Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idiots guide to riverboating, I need one.

Default idiots guide to riverboating, I need one.

My 60 horse jet motor arrives today. I will be putting it on my 16 foot welded gregor river boat.

I have Zero experience with running a jet, terminology of jet parts, things to watch for ect.

Where can I go for a how to guide or something along those lines so I can keep up with the info posted here?

Oh yeah, I need some help, as in physical and knowledgable, with putting this sucker on the boat PLEASE!

Default jet,s

Try Boating sportsman form. used to be called River Jet, Good info there. Go look at a bunch of other boats, see where the straight edge line,s the jet with the bottem of boat, transom bracket, where they ran there shift linkage lines so forth,

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT...... HAVE HAD MINE 5-6 YEARS STILL LEARNING. MINE IS LITTLE INBOARD SO I'M NO HELP ON SET-UP.
    I HAVE A VARIETY OF WAYS TO GET ME UNSTUCK ON BOARD WHEN I HAVE A OOPS.
    SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND....TO A POINT BUT IF YOU BACK OFF AND COME OFF STEP, NATERAL THING TO DO, YOU MIGHT BE IN TROUBLE BUT YOU CAN ALSO PUT IT FURTHER UP ON THE GRAVEL IF YOU REALLY MISCALCULATE. IF YOU CAN LOCATE CLEAR WATER STREAM TO RUN THEN YOU CAN GET AN IDEA OF READING RIVER BETTER.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY
    -PAT
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Don't ask me I'm an airboater ,We don't need water Glad you got your engine better hurry before the river is froze up.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Is the transom set up for a jet? Most of them need a jet riser in order to raise the motor about 6" so that the front of the jet foot is even with the bottom of the boat. Many of the local boat shops can sell you one or a good fabricator can make the extension. Then it is a bunch of practice reading water, I still am learning after 4 years of running rivers.

Consider a subscription to RiverJet Magazine, pretty good for winter reading and you will pick up some helpful tips...

http://riverjetmagazine.com/

Just checked, I guess they have expanded the scope a bit it is now called Boating Sportsman...

[QUOTE=fishslayer;344715]Is the transom set up for a jet? Most of them need a jet riser in order to raise the motor about 6" so that the front of the jet foot is even with the bottom of the boat. QUOTE]

Well My boats transom is straight across, not a notch cut into it. The original intention of this boat was for outboard jet use.

Looking at the motor dimensions and my transom I should be Okay without adding the extension.

I found some good info over on a pennsylvania fishing site if you can believe that. Good diagrams and instructions.

Dont know if Im gonna make it this year with the jet motor or not. Mostly I just want to get it on and be ready for bear season with it next spring.

I plan on doing some heavy exploring off of the big su. Im going to figure out how to get my canoe strapped on the boat. THat way I will have options of exploring all the little sloughs.

Normally a boat set up with a jet has the transom raised about 6 inches, from outboard jets frequently asked questions (outboard jets makes all the jet units for outboards).

7. How high exactly do you have to raise the transom?

The height is approximately six inches higher than with a propeller. It varies between different motors and boats. When the jet drive is on the motor, set the height so that the leading edge of the intake is flush with the boat bottom. Then test the boat and adjust the height, if necessary, as high as possible without air entering the pump and causing cavitation (slippage).

Go to
    http://www.outboardjets.com
    and check out the FAQ's for more info.

No power ... No steering

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    No power ... No steering
    That is a very good point. When in doubt add throttle and be sure you are not cruising along at full throttle so you have some to add.

Do you stay on the right or left side of a channel going downstream to avoid boats going upstream?

Check your pm's Matt. I'm in Anchorage too.

Ken
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Do you stay on the right or left side of a channel going downstream to avoid boats going upstream?
    You're scaring me, man! Which side of the road do you drive on?

Keep to the right, but the downstream traveling vessel has the right of way.

Here are some things I've figured out over the last 4 years of learning myself:

1. way easier going upstream than down
    2. faster you go, the better the control - power your way out of the tight spots
    3. hardly any control at slowest speed
    4. leave some throttle in reserve. that way if you get in a jam for some reason you got some juice to power out
    5. reverse don't do much
    6. it doesn't take many rocks or weeds to clog the grate and negatively jet performance. keep it clean.
    7. have a way to get unstuck - lots of methods/techniques mentioned on this forum
    8. keep your impeller and wear ring tuned up. once it gets beat up, performance drops
    9. know how to do streamside repairs on the jet unit - keep spare parts. on separate occassions, I've had the foot fall off on time due to loose bolts and another time the key that holds the impeller on the shaft broke and the impeller fell off the shaft.
    10. keep some wire you can cram in the pee hole to keep sand from clogging it up

and lastly, performance is real bad if you install the foot on backwards.

Buy a wax toilet bowl ring (without the plastic thing) and put it in a plastic food container. These make a great emergency hole stopper upper if you bust a weld or whatever. And they work on big hole too.

And please, please don't be going like hell down a narrow river just big enough for two boats! You'll need all that width plus some to maintain control and turn. If you meet another boat, there's hardly any where to go except on the bank. Once you've been on the receiving end of such situations, you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Here are some things I've figured out over the last 4 years of learning myself:

1. way easier going upstream than down
    2. faster you go, the better the control - power your way out of the tight spots
    3. hardly any control at slowest speed
    4. leave some throttle in reserve. that way if you get in a jam for some reason you got some juice to power out
    5. reverse don't do much
    6. it doesn't take many rocks or weeds to clog the grate and negatively jet performance. keep it clean.
    7. have a way to get unstuck - lots of methods/techniques mentioned on this forum
    8. keep your impeller and wear ring tuned up. once it gets beat up, performance drops
    9. know how to do streamside repairs on the jet unit - keep spare parts. on separate occassions, I've had the foot fall off on time due to loose bolts and another time the key that holds the impeller on the shaft broke and the impeller fell off the shaft.
    10. keep some wire you can cram in the pee hole to keep sand from clogging it up

and lastly, performance is real bad if you install the foot on backwards.
    All good points and some more technical ones....

11 fast flowing water is deeper than slow moving water

12 mid river "wave trains" typically mean deep water however enter them PAST the first wave as it is usually caused by a submerged object

13 read the banks; undercut verticle banks usually mean deep water, shallow beach type banks usually mean shallow water (the outside of corners is deeper)

14 when transitioning from the low side of a river to a high side through a series of "chutes" chose the first chute you feel you can make it thru, passing up on "good" chutes may leave you with only a selection of bad ones (or non at all!)

I'd like to take point one a bit further and say whenever possible ALWAYS explore a "new" or unknown channel going upstream

Cheers
    Skinny water addict

Whats a good beginer river to try? Big Su?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast