Thread: Preparing sea ducks.

Default Preparing sea ducks.

Anyone have any advice for preparing sea ducks. This will be my first shot at it and I've been told they are a bit funky.

Cut up breast meat and however much of legs you want to use in little bitty pieces. Add meat to frying pan filled with a little bit of vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and whatever other seasonings you like. Cook on high heat and cook until well done. Then mix meat in with your favorite soup. That way you won't really be able to tell just how bad they taste.

I'm serious about the above. Best way to guarantee meat won't go to waste. If you try to eat bite-size pieces then 90 percent of it will either become pet food or be thrown away.

That bad, huh? That sucks.

Yeah they tast pretty bad, all the fish they eat.

If you don't like 'em much, try making sea ducks into jerky or sausage. If you grind in enough bacon anything is edible
    Nice Marmot.

duck salami= really good
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Duck Stroganoff

My wife cuts all the duck meat into small chunks and browns it with some worchestshire sauce. Add in the sour cream, mushrooms etc.. The whole thing goes over rice or noodles. Yum. Use a beef stroganoff recipe and just substitute duck. Everything else covers the nasty ducks.
    I came home from work one night and my teenage daughter had gone out duck hunting. She was so proud. She shot, cleaned and prepared her ducks. Stroganof saved me..... I got to see the carcases later. She had a nice batch of mergansers. No more unsupervised hunts. She's older now and has kids of her own. Kids still the best shot I've seen on teal yet.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Recipe might work on sea ducks too.

Check the "Lucy's first duck" post. I think the vinegar and berries worked on the gamey taste may work on the fishy. I know that bird was stinky as I was cleaning it but great on the plate.
    www.alaskadognews.com

A guy I used to hang with from Bethel called goldeneye's "butter-balls" so apparently some people like them

Honestly, I don't think they taste that much worse than our normal "mud ducks" here in Juneau. Never tried a Merganser though.....
    Nice Marmot.

Default eating sea ducks

Don't shoot'em if you don't eat'em! That's what my dad used to tell us boys. I'll admit that mergansers are lousy, but I was raised on cans, bluebills, scooters, goldeneys, bufflehead (yea, butterballs), mud hens and even the occasional ruddy duck. All were delicious to me and my family. Marinades are great for those who don't like the taste of duck, but not needed. The trick for seaducks, as with any duck is not to over cook it. Stuff it with onions, celery and roast in a hot oven. If you want dry, liver tasting meat, just over cook your ducks! Ducks should be almost dripping with blood. Stick a fork into the breast of a roasting duck, if the liquid that appears is red with little blotches of clear, it's done! Flavor them any way you like with marinades or rubs, for me I like them just the way God made them. Mud hen breasts pounded with the old meat mallot a couple of times, then rolled in flour, salt, and pepper, and fried were a favorite sandwich, scooters too. The rest taste great if you pick the birds then cook them at 500+ degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Try them roasting this way, or fried in sandwiches.