Thread: Turkey shotgun?

Default Turkey shotgun?

A buddy has invited me to the lower 48 for a turkey hunt. I presently have a 20 ga mod, but was considering upgrading to a Rem 870 express super mag 12ga? Anyone have any other shotgun choices to consider (I am happy with the 12ga choice as opposed to a 10ga or 8ga) for turkeys?

Oops already a thread for youth turkey shotguns. Still open to suggestions.

I've shot many turkeys in Carolina ,Using my lucky 12 guage 3 inch mag . But I loved shooting my single shot 10 guage just didn't care for the recoil to much .
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

There's no reason you can't use your 20 gauge if you wanted, but I'd recommend going with 3" mags. I've shot the vast majority of my turkey with a 12 gauge 870 and 3" shells. Really, there's no need to go with a 3 1/2".

Wow. People really use an 8ga. for turkey?

Ouch. (for you, not the turkey)

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Go with the 3 1/2"! I know a 3" will do, heck Ive seen them dropped with a 410 if you can call them in close enough. When a bird hangs up at 50 you'll be glad you have a 3 1/2. 870's are great guns I've got a couple of 'em you cant go wrong.

Mossberg 835 is a great turkey gun that is pretty affordable. I picked one up a few years ago and turned it into a duck gun by changing the sights and the choke. It came with a super full turkey choke and fiberoptic sights. 3 1/2" chamber pump gum. It is a really nice gun. I would reccomend it to anyone.

Default I second the 3.5" Maybe a mossberg

I shoot a 3" Browning Gold, I am happy with it but have decided I am not a fan of autoloaders, I find them tough to load with gloved hands, lacking capacity and sometimes reliability (though I must say I have never had a jam with the Browning Gold after getting it properly cleaned.)

My suggestion is not to go with the browning gold, but rather not to make the same mistake as I ... get a 3.5 inch system... I wish I had for those rare duck and goose occasions where its needed...

On a final note, I am a big fan of Mossberg!! Can't say enough good things about the quality, simplicity, and reliability... at least look over the teardown for a Mossberg 500/590 -- they are truly field strippable, especially the 590.

Default 20 ga. for turkey

Your 20 ga. is fine. The turkey wont know the difference. I have killed them with every thing that is legal here. A 12 or a 10 will get you a little more range but dont feel under gunned. Use a heavy 3" load of 6's and shoot for the middle of the neck.
    Turkey hunting is fun. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Default Don't waste your money

I'm not any kind of authority, but sure shot a lot of turkeys in Alabama and then Mississippi as a kid and teen. I borrowed dad's single shot 2 3/4 12 guage and it always worked just fine, then I got a 16 guage and shot them with #4 shot. My brother always used this .410.

You shoot turkeys in the head or in neck when they strech it out to gobble or to look for you. Typically, they are gonna come strutting in all fanned out with their head pulled in close to their body.You never shoot them in the body so any shotgun will work. A full choke works best to keep your pattern tight. My advice is: don't let anyone talk you into wasting your money on a cannon. My brother-in-law is a very gifted turkey caller / hunter and lives for turkey season. He uses a mossberg 500 12 guage 2/34. Some areas of Mississippi and Alabama have changed to 3 turkeys a year, other areas are still like deer....one per day on the honor system.
    If you have just got to spend some money, get some clothes that blend you into the environment that you will be hunting in. Those boys can see well!
    Enjoy your hunt. If you can't call one in walk rail road tracks in the afternoon just after a train comes by.

Thanks guys -- The 20ga I have is a 2 3/4 shells only and single shot -- no 3in shells. It is 90 year old Iver Johnson. It works great for grouse, ptarmigan, and pheasant. I guess it is the time to break down and buy something new. The rem super mag shoot 2 3/4 to 3.5, which seems like a nice upgrade and versatile. The mention of the 10ga and especially the 8ga was for humor. I had a friend when I was a teen that dad's had a double barrel 10ga -- no one would shoot both barrels at once. Perhaps, the recoil would knock out a few teeth or knock someone out cold or at least a leave a monkey lump on the forehead.