Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T.A.G. Bag owners.......

Default T.A.G. Bag owners.......

Hey guy's, what are you using for washing these game bags? A little bleach and detergent? or??????

Thanks Curt

Thanks for posting this question... I'm going to process the meat tomorrow and need to find out if there is some special way to wash Jeff's bags.

Default T.A.G

I just put 4 sets in the washer on warm they came out like new..I guess you could use a lil soap?? wouldn't use Bleach?!

Mine are still factory clean
    Congrats on getting yours yucky!

This is from the website

""Question: Will blood and other stains discolor my T.A.G. Bags?
    Answer
    : Game-VentTM material is resistent to stains but may retain a small percentage of discoloration after washing is complete. For stuborn blood stains we recommend applying Spray & Wash or other stain-fighting agents prior to washing. If you're concerned about discoloration, simply allow your T.A.G. Bags to soak in a stain-fighting agent, such as Spray & Wash, prior to the machine wash cycle. A small amount of common laundry detergent can be used to remove gamey odors. Hunters may also apply a small amount of bleach to the machine wash cycle to help eliminate odors. .
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Diet Coke

I know it sounds wierd, but pour a can of diet coke in the washing machine with the normal detergent and it will pull out any blood in the fabric. Works with your hunting clothes too.

Learned that one from a friend that is a guide. He learned it from a surgeon. Keep a can or two in your truck too and it'll take blood off your hands like nothing. There's no sugar in it (only Nutrasweet) so it's not sticky when you get done. Can of Diet Coke, and bottle of water to rinse and your done.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Cool, thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Thanks for posting this question... I'm going to process the meat tomorrow and need to find out if there is some special way to wash Jeff's bags.
    We just cut all the meat up this afternoon, can't wait for the first BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    We just cut all the meat up this afternoon, can't wait for the first BBQ!
    Did someone say BBQ?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Did someone say BBQ?
    MAYBEEEEEEEEE? Why, you wanna show up for one?

Default I heard it too!

BBQ...it's that echoing sound of BBQ bouncing off canyon walls...BBQ

I would not use bleach on anything that is going to once again have meat on it. That stink/flavor just doesn't go away.

Diet coke is a new one for me...I'll try it the next time I get the opportunity

I have been using bleach to clean my game bags since day 1, there is no noticeable "flavor" or any other side effect from doing so. After 15 years on this set of game bags they are finally getting thread bare is all. Don't be afraid to use chlorine or oxygen bleach to disinfect or treat stains on your bags. As for stains or discoloration... so what, they don't affect the ability of the game bag to do their job.

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    I have been using bleach to clean my game bags since day 1, there is no noticeable "flavor" or any other side effect from doing so. After 15 years on this set of game bags they are finally getting thread bare is all. Don't be afraid to use chlorine or oxygen bleach to disinfect or treat stains on your bags. As for stains or discoloration... so what, they don't affect the ability of the game bag to do their job.
    Maybe it was the type of bleach I used (not sure if there are differences, but). I used it on raingear and fishing gloves...I can still say peeeuuuuuuuu
    Maybe the material has something to do with it????

I use bleach on my cotton game bags but this year I used a little bit of the sport wash with my tag bags and they came out like new. As a matter of fact they were pretty much white right after I rinsed them out.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by danjordan78 View Post
    I know it sounds wierd, but pour a can of diet coke in the washing machine with the normal detergent and it will pull out any blood in the fabric. Works with your hunting clothes too.

Learned that one from a friend that is a guide. He learned it from a surgeon. Keep a can or two in your truck too and it'll take blood off your hands like nothing. There's no sugar in it (only Nutrasweet) so it's not sticky when you get done. Can of Diet Coke, and bottle of water to rinse and your done.
    wrong time of year for this bit... but it WORKS great getting the bugs off your windshield as well..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Reports

Just wondering. The last couple of years there has been alot of debate over the use of these and it seems like you either love em or hate em. Any reports yet of field preformance this year. I used them and had a problem not crusting.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering. The last couple of years there has been alot of debate over the use of these and it seems like you either love em or hate em. Any reports yet of field preformance this year. I used them and had a problem not crusting.
    I think a lot of the debate arose because some traditional guys think it's important to be crusty (I mean every REAL Alaskan sourdough kinda guy is crusty right?) & some that don't see that crusty exterior as being neccessary (the more "sensitive" new breed Alaskan kinda guys?)

How did your meat fare & what were your circumstances? Was there any spoilage?
    Like I said earlier, mine are still clean
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default bags (hj thread?)

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post

What is the purpose of "crusting" & exactly what is a bags purpose?

I use my bags to keep the meet clean & if it doesn't crust but the meat is still good I dont have to trim & waste meat by thoughing out the "crust". If a crust is desired can't you just open or remove the bag while its hanging. I would think if you are not able to remove the bag it most likely will be because of warm weather which brings out the bugs & definetly makes meat care challenging, but in cooler temps spoilage is much less likely with or with any type of bag. All in all I am a fan of the TAG bags they are just so light & so much less bulky pretty hard to beat IMHO.

Default Cleaning game bags

I have cleaned mine successfully with bleach, the same way I wash my cotton bags. The reason the synthetics come out so clean is because they are made of non-absorbent (plastic) fiber. Cotton will retain some staining because it is an absorbent material.

I will start a separate thread concerning the crusting issue- if folks want to discuss it that would probably be a better place rather than hijacking this thread.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post

I use my bags to keep the meet clean & if it doesn't crust but the meat is still good I dont have to trim & waste meat by thoughing out the "crust". If a crust is desired can't you just open or remove the bag while its hanging. I would think if you are not able to remove the bag it most likely will be because of warm weather which brings out the bugs & definetly makes meat care challenging, but in cooler temps spoilage is much less likely with or with any type of bag. All in all I am a fan of the TAG bags they are just so light & so much less bulky pretty hard to beat IMHO.
    What a refreshing post, a person with a brain.
    I was starting to think we had run off all the people with common sent on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post

I couldn't agree more, I had no issues with them at all, they worked very well, so I will be ordering more for the bigger critters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast