that we've owned an older Bayliner. Over labor day weekend we got stuck out of Whittier in Snug Harbor on knight island for a couple of days in really bad weather...ended up purposely beaching the boat in a river bed. All I know is that the boat held up really well, only a small ding (about the size of a quarter) in the hull. We took the chance and ended up leaving there after a couple of days. The seas on the way back were really rough still but the boat seemed to handle them fine...just thought I'd put in my two cents