Thread: Ak Hunting News: Yukon Flats Athabascans Working Towards Bison Reintroduction

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Yukon Flats Athabascans Working Towards Bison Reintroduction

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome, but these robot generated news threads are not monitored by the webmaster.

Yukon Flats Athabascan Indians are working steadily towards reintroduction of bison to their part of Alaska. Oral tradition indicates that wood bison lived in Alaska until recent times, but before western civilization came to Alaska. Stevens Village has established a bison ranch in Delta Junction as part of this overall push to bring bison back.

The Fairbanks Daily News Miner reports that "The idea to reintroduce bison to the Yukon Flats first surfaced about 15 years ago. Bison lived in the area until quite recently, but once they’d been gone for a few generations, people stopped talking about them, and there was little written record. "“There were no pencils back then,"” said Craig Fleener of Fort Yukon, a wildlife biologist pushing for the reintroduction as executive director of the Council of Athabascan Tribal Governments."

Read the entire story >>>

Read the individual article on Alaska Hunting News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Cool. I heard about this project in 1998 when I was living down river. I glad to see that they've actually gone forward with it.

I hope they figure out how to help the moose population. I would suggest smoking every wolf foolish enough to stick his head out, but that's just me.
    Now what ?