Thread: guns and loads for small game

Default guns and loads for small game

Was wondering what everyones favorite shotgun and loads are for small game. I'm thinking about getting one of the remington SPR sxs in 20 ga. for a grouse gun since I won't have to worry about dragging it through the brush and scratching up the stock as they're already ugly right out of the box! I like 7/8 oz. of 8 shot for when the leaves are still on and the birds flush close and then go to 1 oz. 7 1/2 after the leaves fall. good shooting

I have a 20ga I'll sell you well used and a good shooter.

Default Might be interested

What have you got?

I'm torn between an old Savage Stevens 410 double, my Ruger RL 28 and my Ruger RL 20. They're all great shooters. The interchangeable chokes on the two Rugers are important features for versatility. I make no pretense that the first two are as versatile as the 20, but both are sure fun ptarmigan and snowshoe guns. I like the 1/2-ounce loads for the 410 rather than the 3". If I need more, I grab the 28. If I'm walking far or climbing, I usually carry the 20 in case I have to stick in a 3" for extra range. Otherwise I generally use 7/8-ounce load for both ptarmigan and snowshoes.

Default well used 20

How about a beat to hell 20!! the finish and blueing has been stripped thanks to that lovely greenbriar and has now been polished with blood, sweat, and tears. He might get a $1 for it but if it came with all those memories it would be priceless! I don't think you could pry that old western field out of rabbit runners cold dead hands but I can assure you when the rabbits hear that " clackity-clack " there heading for the nearest groundhog hole!!!

Default favorite grouse guns

My favorites are a beretta O/U 20 ga with 7/8 oz of high brass #9, and a 12 ga beretta auto with 1 1/8 oz high brass #9's. Both guns shoot like you were pointing your finger and those #9's are like a swarm of mad hornets. I use them both about the same amount, but tend to go with the 12 ga more often than the 20, it fits better. I know a lot of you are wondering about using #9 shot. I have killed everything from Georgia quail to Michigan grouse and woodcock to pheasants with them, all with equal results......birds in the game bag.

you got that right thunder chicken, there are way to many great memories with my old, beat-up,worn-out , great shooting 20ga to get rid of it.

Hey Grousehunter,

I used #9's for quail long ago, but always used 8's or even 7 1/2's for larger birds. Good to hear they work so well. Where do you get high brass 9's? Ought to be dandy for ptarmigan in my 20, and a nice way to up density with my 28.

Default #9's

I haven't been able to find these since we moved to AK, but Fiochii (sp) makes some really good stuff. I had to leave all my ammo behind in GA when we moved because the freight company that transported our stuff wouldn't allow ammo along with other "hazardous" stuff. Does anyone know anyone in the Anchorage or Wasilla area that carries Fiochii shotgun ammo??

I want one of those Winchester model 9410 packer's. About perfect for my hunting needs.

Default Savage model 24's

I have three of these and they are great to hunt with. 12 guage under .223, 20 guage under 22 mag., 410 under 22. The last one is my favorite and I bought it at a pawn shop cheap. It's a great rabbit, grouse gun. I load the 410 with fours for grouse and ptarmigan.

Thumbs up Another vote for Stevens

As I stated in the "single shot" post, nothing like the challenge of a .410 and the stevens is a dandy. The ol' man always said, "can't eat the brain boy, shot em in the head!" ...man, thinking back to them days...sure were a lot of days when I DIDN'T do daddy proud!

Anyway,
    Bunnies...I always shoot 6 shot in express long range out of the .410.
    Bunnies and birds...I shoot 20 gauge 6 shot high brass heavy game load.

By the way, I bought my cousin one of those SPRs (it was before Remington bought them out and they were still the "Sparten" sp? I think) and I have to say that it is one of those guns that you pay pennies for, but still reach for every time cuz it "just fits and hits".

Good Huntin
    bnr

When I rabbit hunt its head shots only,with my scoped .22.If i cant get the head shot i dont shoot,makes it more of a challenge.......and alot less messy cleaning them.

Talking Savage 24, Win 61 & 12

The Savage is a 24B DLX 20ga/22lr, it's an all around good small game getter.

The Winchester 61 22lr is an older pump, works great on the bunnies.

My Win. Model 12 16ga is a pleasure to carry in the field and just plain ole fun on grouse and ptarmagin.

Guess I could list a few more..........Tough to pick one out for a hunt and while I would love to take two out I don't, always worried about the window smashers making off with one of my precious guns!